Something old

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrens

Reaction score
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg341/monostone/gracesmall.jpg
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg341/monostone/yy1.jpg
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg341/monostone/finish2.jpg

I wanted to make something new to post, but I couldn't, I wanted to post something anyway, so I posted something old (well first one was new) as I never had any audience before on sites with high traffic, not even in real life, things often gets buried.

So I guess it's my way of wanting attention to make myself feel better, I can't really admit that and do that on other places, but expression is pointless if you have no one to perceive it.

On here I could admit I'm lonely, and just show a little bit of myself I guess, even though I have no intention to post much about myself, and often would like to keep a distance from people, but I continuously attempted to shape myself into some ideal figure and trying to reach out to people as someone I'm not, and that's really painful and makes me even more lonely than I should be, it backfires, not sure if that made sense, but I hope it does to some.

Wow...those are pretty darn good. :D Pen and ink or software?

And don't worry about not being understood or anything backfiring here...I find that everyone on this site is extremely warm and open with whoever comes and shares whatever they're feeling, good or bad.

----Steve

Lawrens said:
but expression is pointless if you have no one to perceive it.

i do a lot of drawing, painting and music that no-one sees or hears.. for my creative endeavours i have received feeback ranging from awe to distaste, some people react positively and with interest and others are good at criticizing..

i still get occasional comments about selling or displaying my work, but for a long time now it isn't about that for me anymore, its just about the pure joy of creating and losing myself in the process.

:)

your work is cool by the way, keep it up :)

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
i do a lot of drawing, painting and music that no-one sees or hears.. for my creative endeavours i have received feeback ranging from awe to distaste, some people react positively and with interest and others are good at criticizing..

i still get occasional comments about selling or displaying my work, but for a long time now it isn't about that for me anymore, its just about the pure joy of creating and losing myself in the process.

Thanks for the response. I wish I can do that:)

You received feedbacks and comments, that was what I meant when I said your expression being perceived :) They don't have to always be positive or negative, but the slight connection.

What I meant was that I'd like to think positively and I do everywhere else, I never really ask for feedbacks but just do what I do, I could tell objectively how bad my works are, so I'm not particularly asking for a certain positive reaction, but after a while it becomes painful when I can't keep that up, making me feel like it was all just a lie, and I realized the fact that I really wanted at least 1 person to truly like my work. I hate to see myself that way, but I thought I could say that here on this site, because I am lonely, I can't tell anyone that elsewhere, I'm not really the positive optimistic still in learning student artist people might think I am elsewhere.

You could say I just want to be that kid who likes to draw and wanted my parents to look at the doodlings, it is just that slight interaction that I find so pleasing.

Wow...those are pretty darn good. Pen and ink or software?

Software, if I remember right, I think I used Gimp for the last 2, but Corel Painter for the first.
I can't really ink in real life, as I don't have a steady hand, I'm not good with line weight, and I'd hate to make mistakes and redo the entire thing, I hate to waste papers, though I guess maybe my computer is killing the environment more.

yeah, i hear what you're saying, we tend to be our own worst critics.. i did half a visual arts degree but just lost the inspiration for many years, plus i had a major problem with being 'graded' for my creativity and other little rules that seemed really important to the art teachers, like the sin of drawing from a photograph. i liked drawing from photo's and didn't see anything wrong with it but i found that studying art i began to subtly change the sorts of things i liked doing in anticipation of a good grade by providing the assessors with what they wanted.. i felt that i wanted to be taught 'technique' more than what was considered appropriate forms of expression..

anyway, years later i a met an older dude who told me that when he was doing the same degree he noticed that the people that had the most fun and enjoyed the course the most were the one's that didn't give a honeysuckle what the teachers wanted and did whatever suited them, it occured to me i would've been better off approaching the course with this attitude :)

i like the second image of yours the most. i like the yin-yang motif :)

Yea I used to draw a lot from photos, it's not really good for learning the shapes and form of the object I was drawing, but I have no one else I could draw, it's not like I could pull brad pitt out of my closet and do a portrait of him.

I enjoy it a lot until I figure out I was going nowhere, and not really looking any better each one I do. Then I stopped, I'm not sure if I could be happy doing them again as it'd just look similar or worst.

Some pencil sketches from photos:

View attachment 8View attachment 9View attachment 1

Attachments

• pitt.jpg
    pitt.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • bowie1.jpg
    bowie1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 11
  • gogh.jpg
    gogh.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 11
That is some pretty impressive work.

Great work Lawrens I think you're really talented. I really like the second design and the Van Gogh sketch in particular. I think maybe you're better than you think you are.

those sketches are faultless. if you didn't use 'proportion grids' (or some other way to transfer the exact proportions..) and just drew them straight out then you have extrodinary talent. even if you did you have an acute eye, particularly for tone. in any case they are very impressive.

you can always study from life if you want. if you lilke portraiture as you seems to, you can always use a mirror for self portraits, the only drawback is it's pretty hard to do 3/4 views.

of course there are life drawing classes, shopping centres and parks where people sit around for a while (particularly older people) or i knew a girl that would take train trips and draw people on the train which is a bit easier than drawing on a bus (next to impossible :))

seriously good sketches though :)

I used a pencil to measure the approximate distance between eyes and their ratios and such, and used the cross thingy for balance, generally like I'd do in art classes with a model, it's kind of hard to eyeball everything.

Yea I've thought about drawing from life, probably the best place would be the library. Feel like a stalker most of the time though trying to get the best spot where I could see people :/

Latest posts

Back