Super Pretendo

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I konw a good portion of gamers are lonely. And a good portion of Lonely ppl are gamers?

You think being a gamer perpetuates a lonely life?

I think they are lonely and looking for an escape from reality, where they are important and powerful in the world.(whatever mmo you happen to be playing)

I do. I think that it is addictive and can take a lot of your time and it is a solitary activity.

I had fun with people in MMOs, I found it actually enhanced my social life...but it can take up a lot of time.

Obviously, none of you have ever played any of the Silent Hill series! Much of the symbology in the games is geared towards either making one feel connected to the characters, like in novels or movies, and the fourth actually dedicates a lot of its context to the idea that getting out of the apartment to interact with people is a way in which one can be not lonely.

Guest said:
I konw a good portion of gamers are lonely. And a good portion of Lonely ppl are gamers?

You think being a gamer perpetuates a lonely life?

I think it does in a VERY small way.  And i also thinks it really depends on the person.  If im in the middle of a good game and my buddy calls me up and wants to hang out im probly gonna tell him to call back in like a couple hours or so.  ( if its single player of course )...unless he likes to watch...but yeah thats a different story.  I really dont think its a huge impact on being lonely though.  But that is just for me personally.  I play games sometimes because im lonely, im not still lonely because i play games.   just me two cents.

PS: i have played a couple of the Silent Hill games, And there Greattttt =)....Although i havent played the Room yet. After playing RE-4 i have been forever spoiled by the shooting gameplay. Going back to the oldskool Still camera shots from the corner of a room and trying to Aim your gun just wont ever seem fun. I hope that upcoming Survival Horror games kind of follow RE-4 with the over the shoulder shooting. Its really puts you in the game and adds an intense feel to the world. mmmmm gamesss.

It could be related. I usually play video games when I'm really bored.

But I have also played video games with friends.

I guess it all depends. If you play video games constantly to get out of reality and to hide your lonliness than yes. But if you are more like me, you'd just play them for fun.

mike3486 said:
PS: i have played a couple of the Silent Hill games,  And there Greattttt =)....Although i havent played the Room yet.  After playing RE-4 i have been forever spoiled by the shooting gameplay.  Going back to the oldskool Still camera shots from the corner of a room and trying to Aim your gun just wont ever seem fun.  I hope that upcoming Survival Horror games kind of follow RE-4 with the over the shoulder shooting.  Its really puts you in the game and adds an intense feel to the world.  mmmmm gamesss.

Wow, we're talking about games... I heard of one time where Senator Liebermann (Don't quote me on this as certain fact, I have to look into it and verify it) very clearly said video games isolate people from real world issues, so a group of gamers started a small charity to raise some money for a local food bank, or some social aid program and asked Liebermann to match their donation.
He didn't, as per what I heard (Again, not certain, but I've heard of him saying lots of silly things about gamers and games).
The point is, I think if used properly, like movies or books, games can actually be a social utility, as someone else said.
Case in point, a friend and I are working on a Silent Hill novel over the summer.

BUT, mike3486, Resident Evil was an over-the-shoulder because it was more focused on the action than the story. It'd be difficult to do that with a Silent Hill because most of the gameplay idea is that ordinary people are in an extraordinary situation, so it should be tough to control. Plus, 4 has great themes for lonely people... If you do get a chance to play it, make sure you pay close attention to the character outline of Henry Townsend in the manual.

i played runescape for two years and knight online for 6 monthes
thats 2 and half years of almost constantly being online at 1st it was just to break the boredom ,then i enjoyed playing it with my eldest daughter,being involved in her clans with her.it gave us something to do together.now she has started to outgrow them doesnt want to play them.
i also realized that alot of gamers were people who had something so wrong in thier lives that they had enough time to be online 15 hours a day everyday.
in game sure they may seem asif they were important but i often found they were not very social people ,tended to try backstabbing,steal accounts,items,lie about other players,boast of thier greatness,have a need to tear down anyone and sic the collective on anyone that jeapordized thier rise to power because it was only in these games that they were somebody important,or wanted that and would kiss ass of whoever it takes to get there and hurt anyone else it took to get there.
between my daughter and i we had over 300 contacts on msn talking to us for about a year i did talk alot to them but it became overwhelming for both my daughter and i and we slowly withdrew all together from that community.it was dysfunctional at its best built on anonymity thus empowering everyone to be untruthful destroying the basis of all relationships ,the ability to trust the person you are talking toso as to be able to share and really connect.
yes it can be very involving, when i was involved in that scene i knew 30 year olds on welfare who would rather play games than play real life and 20 year olds going to school on a 10 year plan of 1 class at a time so they can do 20 minutes of school work and 14 hours of pk (people killing) a day.retirees being one of the few groups of people i actually do approve of being on those games so much as most for health issues and age need a good mental distraction for staying home.
but i do believe i met many lonly,unhappy,dysfunctional people on those games.
many wanting to escape real life responsabilities,or desperate for companionship even pixelated
i am tired of it,i want normalacy in my life,hell i want my life back,and so i refuse to interact with gameing anymore
my daughter has also come to conclusion after haveing her heart broken badly by a gamer she put all her trust in,not once but twice .even i believed both guys were on the pretty cool end of the stick , but just below the surface the were very hurtful ,self involved people.

