Suicide and True Friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot speak from the POV of a suicidal person but I will be speaking from the POV of the person that have been close to a very depressive person. I have always been a very positive person, I am the kind of person that tries to find the good even in the worst situation. However, during a very dark period in his life I have been his cheer leader and never stopped believing in him. We go to this bar he fondly calls his "depressive room" and brood sometimes egging me on about things, I guess he hates it that I am always so positive :)

Nevertheless, I persevered even when I felt being pulled down by his depression, I felt suffocated by his dark mood and had to stay away for a day or 2 to catch my breath and recover. I am not going to mince my words but the truth is... it is extremely hard to be with a depressive person. Eventually he got better and thankfully got his life on track though we are no longer together due to some reasons.

What I am trying to say here padfoot is you being clingy and constantly demanding attention from them and the guilt trips will really drag a person down. They care about you as shown by their concern.... but like what other people say friendships are by choice.

Lonesome Crow said:
Guilt...stopped playing guilt trips with your friends.
When you speak of suicide...you make people worry..it makes them feel sick.
You're dragging thier emotions through the mud.
You're trying to hold your freinds emotionally hostage.
It drains all of thier energy.
It's a messed way to get attention....

Would you want a freind that you worry about to the poiont you feel sick, guilty, can't think straight, and stress ?
It can't be that hard to comprehend or understand.

Reverse the process...LOVE yourself and foremost, take care of yourself, cherish yourself, vaule your life.
There's no magic to it..It just takes practice and a change of attitude.
Happiness and love starts from the inside and expand outward.
Disciplne yourself...take charge of your life. Honor yourself by living. Respect yourself and live.
If you don't vaule yourself or your life...how then will you value a freindship ?

Forgive yourself and move forward...step up to the plate.

People don't have to forgive you...becuase people are free to make chioces as they wish.
Poeple don't have to do anything....just like you don't have to do anything...

You have a chioce....

Self pity...we all have them...I've been there and done that.
It got me no where...other then just misery.
I chose not to do that today again...fresia that.
That was insane suffering crap. I'm not putting myself through that again.

epic

There have been a few suicides amongst my friends in recent years (it hasn't been fun). I'd like to highlight a contrast between two of them.

One guy, he'd been talking about topping himself since we knew him. Not in an attention-seeking way. Whenever the conversation turned (as it sometimes does with friends) to death or old age, he'd simply say he planned to die sometime. We knew he struggled with life, we all did, but he didn't make a fuss or scream and shout he'd just look us in the eye and tell us what he thought and then he'd carry on with the conversation perfectly normally as it were.

Then a couple of years ago he was really really struggling, and he went off camping in the hills with a lot of drink. He came back, looking haggard as hell but also sort of serene and didn't say anything we noticed at the time, but afterwards we realised he'd come to each of us in turn and made a quiet goodbye. Not a big thing, but he'd just spoken a few words to us about ... friendship and stuff. And the next week he jumped off a bridge.

Now, I'm not saying it was a good thing at all - I could kick his ASS for doing it. He was an awesome awesome friend, so kind and generous to everyone. I found out later that there'd been a really messed up guy living in the shed down the street from him, who our mate had basically saved the life of a few times from the local thugs and stuff, and given more money and food than he could afford himself. And having to speak to his mum at the funeral and after was ... unspeakably difficult. But she told us she knew it had been coming, and he'd made his peace with her too the day before. And in a weird way we all ... I dunno ... we could almost accept his decision. Not really, but almost. It was a decision.

And then, then there was another friend who struggled with drink and drugs, and had lived on the streets a couple of times. He'd never talked about suicide, he used to say things like "I wish I had cancer, then at least I'd be looked after". And he was struggling a couple of years ago. A couple of us tried to help him as best we could, but he didn't half make it difficult - running off in the middle of the night, ringing us from all sorts of places begging to be picked up and taken to hospital. But, well, he was my best mate so god **** what can ya do eh? You drop anything, and go, and kick ass when you get to him but do it while giving him a bear hug and telling him, demanding he listened that you love him. And he knew that we'd been there ourselves in the past, it wasn't like we didn't understand his hurt and fear...

