So why online instead of in life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
Just wondering why other people would rather post how lonely they are online instead of telling someone in real life. Maybe some of you have tried or have no one to tell. I know I keep it secret pretty much people at school don't have any clue what I am really like so its only here online I can be honest and say how I am probly cause none of you know me and its safe to do it here.

I come online since whenever I'm lonely since I have nobody to talk to. My friends are all busy. As for my parents, well they don't care. They'll just turn the conversation around into some way to get mad at me. So I come online to see if anyone else would understand how I feel, and also so I don't die of boredom.

Josh said:
Maybe some of you have tried or have no one to tell.
Or because we have to keep up appearances.

I hate myself for it--for acting like someone I am not, for being someone that I am not, for saying words that I don't mean but must say. Some days the self-loathing is so great that I feel like punching the wall (and then immediately file it away as a bad idea).

There is no way out for me either. That is, no way out that I could take and then also respect myself afterwards.

I really don't have anyone to tell. I have no friends and no acquaintances outside work, and I'm not close to anyone in my family. So if I wanted to tell someone I'm lonely, my choices would be the grocery store cashier or my coworkers, with whom I only have professional relationships.

I don't tell people in real life usually 'cause you have to find someone who cares. Telling someone who doesn't care just feels worse.

Josh said:
Just wondering why other people would rather post how lonely they are online instead of telling someone in real life. Maybe some of you have tried or have no one to tell. I know I keep it secret pretty much people at school don't have any clue what I am really like so its only here online I can be honest and say how I am probly cause none of you know me and its safe to do it here.

i agree LOL i've found i can express my poems and the way i feel to others who have been through it all and get support.. in the past i have tried to express to others how i have felt and they basucally turned around and said " shut up you stupid emo.. i don't care"
i am NOT emo and it's like now i keep stuff to myself cos some peopel don't really care

you will be suprised at how many people will say "yes, i am lonley too, lets go get some coffee?"

isolation,.....a need to speak my own language
so i am trying online,......i crave to have the ability to open my door and go outside and meet people at church ,library, parks ,anywhere that speak english ,what i wouldnt do for a 24/7 walmart here.

I prefer online because lately going out makes me only sad and depressed. Except for work, I don't go out so willingly. I don't see so often my best friend (maybe the only true friend I've got) cause we're busy and often we don't see each other even on saturday. The other people I know I've realized they aren't really friends, moreover lately they're doing things I don't like. So, what's the use to go out at night? I still can't find any other way to socialize.

Empathy said:
I don't tell people in real life usually 'cause you have to find someone who cares.  Telling someone who doesn't care just feels worse.

Very true, it's hard to find people you can trust with your deepest thoughts.

I'm glad that online communities such as this one provide a alternate way to express yourself freely.

It is necessary to unleash the pain or it will eat you up inside.

Yup lonleyness is a cruel thing.  I truly believe that all off humanity wants to find love.  The things is that we as humans really have a problem understanding and accepting one another in essence we are worse then dogs.  I hope that everyone is able to find someone they love and who loves them so their lonleyness disapers.  Things are what things are though and in the end its up to each person to make things work for themselves, because in the end at the end of the day the only person you can always count on is yourself even if your at a state of not trusting yourself.  Anyways I wish all gl and I will leave with this quote that I read today that happens to peak my intrest.  “Despair comes from hope.  However, it’s difficult for a person to live without hope.  The only choice is for a person to live together with despair.” –Samurai Champloo.

I feel more open online, I can be myself, beside I don't have friends, not real friend anyway. That why I like it online more than real life.
My real life suck !!

Hi Anwar,

I know what you mean. I really have only one friend and that friend doesn't really understand me. I have always longed for a circle of friends who are artistic, intelligent, and like to talk about the world and politics, etc. I've never met those people with whom I can be honest!

Online is easy fast and does not leave one as vulnerable. Let's face it were' probably not the most attractive people on the planet. This way we can "SEE" each other's personalities rather than just the outsides, which blinds us from what the person REALLY looks like.

I don't think attractiveness/appearance really has much to do with it at all. I'm young, thin, good-looking, and I'm still online rather than out talking to real people. Furthermore, of the two people I've ever been interested in, neither one was what people would consider conventionally attractive, and neither one of them were in the least bit interested in me.

Eleagnus,

I've already confessed that while I have "such a pretty face" I am fat. Well I have been attracted in the past to geeky guys, somewhat "ugly" guys aka non-conventionally attractive guys, and they did not like me either! It's so strange. Sometimes men are dumb. It's not your fault. There are so many men out there who will like you! Especially since you are apparently bless with youth thin and attractive! GRRR Don't rub it in eh? :p

Ultimately, we might be better off if we could just find good friends or significant others to take away some of our loneliness. I remember only a short time ago when I didn't feel as lonely because I had someone special in my life. However, in the absence of having good people that we can connect with (I have read a number of posts about people who have significant others, but still feel lonely), it's a wonderful thing that we can come to a place like this and at least see that we are not truly alone in our feelings of loneliness. It almost makes it seem a little more normal. At least that is why I like it here.

Hi I dunno,

It does make one take heart that other people know that this modern society is causing loneliness. Many people are lonely. Imagine all the old folks in homes who don't have computers to chat with others, and how lonely they are. It's depressing!!!

I'm glad we have this forum, thanks to Bjarne for creating it and allowing us to see each other here on this place!

I agree with lonelygirl. It is easier to post online since we don't have to worry about appearance judgements. I don't have to worry about being called ugly, and people won't be afraid of me since they wouldn't see me cry. We can make friends with pretty much anyone online, sort of like kindergarden. I miss kindegarden. So much innocence, and no worries. I'd kill for some of that right now.

Latest posts

Back