Telephonophobia...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

woolensilence

Blah. Telephones are probably the scariest thing to me right now. It's ridiculous. If I even type in the number I'll sit there looking at the screen waiting to push call, but too nervous and shaky to even do it. It's not even somebody I know or will meet anytime soon. They're just a random nun at a random Catholic church where I'm supposed to be doing fieldwork.

Ungh.
What the hell.

Can anyone sympathize? I feel totally pointless and lame right now.

woolensilence said:
Blah. Telephones are probably the scariest thing to me right now. It's ridiculous. If I even type in the number I'll sit there looking at the screen waiting to push call, but too nervous and shaky to even do it. It's not even somebody I know or will meet anytime soon. They're just a random nun at a random Catholic church where I'm supposed to be doing fieldwork.

Ungh.
What the hell.

I am not quite as bad as you but I am pretty bad about phones too I really hate to have to ever call anyone I don't even order pizza on phone I try to use email any time I can. I am also pretty bad about getting phone calls at work I always make someone else answer phone and only talk if I am needed. So no you are not that wierd atleast to me.

woolensilence said:

Ungh.
What the hell.

Yes I can deffs sympathize with you. I really don't like to talk on the phone, even with my friend. There really is only one person who I don't mind talking to on the phone, with everyone else I just feel awkward. It's so unnatural, and when neither person has anything to say it is just silence and then I feel like there isn't any point to being on the phone but I'm so afraid to offend someone that I don't want to just hang up... I really hate it.

used 2 not do phones 2 well. until i took that customer service job haha. that cured me
but i rel8. i remember how hard it was 2b like that

I hate talking on the phone too....I try to find another way to talk to someone as much as possible....I always end up saying something stupid or stutter, or act nervous on the phone.....I actually hate making calls more than receiving them because I never really know what to do say when they answer the phone....it's weird.

Being a quiet guy most of my life, I don't have the greatest charisma. It's easy to say something in your head clearly, but I usually trip when I try to say it out loud. Basically, I had a hard time saying what I want to say. I never liked talking on the phone because I had nothing to say. A lot of awkward silences which is much better served in an instant message...

I rarely answer the phone now because it's never for me, I may mistake the person and hang up, or I just get trapped in a survey or talkative relative...

Yeah I hate to answer the phone because I don't want to get stuck in a conversation but I'm so scared to offend someone important that I never just let the machine get it. Gah! I hate that about myself!

I'm more comfortable with phones. It's the face to face that gets me because I feel self conscious and then I know people can see I'm self conscious and then I become more self conscious and wind up making an ass out of myself or saying something silly.

I hate to answer the phone when I'm at home. Especially when it's a friend of my parents or a relative that I don't really have any contact with. It always leads to an extremely awkward conversation, like it's not awkward enough to talk with people on the phone. Sometimes I just let the phone ring. I rarely use my cellphone and people always complaing that I never have it turned on, which is true since I never remember to recharge the batteries ^^

I get annoyed when people call me or when I have to call someone, actually talking on the phone takes practise, before I was so shelterd now I can talk to pretty much anyone, even the police! and rowdy guys, but there's always that annoyance.

Jeremi said:
I hate to answer the phone when I'm at home. Especially when it's a friend of my parents or a relative that I don't really have any contact with. It always leads to an extremely awkward conversation, like it's not awkward enough to talk with people on the phone. Sometimes I just let the phone ring. I rarely use my cellphone and people always complaing that I never have it turned on, which is true since I never remember to recharge the batteries ^^

Get answering machine or voicemail. Is Sweden big on caller ID?

I also hate talking on the phone, I always get really nervous right before I call anyone, because I won't know what to say or how to end the conversation correctly and it will end up going something like this,

" Uh, I gotta go...Uh, c u round(person in Kentucky i'm in MD,haha)...Bye"

NeverMore said:
I also hate talking on the phone, I always get really nervous right before I call anyone, because I won't know what to say or how to end the conversation correctly and it will end up going something like this,

" Uh, I gotta go...Uh, c u round(person in Kentucky i'm in MD,haha)...Bye"

LMAO. The one thing I can say about phone convos are that once I feel the convo needs to end I am quite abrupt. I have to work on this.

Person: "So I bought this new bag..."
Self: "Well alright, I'll talk to you soon. Goodnight."

hmm I don't like incoming calls...
Phones make loud noise and I feel like crushing them
Text messages I don't mind.

When I was younger if the phone rang I would run outside so that I couldn't hear it and wouldn't have to answer it... that or I'd pull the phone cord out of the wall.

I've worked on phones helping people diagnose and fix their computers, internet, and accessories, so I don't mind phones as much now.

I hate my cellphone though... I just had the plan cost cut in half, and it's still a ridiculous price... the plan before was the same as the monthly cost for a new car and I didn't even make use of half the features... plus I have had some problems with text message services that I had never signed up for but still receive at cost, and downloading too many games and songs to my phone. I finally got rid of the internet on my phone... that should help some.

I hate "dead air" on phone calls... where nobody says anything... so awkward. I always end up humming or whistling without realizing at first. That or I do the "weeeeelll... ahhh... yeah... so, I guess I should go.... we'll talk to ya later tho!" *click*

I have a telephone interview on Monday with selfridges. Never had one before.

woolensilence said:

Ungh.
What the hell.

If I were afraid of phones..I think one half of my social life would be gone.

^^lol. I rarely talk to anyone on the phone. When I do it's just to say "yeah see you at teh park in 5 minutes. Bring your guitar... I got mine... bye". Honestly that is 99% of my phone calls. But weird... a few minutes ago my best friend's little sister called me. I was like, wtf but it turns out she just didn't know where he was and he wasn't answering his phone. But I was pretty confused.

Qui said:
^^lol. I rarely talk to anyone on the phone. When I do it's just to say "yeah see you at teh park in 5 minutes. Bring your guitar... I got mine... bye". Honestly that is 99% of my phone calls. But weird... a few minutes ago my best friend's little sister called me. I was like, wtf but it turns out she just didn't know where he was and he wasn't answering his phone. But I was pretty confused.

Talk about confusion! Did you ever have a conversation with someone over the phone that you thought you knew? But it turned out to be a complete stranger that dialed the wrong number? Now that was weird..and a little embarrassing. Cause you get to the point where you've got to get rid of them once you realize whats happened..and what do you say? I'll talk to you later? So I just hung up.

Arianna said:
Qui said:

Talk about confusion! Did you ever have a conversation with someone over the phone that you thought you knew? But it turned out to be a complete stranger that dialed the wrong number? Now that was weird..and a little embarrassing. Cause you get to the point where you've got to get rid of them once you realize whats happened..and what do you say? I'll talk to you later? So I just hung up.

Oh boyyy... I've gotten loads of embarrassing calls from this guy thinking I was his girlfriend... pretty much raped my mind. Bleah. But the shitty thing was he called me a dozen times and just started talking... It took him forever to realize I wasn't her. And by then I pretty much was so embarrassed I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. I don't ever want to hear those things from a guy, and I really don't even want to know what kind or a girl he was dating that she liked being talked to like that. meh. Like I said, raped my mind before I could even hang up. And he just couldn't get it that he had the wrong number! It really took him 3 weeks to figure it out.

By the way Qui..I know this is totally off track from this telephone topic. But I just had to tell you that I love your word:

bleah

I just read the Shout Box where you said bleah. It makes me laugh a little everytime you say it. Bleah..bleah..BLEAH! I LOVE IT!! I think I am going to adopt the word too!

"bleah".. what a great word! It encompasses so much in just one(?) or two(?) syllables. Qui...you're gifted..really you are!

Latest posts

Back