The "Spending 14th of february alone" Club!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh. so. depressing.
ugh....i thought about it the other day and quickly tried to think of something else.

Yep. I will be this year. I think I was last year, too. Totally not phased. It's the holidays that get tough for me.

Yeah you're right Mary, people don't make much of a fuss about this , holidays however are a totally different story.

You guys are lucky I didn't find this forum only after the holidays , probably would have wrote a novel length thread about how much I hate them. It's funny though because holidays are the only time of the year I actually want to be alone but I NEVER can.

Being alone for the holidays is bitter sweet because the alternative is worse (at least for me).

Oh God, I hadn't even thought about V-Day till I saw this thread. Sign me up...bring tissues....

You think I'd miss an opportunity to talk about myself? :p

No, seriously. I'm estranged from my family. It started during my divorce. I'd knew my parents would have a serious reaction to it, so I was going to tell them when I was ready; however, my arrogant ex-husband wrote them a letter and told them. They freaked out and called me up. It was just like my parents. It's my crisis, and I have to emotionally support them.

I was really stressed out not only from the divorce but also from other things; and I realized for my own sanity that I needed to temporarily dispense of the things that caused me unnecessary stress. My parents were one of the things that went. It was going to be temporary; but as Lonesome Crow and I were saying, there's no magic bullet. My recovery from OCD and depression was the result of many things; however, distancing myself from my parents was a huge part of it. I didn't realize how much they had been contributing to it until I did this.

The reason why there were such a big part and if not a cause of my OCD and depression is because they're both hysterics; and they terrorized me for decades. So, holidays weren't about relaxation and fun and cheer, but about terror.

dramaqueen said:
i dont care about that day (d)

What do the letters in parenthesis mean?

thD.png
= (d)

I'm sorry for reminding those of you that forgot , guess I deserve a poke :club: . There will plenty of tissues though , and cake!

And Mary , my mother pretty much mops the floor with me every Christmas so I have to make plans...actually wait , she makes my plans. These "plans" include making me drive out to her house somewhere in the mountains at 10 in the evening and stuff like this. That was until last year of course when I stood up to her :cool: hopefully there will be no more of that this year!

brickinthewall said:
I'm sorry for reminding those of you that forgot , guess I deserve a poke :club: . There will plenty of tissues though , and cake!

And Mary , my mother pretty much mops the floor with me every Christmas so I have to make plans...actually wait , she makes my plans. These "plans" include making me drive out to her house somewhere in the mountains at 10 in the evening and stuff like this. That was until last year of course when I stood up to her :cool: hopefully there will be no more of that this year!

Wow. It's like she saw you as an extension of herself and not as a person.

I do hope that it's better for you this year.

brickinthewall said:

Wow. It's like she saw you as an extension of herself and not as a person.

I do hope that it's better for you this year.

dramaqueen said:

Oh.

What about (un)

It most likely will. I took my fathers advice and stood up to her now while I still can.

He never stood up to his mother and she was also a control freak. Now she is 90 years old and while she is mentally stable (as much as a 90 year old can be) she is driving him crazy and there is no chance of ever getting through to her any more.

I think this thread is derailing though ?

brickinthewall said:
It most likely will. I took my fathers advice and stood up to her now while I still can.

He never stood up to his mother and she was also a control freak. Now she is 90 years old and while she is mentally stable (as much as a 90 year old can be) she is driving him crazy and there is no chance of ever getting through to her any more.

I think this thread is derailing though ?

:D It's all good!

Yeah, standing up to parents is so critical. I think it's a pivotal point in a person's life, so good for you! Your dad gave good advice.

I'm going to have to face my parents someday...

@Mary, (un) =
un.png

On topic,
I'm not going to be alone.
I'll be spending valentines with you all :).

Honestly, after some of the psychotic things a few of my ex girlfriends have done in the name of valentines day. I just breathe a sigh of relief when the day hits over not having to do honeysuckle for anyone. :S

Thank you for starting this club :)
I'm crazy about Christmas and the holidays but I f*cking hate Valentine's Day. It's been miserable whether I've been single or attached. My ex-husband gave me a present on our first V-Day, then said "Don't expect this every year". *******.
I'll spend the day this year at work, silently thinking snarky thoughts about co-workers who get their husbands to deliver them flowers at work, then will spend the evening with my violin teacher (in a lesson!), then will breathe a sigh of relief when the day is over.

Teresa

Latest posts

Back