And he got off the streets into a half-way house, where there were professional counsellors and help and activities... and security. He was looking so much better, so much healtheir, like the mate we knew. And then out of the blue he hung himself.

That was tough. His family were simply destroyed. His mates were destroyed. The poor buggers in the house he was in were destroyed. It wasn't even... he didn't do it cleanly. It was the ... it was like he'd done it out of some sudden rush of anger, like a tantrum at the world but one which f**ks up EVERYTHING.

And.. well... it really wasn't good.

Don't commit suicide, anyone. It's such a selfish thing to do, it really is.

If you hate yourself so much you want to die, then probably you hate yourself enough to take the pain of living. If you hate yourself, if you think you deserve to die, then suicide's cheating - if you think you deserve the worst, then BLOODY LIVE WITH YOURSELF!

And if things are that bad you can't see any way out of the pain, that's the sort of pain that says you care. You care about yourself - that's why you can't take the pain any more. But if you care about yourself, then care more about yourself than the pain. BLOODY CARRY ON CARING! What's the point in hurting coz you care, only to do something which shows you never gave a honeysuckle?

The only way suicide will NOT be a cheat is for someone with a horribly debilitating, chronic, last-stages, terminal disease. And even then.... still not the first option.

Suicide? fresia THAT.

:p

Hi
I agree with everything epic said. My friend's dad shot himself last year. He was 80, I'm still angry and sad that he would do that. Suicide is never the solution to any problem.

Teresa

maybe he is an extraordinarily deep person and is too smart to reach out to the positive side of things. maybe he is fed up with the likes of you.

(i do not mean this in any offensive way toward you whatsoever)

My best mate when i was 17 hung himself after a holiday we took with a few mates his reason we suspect was being turned down by a girl he liked and he thought he was ugly but really wasnt i had another mate when i was roughly 21 that had stayed at my house all weekend then went home and hung himself it wasnt until after i realised what state of mind he was in i still to this day feel partly guitly over that and ive known at least 3 others to kill themselves all under the age of 25 its bitterfuckingsweet symphony this life

When I was suicidal I believed that suicide was just a shortcut to whatever happens when we die. I thought people who choose to live through all this crap were idiots. Why the hell would you want to go through this torture only to die anyway.
I figured I'd just shorten the journey. Fast forward through life and move on.

A Good Video (warning: some pictures of cutting :S)
[youtube]ceqo_XpEUwk&feature=related[/youtube]

An Interesting Video:
[youtube]eNdF65mNnG4[/youtube]

Lonesome Crow said:
Thank you I like being your ass hole...

maybe that's why fucken people push your ass away...everybody miss understand your ass...
They got your fucken suicide date mixed up. It messed up their sechdule.

You don't get it you do ??? :p

ass!

fresia off and don't fucken apologize to me..lmao
fresia that honeysuckle...how this for indirect ?

The chioce is yours to make....
It's your chioce. The buck stops with you. Not your friends. Not me. Not anyone else.
You live or die by your chioces. We all do.
You have a chioce.

You need to be sensititve to the suicidal person's feelings. They are in extreme pain and do not need to be attacked. You mean well but you are in fact damaging the person. A suicidal person needs advice on how to handle the problems that they find are so painful that they can no longer feel anything in life except emotional pain. You would be more help if you would be gentle and encouraging. You can essentially say the same message you have, i.e., that it is their choice, without ridiculing.

padfoots said:
I thought that I had made 2 very good friends. For a time, we were even close. And then, they just pushed me away. Their reason? "It's always just been us. Please understand.":club:

I had already planned my suicide for months. This was just the leverage I needed to actually go through with it. On the day, I left some strange messages on plurk, such as: "making one last playlist". I was planning on listening to my favorite songs as a slowly died from oxygen deprivation. I won't mention what I was going to use and all that. Just that it had something to do with making sure my body could no longer receive oxygen. I don't want people here trying that, now, do I?

