The truth about the music industry.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at_op_house.jpg

Wait, this is a secret thing now?
Man, music is supposed to be such a simple thing and people fresia it over and all around the place.

Cathedral said:
I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart, as I personally have no trouble finding what kind of music I want thanks to the extensive underground scenes. Here you go. I hope you find some enlightenment from this.

http://www.bombhiphop.com/newbomb/bombpages/linernotes.html

Thanks? Who's claiming to be unenlightened? The only part of that website that I'd take seriously, and with a grain of salt, is the quote by Hunter S. Thompson.

There are approximately 27,000 music titles released every year. Of the 7,000 "new" titles released every year by major labels less than 10% are profitable. Major record labels sign only what they hope will sell, jumping on the latest trend and flooding the market with sound-alikes. Everything radio and video shows play sound and look like they came off an assembly line.

First off, where did those statistics come from? I tried a search on Google for those specific statistics and couldn't find anything reputable. Could it be, they just made them right the fresia up? Secondly, they're saying the first rule of business is supply and demand? Make a product that the majority of people will like so that their business can make a profit? Sounds legit to me...what's wrong with tailoring your industry to what the majority likes? Do you think a restaurant chain will be successful if they just served fried pig ass? Hmm...maybe in America.

Major record companies focus on radio-friendly and videogenic acts and unfortunately exclude new and experimental artists and genres of music. Consumers have become lazy and in turn are easily brainwashed by what they hear on the radio, see on tv and read in magazines. People need to be more educated and take a pro-active approach to music. Seek out new artists and new types of music, don't let big business influence and control what you think is good music or what you purchase.

Wow, how insightful. It's great to hear I've been brainwashed this whole time and some how you and this random guy haven't. You guys must have big brains that are too smart to be swayed by the machinations of "big corporations". I would LOVE to see any study or evidence you can provide that people are being brainwashed into buying something. Can't? Have fun with your conspiracies.

This content you provided is not informative by any means, and is in no way a proper resource for logical and realistic thinking. Further, your ego is disillusioned into thinking that just because you like something other people don't that you are somehow better than them. Link me a study that says what music you listen to defines intelligence. There was a study where parents would play Mozart to their babies in utero. Guess what the results were? Not one fetus was any smarter or spatial because of it.

I think what you need to do is come down off your pedestal, have a beer, and lighten up. No one's forcing you to listen to anything. There will continue to be sources where you can find the music you want depending on how hard you want to look. It's not fair or logical to demean and castigate those that have different tastes.

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

the definitive rant on this topic

it's all getting very old now though, indie artists have resources like bandcamp at their disposal and it's never been a better time for musicians to promote their music online

Stride said:
Cathedral said:
I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart, as I personally have no trouble finding what kind of music I want thanks to the extensive underground scenes. Here you go. I hope you find some enlightenment from this.

http://www.bombhiphop.com/newbomb/bombpages/linernotes.html

Thanks? Who's claiming to be unenlightened? The only part of that website that I'd take seriously, and with a grain of salt, is the quote by Hunter S. Thompson.

There are approximately 27,000 music titles released every year. Of the 7,000 "new" titles released every year by major labels less than 10% are profitable. Major record labels sign only what they hope will sell, jumping on the latest trend and flooding the market with sound-alikes. Everything radio and video shows play sound and look like they came off an assembly line.

First off, where did those statistics come from? I tried a search on Google for those specific statistics and couldn't find anything reputable. Could it be, they just made them right the fresia up? Secondly, they're saying the first rule of business is supply and demand? Make a product that the majority of people will like so that their business can make a profit? Sounds legit to me...what's wrong with tailoring your industry to what the majority likes? Do you think a restaurant chain will be successful if they just served fried pig ass? Hmm...maybe in America.

Well, those statistics confound me as well. Surely, there are a lot more albums being released yearly than 17,000, unless that statistic was not taking smaller labels and independent artists into account.

But you're comparing music to food, which is extremely ill-sighted considering the natures of both. Food is a commodity which means that it's a consistent cycle: Make, sell, repeat. Music is an art, not a commodity. Once a music album is made, you can only expect, at most, for one copy to be sold to one person one time only. You can't just keep on churning it out and selling it unless you have new people buying your product. Even the artists who have effectively attained the "blank check" status, like the Beatles, AC/DC, etc., face this. As long as they get new customers, there's money to be made. As for food, it's a lot more sustainable if the food corporations do not get a lot of new customers, as long as they are still selling to a lot of people again and again. If a record company does not get any new customers for their existing records, it's time to do another one. Or it will go out of business.

I'm not an economics expert by any means, but you probably should learn something about how it works instead of just listening to the mainstream news media.

Also, most parts of the pig is quite popular all over the world. Yes, a lot of people eat fried pig ass, except it's called the "leg" or "ham". Quite ignorant of you. Again, comparing a restaurant to the music industry is invalid.

Major record companies focus on radio-friendly and videogenic acts and unfortunately exclude new and experimental artists and genres of music. Consumers have become lazy and in turn are easily brainwashed by what they hear on the radio, see on tv and read in magazines. People need to be more educated and take a pro-active approach to music. Seek out new artists and new types of music, don't let big business influence and control what you think is good music or what you purchase.

