Sorry, just...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwasaloverb4thiswar

Reaction score
...feel like I want to punch life in the ******* mouth, aka Sarah's 2008 Year in Review.

Jesus christ I couldn't even make it through the end of December could I?!
So, on my way to my LAST exam of the semester this morning the tread on my passenger's side front tire blew out while I was on the highway. AMAZINGLY the tire remained intact, it just managed to scare the living honeysuckle out of me and make this awful loud "wup wup wup" sound while shaking my car to bits. However, I had to pull off at the next exit (I was only a few miles from home, just having gotten on the highway) and drive back home with my hazards on. I realize now this might not have been the best course of action but I didn't have anyone to come and get me. Well I made it home fine, and I AM very lucky that nothing worse happened knowing that my car is in a progressed stage of disrepair.

This year has pretty much been a personal honeysuckle storm, so I was looking forward to the New Year with hopes that it would be a better one, but apparently 2008 was just not finished with me yet. And yes, I know what you're thinking, it could have been worse, it's just a tire, it's replaceable. You're right, however right at this moment I wish I did believe in God so I would have someone to blame, and possibly physically maim in some way.

All in all though I think I have gotten through this year without too many long term consequences, besides maybe an atrocious credit score and a slight increase in blood pressure. After all of this I have managed to keep both my health insurance and car insurance (barely), a job, my limbs, my sanity (maybe), and haven't yet been disowned or homeless.

And what has been gained? Well I think after this year I feel that I could handle almost any situation with more grace and maturity, I have learned some humility and appreciation for the people and opportunities in my life, I now understand my strengths and weaknesses, I shed some toxic relationships, strengthened/gained some good ones, now have an idea of what I might want to do for a career, and hey, even earned some college credit along the way. So that puts me at...sophomore and a half? Awesome. The four year plan is for pussies anyway.

I know for a lot of people here it is very easy to be consumed by the negative, and hell, sometimes the bad luck seems to be a custom deal; personalized just for you. However, if nothing else this year has taught me that it is important to keep your head above the water and realize that more than likely you will wake up tomorrow still intact, that no matter who you are there are people that care about you and that you and your life, your work, and your contribution are of value. Today is not your only day, you will have many more days in the future to learn new things, to meet new people, to fresia up and to redeem yourself. There is nothing wrong with taking the long (and muddy, and pot-hole strewn) road. And in the end you will be a better person for it.
To add to the cheese fest; I have three little sayings that I have found to be very very true and that I would like to share. These all have been around for awhile so most of you have probably heard them;

The first is this, for when I the tire first pops and the panic sets in. It lends itself to being repeated at an anxiety-attack pace, so it ends up sounding like a mantra:

All shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

And the truth is, they will be. It is important to not let fear and anxiety guide your decisions in moments of crises, just remember that you will be okay. The second is for the times when guilt and regret seem to creep in. Being someone that has made a lot of mistakes, I know how powerful those emotions can be, and how much they can affect future choices if left to run rampant over our self-esteem. Forgiveness of others, and more importantly, ourselves, is key. You can't let your past overshadow your whole future, we will all do things we regret, but that does not inhibit our capacity to do the things we can be proud of:

You can't judge a person by thier best or thier worst, one does not determine the other.

And lastly, this one kind of follows from the second (which was actually a quote from my mother, I know, gag :p):

One thing can't be doubted, the "possibility of a quality" is within us. It is called prajna. We can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being better.

That is a quote from the big man btw, and by that I mean the Dalai Lama. No matter who you are or what you have done, you have the potential to be your better self, to honor that potential.

And so the quotes kind of follow in this order; consciousness, forgiveness, and hope. Those are the things I hope to carry with me into the new year, let's see how it goes :)

cool...thanks for sharing your story.
This past year had been a son of *@$$% for me.
my freaken ass fell off a couple of times but I manage to live through it all clean and sober.
Maybe i'm stonger, maybe I'm weaker...who the heck knows.
I feel better about myself inspite of it all.
I'm hoping this is the light at the end of tunnel. A little bit of sunshine in my life finally.

This last year had some REALLY crappy downs for me but i have found that i am ALOT stonger than i though i could be. Hell a lot stronger than i think i should be. SO i figure Bring it on 2009...i know you are going to honeysuckle on some of us but we hopefully can stand together, wipe the honeysuckle off, and be stong.

Hugs to you all!!!

-Blueindia

2008 has been a rollercoaster.

Almost had some better work as a crew than what we're doing now.
Almost had a date a couple times. Almost.
Almost saved as much as I should have.

And then the stock market. Holy ****. I have a little money in stocks...I don't regret the companies I own shares in. They're good companies. They'll be worth more than I bought for some day...but I wish I hadn't jumped in when I did. It's been one step forward, three steps back the whole year.

Here's to 2009. To better all-round success, and hopefully, if we're lucky, a fourth quarter stock market recovery ;)

Brian said:
2008 has been a rollercoaster.

Almost had some better work as a crew than what we're doing now.
Almost had a date a couple times. Almost.
Almost saved as much as I should have.

And then the stock market. Holy ****. I have a little money in stocks...I don't regret the companies I own shares in. They're good companies. They'll be worth more than I bought for some day...but I wish I hadn't jumped in when I did. It's been one step forward, three steps back the whole year.

Here's to 2009. To better all-round success, and hopefully, if we're lucky, a fourth quarter stock market recovery ;)

You can hope Brian, but i do not think the stock market is going to get any better next year, in fact from what i know about economics, its going to get worse, a hell of a lot worse. This is just the beginning.

