the subject is missing. please enter a subject.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it isn't burzum so that is good.

It is when you offer cookies :)

Oh wow, now that is cookies :)

Every person who goes missing from our lives leaves a broad gap. As a boy going to elementary school, there was a girl in my class, Elizabeth. She was very tall, unfortunate looking, very thin - gangly really - and she was poor. Her family was poor. They lived in an old house on a corner, the paint falling off, no car, no phone, and her father - an immigrant from Poland - was a violent alcoholic. She had so many strikes against her, it was like God was having a bad day when she was conceived.

Kids at school picked on her relentlessly. Non-stop. I hated it, but never did anything about it. At the end of the year, a few days before Christmas, their house burned down. They lost everything. I rode in my parent's brand new company car past the charred ruin and was more fascinated with the mess than with the implications of it. It was not a ruined house, it was a pile of ruined lives. People now displaced, with nowhere to go outside of charity.

The following January I went away to a boarding school up in the mountains. Views over the city from a hundred miles away, tall thin pine trees everywhere... A lovely place. While I was there Elizabeth took her own life. A friend told me about it during a free weekend. She killed herself.

It is fast forward 45 years, and a girl I hardly knew or thought about at all has left a gap that I still feel. Every life matters. Every person means something to many, never just a few. And every one of us can think of people who have left gaps in our lives... An aunt or uncle, mother, father, maybe a brother or sister, but we all have "Elizabeths" in our lives. They are those people we never thought much about, that is until they are gone...

Alaric, that is a well put story.

I knew BJD would spot the cookies as soon as they came out. :)

I didn't realize that cookies was short for magic cookies. %)

I thought it was the typical browser cookie
ru9y_5ea_u8yfi.gif

Latest posts

Back