Smoking a pack a day

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently unemployed after being made redundant. Never used to smoke but kinda picked it up over the years (can't remember how)

I can give up anytime, and should with me being broke (not to mention health risks)

But I love it too much.

Have cut it down to around 10 a week though. Don't think I could ever smoke a pack a day

perfanoff said:
Similar to alcohol addiction
It's a catch-22

Thats how they getcha

Legato said:
I'm currently unemployed after being made redundant. Never used to smoke but kinda picked it up over the years (can't remember how)

I can give up anytime, and should with me being broke (not to mention health risks)

But I love it too much.

Have cut it down to around 10 a week though. Don't think I could ever smoke a pack a day

I didnt think I could either. I used to scold my parents and friends for smoking

Legato said:

But I love it too much.

:D

perfanoff said:
Legato said:

But I love it too much.

:D

Haha I actually can.

People laugh at me when I say that, but I recently went 6 months without smoking. Didn't bother me at all. I don't crave cigs like most smokers, it's not even habbit. As I was more of a social smoker, it's easier to give up whilst being less social :p

If I have something to occupy my time like work or school I dont need a smoke. Otherwise I want one just to have something to do. When I started I was merely a social smoker, smoking maybe 1 or 2 a day if even. Unless I had a few beers then I could chain smoke like a mofo lol. Now its not hard for me to pick up a cig right after another.

I used to smoke 60 a day, then I got up one morning and thought "This is costing me a fortune and all I'm getting out of it is an increased chance of lung cancer". I stopped smoking that day and never started again.

I still considered myself a smoker for a good 10 years after quitting. I never really missed the physical feeling of smoking, but I hated having nothing to do with my hands.

user 130057 said:
I used to smoke 60 a day, then I got up one morning and thought "This is costing me a fortune and all I'm getting out of it is an increased chance of lung cancer". I stopped smoking that day and never started again.

I still considered myself a smoker for a good 10 years after quitting. I never really missed the physical feeling of smoking, but I hated having nothing to do with my hands.

Well done man! Thats a great achievement. I smoke as much as I do for the same reason, if Im not keeping myself busy my hands feel empty.

xninjaguyx said:
user 130057 said:

Well done man! Thats a great achievement. I smoke as much as I do for the same reason, if Im not keeping myself busy my hands feel empty.

Thanks man. It was many years ago now, but I still remember how much I used to 'enjoy' it. It wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I imagined either; I did it without patches or gum or any other aids. I guess that once you've made your mind up and really want to quit, it becomes much easier.

I recommend trying e-cigarettes. They're much cheaper and very effective. I use them and haven't craved for a real smoke in around 6-7 months. They're fantastic!

Started smoking when I was 15. My family has a grocery store, and for some reason they don't check and re-check wares. I used to steal cigarettes there by the reams. I have been incapable of stopping even just for a day ever since. Same to you, a pack a day, give or take. On days my whole body feels like honeysuckle from smoking too much, I still consume at the most ten sticks.
Tried E-cig for awhile a few months back. I lasted for two weeks with smoking only 0-2 a day. Then a particularly stressful moment happened, and then hello ******, here we go again. Back to **** square one. Failing to quit has been as frustrating as the disgust with my own habit -_-

RonYells said:
Started smoking when I was 15. My family has a grocery store, and for some reason they don't check and re-check wares. I used to steal cigarettes there by the reams. I have been incapable of stopping even just for a day ever since. Same to you, a pack a day, give or take. On days my whole body feels like honeysuckle from smoking too much, I still consume at the most ten sticks.
Tried E-cig for awhile a few months back. I lasted for two weeks with smoking only 0-2 a day. Then a particularly stressful moment happened, and then hello ******, here we go again. Back to **** square one. Failing to quit has been as frustrating as the disgust with my own habit -_-

I started about three years ago, and would only smoke maybe a couple a day. It's only recently that I've become somewhat of a heavy smoker. I can often feel the toll, but I start jonesing when I don't have any, especially when I get really stressed. I tried e-cigs for a few weeks, but like you, they just wouldn't cut it when it got too stressful.

What do you think caused you to increase your intake of cigarettes? I remember the times I started becoming a chain-smoker. I like to think and ponder, and smoking became my excuse to temporarily cut myself off from social situations. But what really caused me to become addicted was those long talks with past people. For me a conversation is not a conversation without me having to light up. Soon the ritual stuck, even when I have no one to talk to anymore

xninjaguyx said:
Less money I have, the more I want a smoke... Im broke!

I ******* hear YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so ironic that the more broke you are the more you want to spend money!

I have been trying to quit smoking, phat chance of that happening!

Latest posts

Back