I used to play games a lot when I was less depressed, now I only play once in a while.. I have no energy. I spoke to other people in my town who like videogames and anime (my two interests, besides music), so... they are just normal people, with friends and a normal life. Just because they have the same interests as me doesn't mean they will accept me in their company... Most gamers are regular, socially adjusted people... And I am a stranger that nobody wants in their life.

lonely2beeme said:
i am tired of it,i want normalacy in my life,hell i want my life back,and so i refuse to interact with gameing anymore

Good for you. I am a strong advocate of getting out there and doing things, or even just hanging out at your own place with friends watching a mundane show rather than gaming. At least it's face to face interaction. Mind you, eventually you'll all get bored of hanging out at one place, despite how much they glamourize it on TV in shows like That 70's Show. You'll start to want to do something active, even throwing a football around (or frisbee).

Now, if you'll excuse me I have rock climbing to do with a friend today. ;)

In The Matrix said:
lonely2beeme said:

Good for you. I am a strong advocate of getting out there and doing things, or even just hanging out at your own place with friends watching a mundane show rather than gaming. At least it's face to face interaction. Mind you, eventually you'll all get bored of hanging out at one place, despite how much they glamourize it on TV in shows like That 70's Show. You'll start to want to do something active, even throwing a football around (or frisbee).

Now, if you'll excuse me I have rock climbing to do with a friend today. ;)

well thats whyi started coming to this forum ,made a myspace and signed up to a online dateing service lol.because once i cut out the online gameing i had absolutely no friends.i still havent been able to make one here in my area as i dont go out anywhere that i could meet anyone and the society structure here is very different as most friendships among females are forged in jr and senior high.with males the same but colledge and workplace play a larger part.my husband always made a new friend at work but among housewives they seem competative here ,the friendships from early on are the ones they keep ,it is very hard to form a friendship as a adult here.so i feel a bit stir crazy with just me and my kids everyday.
btw online dateing is full of psychos !
i had the worst weekend of it ,pulling my profile down as i speak lol.
have fun rock climbing,your lucky to have afriend and b in shape enough to do that. i wish i could,lol .....just imagining it has me in giggles straining to reach the 1st rock above my head lol.

In The Matrix said:
lonely2beeme said:

Good for you.  I am a strong advocate of getting out there and doing things, or even just hanging out at your own place with friends watching a mundane show rather than gaming.  At least it's face to face interaction.  Mind you, eventually you'll all get bored of hanging out at one place, despite how much they glamourize it on TV in shows like That 70's Show.  You'll start to want to do something active, even throwing a football around (or frisbee).

Now, if you'll excuse me I have rock climbing to do with a friend today.  ;)

Hey, I can understand the hatred for online gaming, seriously; my roommate only interacts with people through his xbox 360, so I can see how it can be a terrible social crutch.

However, would you tell people not to read books? Watch movies? Go to plays? Art museums?
Games can be a positive influence, if they're used properly, as like an aesthetic sort of contemplation, or even as a social thing, where one has subjects to talk about with other gamers, OUTSIDE of the gaming world. Condemning it entirely's like condemning football; both are individual enterprises done for entertainment value and nothing else. Condemning rock climbing would be another analogy, better, because it's more of a solitary accomplishment than football.

So yeah, World of Warcraft is a VERY bad thing, but so's every single Ayn Rand book, and people worship those rags.

nope i dont condemn i just out of personal experience of almost 3 years of it wont have anything to do with it myself anymore .to each thier own we can all choose our own poison.
no matter what that poison may be it isnt the poison that nessarily kills us but the excess of it.
same with alcohol it isnt a problem unless its over done till you cant function without it.
drugs not nessarily bad as most people like to try and brainwash the public not all are the excess of illegal ones where dosage is uncontrolled are .same with gameing when it becaomes your full time job,when you cant go on a real date but have a online girlfriend for 2 years when you even dump your online girlfriend because interacting with her slows you down on a playerkill. thats when they have problems .when the game is the single most important thing in thier life .
playing a game everyday being really into it even if it was 2or 3 hours but you still had a job or school or friends or anything i would say wow thats a gamer .what we are referring and some of the people i knew wont talk to anyone but the people on thier team or clan sun up til sun down.
i have been there myself when i was bedridden for awhile following the birth of my daughter.i missed alot. i dont wanna miss anymore cause its time i cant get back with my child and i know they mean more to me than anything in this world.

Latest posts

Back