Telephonophobia...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh said:
I am not quite as bad as you but I am pretty bad about phones too I really hate to have to ever call anyone I don't even order pizza on phone I try to use email any time I can. I am also pretty bad about getting phone calls at work I always make someone else answer phone and only talk if I am needed. So no you are not that wierd atleast to me.

I'm the same way. I'm thinking about ordering pizza right now but I don't want to call.

oh lol. I leave the most hilarious messages. Funny to the point where a few of my friends wouldn't answer the phone when I called until I'd left one of my rambling and fairly silly messages and then right when I'm like, oh yeah, and I had a real reason to call you but I forgot... and then they answer the phone. I have whole one-sided conversations with the machine until the time runs out sometimes. Like if I have a lot I want to talk about with that person, I'll discuss it with the machine. I've had people play back my phone messages to me sometimes and I even make myself laugh. And I totally don't do it on purpose either. I think I would die if I tried to leave a concise phone message. The best I can do is to say what I need to say and then rephrase it or repeat it twice. It's kind of a pain sometimes.

I don't really care for phones myself. That along with the fact that usually, when not typing, I tend to have super short conversations with people. Something like. Hi, and Bye...

If people don't ask me questions or something then that is usally the end of the conversation.

Yea am not a big phone person myself. If I call anyone its usually just a hallo, your in. ok all be there in a min.

and btw Skorian welcome hear :) also I did catch your other two posts from the other sight ;) Glad you made an account hear :)

yay I thought I was one of the only ones who found phone calls not that great LOL I didn't realize it was an actual phobia though

I just get real nervous when I know that I have to call some and always put it off for as long as I can, it could even be my one good mate who I'm ringing by as the phone is ringing I'm like real nervous and I think I should just hang up

Its very strange ain't it? How you can talk so much on a forum but notbe able to say that much in person

bluey said:
Yea am not a big phone person myself. If I call anyone its usually just a hallo, your in. ok all be there in a min.

and btw Skorian welcome hear :) also I did catch your other two posts from the other sight ;) Glad you made an account hear :)

Other site?

I actually have a very good history with phones, in spite of the fact that I've had lots of bad memories with them. But during the time when I only had online friends, when they began calling me, they really began to take on reality. One in particular, I ended up calling with all my problems and doubts, and tended to essentially report in to her on how I was doing socially. She gave me the courage to go ahead and try to be something different, and I could whine to her anytime I needed it.

I'm grateful. And it was all possible because of the telephone :)

I am so frightened of phones. My family thinks I'm crazy. I almost always refuse to pick up unless I'm in a really good mood. I had no way to get to school one day, so I figured I'd call one of my classmates that lived nearby for a ride. I couldn't hit send, and I ended up not going to class that day. It's pretty lame. The thought of awkward silences, wrong numbers, and the lack of body language is simply way too much for me to handle. Oddly enough, instant messages don't bother me at all.

I was soo frightened of the phone or any kind of social interaction a few years ago, but as i started my job answering the phone was part of it... it took me a good month or so before i could properly take a call.. but even now i dont like gabbing on the phone, try and keep it short n sweet. Also I too cannot abide talking to an answer-machine and refuse to leave messages even when im at work.

I hate the telephone. I never answer. For one, nobody ever calls me, so what's the point. If I want to contact someone I'll use email.
I also hate leaving messages. >.<
I'm afraid I'll say something really dumb from being nervous.

BrokenDreams said:
I hate the telephone. I never answer. For one, nobody ever calls me, so what's the point. If I want to contact someone I'll use email.
I also hate leaving messages. >.<
I'm afraid I'll say something really dumb from being nervous.

Hahaha oh god messages are the worst for me! I always end up getting nervous and start talking to much then I start going on about something completly unrelated and then I get tounge tied and make a complete fool out of myself LOL

Me too have this same problem before. Its not that I don't know the language, its because I don't know how to overcome this phobia that only develope since I migrate here in US. In my country I am always on the phone. Spending 2-3 hours talking non-sense. I know its crazy, but that was my elementary and highschool years. Anyways, yeah I hate answering the phone here in US coz I was thinking I might choke in words that I can't express exactly what I mean, and I was also afraid that the person on the other line won't understand what I'm talking about. But that was before though now I'm done with it.

the problem that I really facing in regard to phone is: "I really hate calling people, I preffer text message-ing them." I just don't want calling them in there busy sched. That is why before I call them I send a text message asking them if they are busy or not. But there are people I really know likes me to call them even though they are busy. They just like me bugging them and I don't know why. :)

And now since I have free night and weekeends. At night time, me and a friend of mine are always on the phone utill we fall asleep leaving the phone-line on 3-4 hours. Sometimes when I wake up I could hear his snore on the other line. :) *winkz*;)

Yep, I hate answering phones, especially if they're not mine... for example, in our music office, I won't know who's calling and I'll have to answer politely.... argh... I just let it ring :)

sometimes my mouth goes dry, and I have a hard time swallowing when I have to call someone unfamiliar.... it's weird. sometimes it's bad and I slur my words at first. Maybe performance anxiety? It's pathetic.

When I was young I thought I was the only one that had this kind of phobia! So I thought I was weird and it made me feel bad, until I found out later that I wasn't the only one uncomfortable with phone calls.. but my family makes fun of me not making phone calls a lot. People get mad at me for not picking up sometimes too. I guess because I'm so used to no one really calling me so I forget about my phone sometimes. I get nervous calling people I know or familiar with, than strangers(like business). Once I walked around my house for a whole hour deciding if I should call a friend of mine or not, and what should I talk about lol.. it was sooo bad, I was nervous and sweating. I think this phobia developed because I used to avoid phonecalls from certain people, and my friends used to say I was boring on the phone and other bad experiences like those big long silences(I'm always thinking that I'm boring the other person). I used to have a job at picking up the phone.. it was horrible! I think that made it worse. I still don't like the phone very much(anxiety about what to say,etc).. but I think by exposing myself to it more and slowly, the fear is lessening. I played an online game with a guy, and he tried to open me up and talked to me on a voice chat program(ventrilo)... so because of that I'm able to talk to him easily on the phone too after awhile. I'm kind of practicing with him lol, he knows I have a phone phobia :rolleyes: A few days ago, I had my first phone convo that lasted for 4-5 hours wow. They usually only ever lasted 5min.

Already since I have been doing better I made one phone call to try to find out why internet service was down. I was fairly pushy, but thought I was pretty nice. The person who answered didn't know anything at all :( . Just that it was down.

I very comfortable talking on the phone. If I talk to a girl on the phone she will be able to tolerate me but if I see her in real life she'll walk away in no time.

hmm that's wierd. I'm kind of the opposite. I'd be more comfortable face to face with the other person and talking, then on the phone. On the phone I can't see them, whereas face to face I can see their reactions/body language. Like if they are smiling, sad, uncomfortable, etc.

Yes! I hate talking on the phone. >_<"

When it rings, my mother or father will say to me, "Quick! Get it!"
I never do. Instead, I'll grab the phone, press the button and run it to them.

When people ask for my phone number, I'll give them my email address. But, if they somehow manage to get it off me and tell me that they'll call me later, I'll leave it off on purpose. :(

Latest posts

Back