Sensation of "head pressure"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman55

Reaction score
Anyone ever had this? Heard of anyone who did? It's literally the thread subject, just a feeling of pressure all around my head.

I've had it for 10 straight years, every day. It ruins my concentration and quality of life. Sure I could have much worse health problems, but it still sucks, because my attention is not good to begin with.. and it just makes it worse.

A few years ago I went to the neurologist for an MRI, came up fine. She thought it was a migraine or headache, but most likely migraine. Tried the best anti-migraine drug available, no relief at all.

My own thoughts and the opinion of other people online who have it, it's definitely not a migraine. I have no history of migraine, nor does my family.

Anyone?

It sounds like stress to me. Does it feel like someone has fastened a band around your head which is getting tighter and tighter? If so, it is likely to be stress related.

Batman55 said:
A few years ago I went to the neurologist for an MRI, came up fine. She thought it was a migraine or headache, but most likely migraine. Tried the best anti-migraine drug available, no relief at all.

So what then? Did she just give up? "Sorry you'll just have to live with it for the rest of your life.". I'd keep going back to the doctors, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it eventually, though you may have to persist with the constant tests until they do.

I had that, and also loss of eye sight from one eye, very intense, and I managed to get a TAC scan of my brain, it turned out that it was migraine, maybe a tac scan was an exaggeration but I believe occasional hypochondriacs live longer - I got it by saying that some of my relatives died of cancer (which is actually true)

I am not saying what you have is anything bad, but if it continues for more than three weeks keep bothering the doctor to have tests

Peaches said:
I had that, and also loss of eye sight from one eye, very intense, and I managed to get a TAC scan of my brain, it turned out that it was migraine, maybe a tac scan was an exaggeration but I believe occasional hypochondriacs live longer - I got it by saying that some of my relatives died of cancer (which is actually true)

I am not saying what you have is anything bad, but if it continues for more than three weeks keep bothering the doctor to have tests

I've had it for 10 years, every single day, almost 24/7. But I must stress it is only head pressure, no head pain, no vision loss, no aura (unless sometimes waking up from a heavy dream and seeing oddly for a minute is an aura, but I don't think it is.)

9006 said:
Batman55 said:

So what then? Did she just give up? "Sorry you'll just have to live with it for the rest of your life.". I'd keep going back to the doctors, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it eventually, though you may have to persist with the constant tests until they do.

No, she offered some other ideas. So I had tried Topamax and it failed. Then she wanted me to try Depakote. Look it up if you want, and you'll realize it's a good idea that I didn't try that stuff.

I mean if you have serious migraines where you cannot get out of bed, that's when you take Depakote. But I don't even have a migraine. What I have is a frequent annoyance, and that's pretty much it. I have maybe 1 out of 8 possible migraine symptoms, that being occasional car sickness.

The other idea was botox injections to the head. But it's still very new for headaches, and it can slow the muscles in your face if done wrong.

This might sound like a simple question but are you drinking enough water? Try drinking plenty of water for a week or so and see if it makes any difference.

try massage, hydrating, yoga and other stress relief activities... change your pillow... and sleeping positions. Maybe its sleep apnea? Many things could be the cause....even sinus. I'd go back for another opinion. hope you feel better!

ten years is really a long time :( what Danielle says, if you haven't tried already, anyway glad you already did a MRI scan so at least you are safe. Another option is posture/facial expressions, that can actually give headaches although I don't know if also of your kind.

I definitely drink lots of water.

And yes it could be a posture problem, as I do use the computer a lot and probably don't sit correctly. Then there's the fact that I'm very tense all the time anyway. I was hoping to explore these ideas with the neurologist, as well as trigger points, but she didn't seem to like this approach.

I could find another neurologist but I'm not going to try another migraine preventive drug, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Maybe I'll have to see a chiropractor instead.

Many things can cause it... For me, I start out with that feeling... The heavy pressure, then it gives way to a migraine if I am not careful and avoid the cause.

Dehydration, tension, and stress. That's what I narrowed it down to for myself.
For you, you will want to look at absolutely everything, including your tension and what it causes. Things like stress, are easy to figure out. Anxiety and the feeling of being overwhelmed as well... However some things, such as back or joint pain can also be a factor. Some doctors, are in it for money. If they don't listen to you, you may need a new one. I found this out, with a few docs who said "nah you're wrong, and what you mentioned has NOTHING to do with the issue. Take these drugs!" Here, selling meds is how they get ahead.

Latest posts

Back