One of them suspected and was panicking. Both of them spoke to me. I didn't go through with the suicide.

I still talked about suicide. It made them angry. They said that me still thinking about it made everything they said seem like garbage. I tried to apologize. They wouldn't even look at me. I sent them an e-mail, all Chelzie did was leave a plurk that said, "You still don't understand."

I don't know what i'm supposed to understand. But I think I do. I think it's just that they can't accept me wanting to die. And because they can't accept or respect that, they don't want to be my friend, or they can't. Because possibly in the event that I do die, they wouldn't be able to take it.

I told my brother about it. He said, "Screw them. They're not your true friends.":club:

I find it so easy to 'click' with people. But then I just seem to be a passing thing, an interesting toy that you play with for maybe a week then forget about. Maybe I'm too clingy. Actually, I know I am. But I want a friend. Someone who's not just always there for talking. I want someone who's also there when you need them, and they go even if they don't want to.

Dear Gentle Soul Padfoots, I am glad you didn't succeed. If you look hard enough, there is always hope (see www.greatday.com). I hope you have found strategies to handle the problems that drove you to this horrible point of desparation. I totally get it. I have tried twice in my lifetime. I understand that it is simply a way of escaping emotional pain that is so bad it feels like living through torture every single day. Day and night I was crying. I could not sleep well. I looked forward to nothing. I felt hopeless. It was like having someone beat you everyday and not having a way to stop it.

Your "friends" reaction was completely self-interested. You are better off rejecting them. At such a low point in your life, at such a crisus state, they should have thought nothing about themselves but only of how to help you out of this way of thinking. True friends would put time and effort into counseling you. They would hug you, wipe away your tears, and encourage you with self-help books and positive affirmations.

In hindsight, all I needed was someone (an adult or a peer) to befriend me, to help me see different ways of handling my problems. I never got that. No one cared. I ended-up in intensive care and I survived. Again, I was back into my tortuous life, suffering and suffering. I planned another suicide attempt but never carried it off. Maybe because I found my husband to be. At least I had someone to love me. He didn't help me cope better though. His advice was good natured but simplistic, "Don't care what people think". I had to figure all the answers out by myself. Doctors merely processed me. Family didn't care. There were no friends. That was my biggest problem. I had it drilled into my head by my verbally abusive father that I was bad to the core. When I failed at making friends, I reasoned that it was because I was bad and was wrong. Never thought that it was situational. That some people would overlook my faults. That I was lacking social skills because my parents didn't have any. I have found a way to relieve the pain besides suicide. You can also. If you want to talk, please feel free to email me.
Sincerely with Care
Floating :rolleyes:

epic fale boy said:
Don't commit suicide, anyone. It's such a selfish thing to do, it really is.

If you hate yourself so much you want to die, then probably you hate yourself enough to take the pain of living. If you hate yourself, if you think you deserve to die, then suicide's cheating - if you think you deserve the worst, then BLOODY LIVE WITH YOURSELF!

Suicide? fresia THAT.

Floating said:
Lonesome Crow said:
Thank you I like being your ass hole...

maybe that's why fucken people push your ass away...everybody miss understand your ass...
They got your fucken suicide date mixed up. It messed up their sechdule.

You don't get it you do ??? :p

ass!

fresia off and don't fucken apologize to me..lmao
fresia that honeysuckle...how this for indirect ?

The chioce is yours to make....
It's your chioce. The buck stops with you. Not your friends. Not me. Not anyone else.
You live or die by your chioces. We all do.
You have a chioce.

