The surprising dark side of empathy ...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others by imagining oneself in their place.

But researcher have found that if you are too in tune with other people's emotions too much of the time, it can lead to exhaustion, apathy, and even aggression and cruelty.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0bwksjj/the-surprising-dark-side-of-empathy

(y):poop::poop::poop:
I often empathize with others way more then I should. Then because I naturally do that I expect others to do the same. But, most do not. They only care about themselves and how they feel. So, it pisses me off when the don't take my feelings and needs into account. Then I tell myself to stop caring about what other people are going through. But, I can't help it. It comes naturally to me.

That does fit with me somewhat. It's why I need a break from people on occasion. It can get draining.

when I look at back at the interactions I've had in real life, I am mostly in a listening role allowing others to vent. It can be one sided at times. Now I feel as if I am in the stage of apathy, being depressed probably caused it but I also think it's because I feel as if I don't have a voice and I am not being heard. Online, at least I get to share a bit of what I think and feel.

Latest posts

Back