Yeah, it's a bloody mess for sure. There's a few analysts that tend to be decently accurate though who have been postulating on a late 2009 recovery...nothing huge, but a light at the end of the tunnel at least. At any rate stocks tend to show signs of recovery before the actual economy does...so for now I'm making that my carrot-on-a-stick.

Truth be told though, this is the best time to be thinking about getting in to stocks. There's already a load of incredible bargains floating around for big, blue chip companies that will weather this out...or for companies that are only down in price because everything else is. Once this is over there's going to be more than a few new millionaires walking around.

So if any of you have money saved that you want to do something with, I would advise at least learning about mutual funds or something, and finding one to keep an eye on :)

Brian said:
Yeah, it's a bloody mess for sure. There's a few analysts that tend to be decently accurate though who have been postulating on a late 2009 recovery...nothing huge, but a light at the end of the tunnel at least. At any rate stocks tend to show signs of recovery before the actual economy does...so for now I'm making that my carrot-on-a-stick.

Truth be told though, this is the best time to be thinking about getting in to stocks. There's already a load of incredible bargains floating around for big, blue chip companies that will weather this out...or for companies that are only down in price because everything else is. Once this is over there's going to be more than a few new millionaires walking around.

So if any of you have money saved that you want to do something with, I would advise at least learning about mutual funds or something, and finding one to keep an eye on :)

What companies do you think will weather this out? I want names :)

stella said:

As far as blue chips go? I'm by no means an analyst or adviser, but off the top of my head I'd consider the following to be good, big companies to keep an eye on:

GE (General Electric)
FCX (Freeport McMoran Copper & Gold)
CAT (Caterpillar)
F (Ford Motor Company)

I'm hoping to save up for some GE shares, personally. FCX is a big time miner and when things start coming back up, and if Obama puts money towards infrastructure like he wants, FCX will definitely gain. CAT will too. As for Ford, they seem to be making the most adaptations and doing the best out of the American auto makers. They have enough liquidity to actually not need any of the bailout money being talked about, and so I think they're the most likely to survive this on their own. If they adapt accordingly to changes in the auto market like they should have been doing, they could be profitable. Actually they've seen sales increases in this past couple of months.

All four companies are at bargain prices right now. The top 3 I would classify as almost definitive safe bets.

Smaller companies get riskier, but a couple good ones:

RICK (Ricks Cabaret) is the only publicly traded "Gentlemans Club" around. They're doing quite fine financially and are only down due to broader market sentiment.

CFSG (China Fire Security Group) continues to post growing profits and sign new contracts for industrial fire suppression systems. They also have one of their executives as part of the Chinese government board that sets fire safety standards. Ah, the sweet smell of conflict of interest :p

Brian said:
stella said:

As far as blue chips go? I'm by no means an analyst or adviser, but off the top of my head I'd consider the following to be good, big companies to keep an eye on:

GE (General Electric)
FCX (Freeport McMoran Copper & Gold)
CAT (Caterpillar)
F (Ford Motor Company)

I'm hoping to save up for some GE shares, personally. FCX is a big time miner and when things start coming back up, and if Obama puts money towards infrastructure like he wants, FCX will definitely gain. CAT will too. As for Ford, they seem to be making the most adaptations and doing the best out of the American auto makers. They have enough liquidity to actually not need any of the bailout money being talked about, and so I think they're the most likely to survive this on their own. If they adapt accordingly to changes in the auto market like they should have been doing, they could be profitable. Actually they've seen sales increases in this past couple of months.

All four companies are at bargain prices right now. The top 3 I would classify as almost definitive safe bets.

Smaller companies get riskier, but a couple good ones:

RICK (Ricks Cabaret) is the only publicly traded "Gentlemans Club" around. They're doing quite fine financially and are only down due to broader market sentiment.

CFSG (China Fire Security Group) continues to post growing profits and sign new contracts for industrial fire suppression systems. They also have one of their executives as part of the Chinese government board that sets fire safety standards. Ah, the sweet smell of conflict of interest :p

I wonder how hard it would be for me to buy shares in American companies :S It will probably be cheaper than buying British ones. I still have no idea how i would go about it though, who do i go see or call if i want to buy shares?

I'm reading a lot of negative "This year has sucked for me" comments... I'll say this, and it comes from the bottom of my heart.

You're still breathing, and still living and able to live. Cherish it, and let go. Look forward, and stop always looking back. Don't look at what could have been. Look at what it could be. New year, new leaf. Let's turn them over, shall we? :)

no wonder everyone here is unhappy if this is how you make yourselves feel better.
this site is so negative, I come here feeling right as rain and leave wanting to carve ALT F4 into my arm and take blog pics while I bleed to death.
honeysuckle son. I mean really.

I'm so pissed off right now, I don't even know anymore.

Qui said:
no wonder everyone here is unhappy if this is how you make yourselves feel better.
this site is so negative, I come here feeling right as rain and leave wanting to carve ALT F4 into my arm and take blog pics while I bleed to death.
honeysuckle son. I mean really.

I'm so pissed off right now, I don't even know anymore.

lol well qui, i did redeem myself a bit at the end there, though i dont expect anyone to get that far. I've been told I take way to long to get to my point.

The last year I guess was pretty good for me,in fact.

Got to know some new friends
Some of the old friends gone
Learn to lead
Know who is the right people

Tat it.

Latest posts

Back