You need to be sensititve to the suicidal person's feelings. They are in extreme pain and do not need to be attacked. You mean well but you are in fact damaging the person. A suicidal person needs advice on how to handle the problems that they find are so painful that they can no longer feel anything in life except emotional pain. You would be more help if you would be gentle and encouraging. You can essentially say the same message you have, i.e., that it is their choice, without ridiculing.

padfoots said:
I thought that I had made 2 very good friends. For a time, we were even close. And then, they just pushed me away. Their reason? "It's always just been us. Please understand.":club:

I had already planned my suicide for months. This was just the leverage I needed to actually go through with it. On the day, I left some strange messages on plurk, such as: "making one last playlist". I was planning on listening to my favorite songs as a slowly died from oxygen deprivation. I won't mention what I was going to use and all that. Just that it had something to do with making sure my body could no longer receive oxygen. I don't want people here trying that, now, do I?

One of them suspected and was panicking. Both of them spoke to me. I didn't go through with the suicide.

I still talked about suicide. It made them angry. They said that me still thinking about it made everything they said seem like garbage. I tried to apologize. They wouldn't even look at me. I sent them an e-mail, all Chelzie did was leave a plurk that said, "You still don't understand."

I don't know what i'm supposed to understand. But I think I do. I think it's just that they can't accept me wanting to die. And because they can't accept or respect that, they don't want to be my friend, or they can't. Because possibly in the event that I do die, they wouldn't be able to take it.

I told my brother about it. He said, "Screw them. They're not your true friends.":club:

I find it so easy to 'click' with people. But then I just seem to be a passing thing, an interesting toy that you play with for maybe a week then forget about. Maybe I'm too clingy. Actually, I know I am. But I want a friend. Someone who's not just always there for talking. I want someone who's also there when you need them, and they go even if they don't want to.

Dear Gentle Soul Padfoots, I am glad you didn't succeed. If you look hard enough, there is always hope (see www.greatday.com). I hope you have found strategies to handle the problems that drove you to this horrible point of desparation. I totally get it. I have tried twice in my lifetime. I understand that it is simply a way of escaping emotional pain that is so bad it feels like living through torture every single day. Day and night I was crying. I could not sleep well. I looked forward to nothing. I felt hopeless. It was like having someone beat you everyday and not having a way to stop it.

Your "friends" reaction was completely self-interested. You are better off rejecting them. At such a low point in your life, at such a crisus state, they should have thought nothing about themselves but only of how to help you out of this way of thinking. True friends would put time and effort into counseling you. They would hug you, wipe away your tears, and encourage you with self-help books and positive affirmations.

In hindsight, all I needed was someone (an adult or a peer) to befriend me, to help me see different ways of handling my problems. I never got that. No one cared. I ended-up in intensive care and I survived. Again, I was back into my tortuous life, suffering and suffering. I planned another suicide attempt but never carried it off. Maybe because I found my husband to be. At least I had someone to love me. He didn't help me cope better though. His advice was good natured but simplistic, "Don't care what people think". I had to figure all the answers out by myself. Doctors merely processed me. Family didn't care. There were no friends. That was my biggest problem. I had it drilled into my head by my verbally abusive father that I was bad to the core. When I failed at making friends, I reasoned that it was because I was bad and was wrong. Never thought that it was situational. That some people would overlook my faults. That I was lacking social skills because my parents didn't have any. I have found a way to relieve the pain besides suicide. You can also. If you want to talk, please feel free to email me.
Sincerely with Care
Floating :rolleyes:

Floating, thank you for showing compassion and kindness instead of viewing the suicidal person as selfish/a bad person.

Not many people know how to really react to someone that thinks about suicide. Oftentimes because they cannot empathize themselves, so instead, they further marginalize a person that already feels so marginalized that they want to cut themselves out of the picture entirely.

I dont understand why people insist upon making a person who already feels low, feel even worse.

*hug* Thank you for understanding.

[youtube]EoG5cQVay2I&feature=related[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back