Wow, how insightful. It's great to hear I've been brainwashed this whole time and some how you and this random guy haven't. You guys must have big brains that are too smart to be swayed by the machinations of "big corporations". I would LOVE to see any study or evidence you can provide that people are being brainwashed into buying something. Can't? Have fun with your conspiracies.

Yes, the corporations are trying to brainwash people, it's because they refuse to play fairly, they want more and more money. They do anything possible to quell even a hint of competition and dominate dominate dominate. This relies exclusively on the human traits of ignorance and the herd mentality, and by God, they are successful.

Honestly, I only place 75% of the blame on the corporates, the other 25% goes to the consumers who keep on consuming whatever the corporations whore out.

This content you provided is not informative by any means, and is in no way a proper resource for logical and realistic thinking. Further, your ego is disillusioned into thinking that just because you like something other people don't that you are somehow better than them. Link me a study that says what music you listen to defines intelligence. There was a study where parents would play Mozart to their babies in utero. Guess what the results were? Not one fetus was any smarter or spatial because of it.

What a load of horse manure. You linked to me a completely irrelevant study about pregnant women listening to classical music to see if it would make their unborn children any smarter and think that's a proper argument as to why the article I linked to was not insightful or logical. You have gone a long way to eliminating any notion of credibility of your argument with that one.

I think what you need to do is come down off your pedestal, have a beer, and lighten up. No one's forcing you to listen to anything. There will continue to be sources where you can find the music you want depending on how hard you want to look. It's not fair or logical to demean and castigate those that have different tastes.

I'm beginning to think that the notion of "we're not being forced to listen to anything" is nothing but an overused cop-out. Of course we're not forced to listen to Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake. But the corporate fat cats are trying their hardest to convince us that whatever "hot" and "trendy" artists they are pushing are the best and the most popular in the world. And people, by the masses, start believing it. How else did Rebecca Black get so popular on YouTube? By the qualities of her "music", whatever they may be? Only partially. Just like how the music was "manufactured", the initial popularity is mostly "fabricated", to lure people in, and the big trend starts big.

And let me get this clear: I do not expect everyone else to listen to metal, much less like it. I expected more diversity in musical tastes. That's all. But it's just not there. It's always the same Goddamned bands they listen to! Over and over again! Until more people embrace actual musical diversity, until more people realize that there's more to music than what the corporate fat cats are pushing, then society is in trouble. It's a sign of the times.

Call me ignorant, as I have called you ignorant, but the difference is: I know something, and I don't like it.

My responses in bold.

Cathedral said:
Well, those statistics confound me as well. Surely, there are a lot more albums being released yearly than 17,000, unless that statistic was not taking smaller labels and independent artists into account.

You admit the statistics are bullshit or at least skewed the data to validate their opinion and take the website seriously? Huh...

Cathedral said:
Music is an art, not a commodity. Once a music album is made, you can only expect, at most, for one copy to be sold to one person one time only.

Food is considered an art by many respected institutions. Just like there are schools for music, there are schools for the culinary arts.

Cathedral said:
You can't just keep on churning it out and selling it unless you have new people buying your product. Even the artists who have effectively attained the "blank check" status, like the Beatles, AC/DC, etc., face this. As long as they get new customers, there's money to be made. As for food, it's a lot more sustainable if the food corporations do not get a lot of new customers, as long as they are still selling to a lot of people again and again. If a record company does not get any new customers for their existing records, it's time to do another one. Or it will go out of business.

Let's stay away from the food analogy since you must not know what analogy means. The record industry puts out products for their customers so that they can make a profit like any other industry. They follow the trends of the people, they do not create the trends. If you believe they do, please advise how they are manipulating people into anything. I'm asking for actual evidence, not your opinion please.

Cathedral said:
Yes, the corporations are trying to brainwash people, it's because they refuse to play fairly, they want more and more money. They do anything possible to quell even a hint of competition and dominate dominate dominate. This relies exclusively on the human traits of ignorance and the herd mentality, and by God, they are successful.

Honestly, I only place 75% of the blame on the corporates, the other 25% goes to the consumers who keep on consuming whatever the corporations whore out.

Totally false. You can't back that claim up with anything. Stop making blanket statements and provide some evidence. Your entire argument is invalid without it.

Cathedral said:
What a load of horse manure. You linked to me a completely irrelevant study about pregnant women listening to classical music to see if it would make their unborn children any smarter and think that's a proper argument as to why the article I linked to was not insightful or logical. You have gone a long way to eliminating any notion of credibility of your argument with that one.

Your argument is that people are ignorant because of the music they listen to. I linked you a study that shows that scientists are trying to prove that music has a bearing on the intellectuality of a person as an analogous example for what a real, informative website is. The only relevance to your website is that it had to do with music, sorry you missed it.

Cathedral said:
I'm beginning to think that the notion of "we're not being forced to listen to anything" is nothing but an overused cop-out. Of course we're not forced to listen to Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake.

It's not a cop-out, it's a fact. If people didn't like the music, they wouldn't listen to it. It's clear and simple.

Cathedral said:
And let me get this clear: I do not expect everyone else to listen to metal, much less like it. I expected more diversity in musical tastes. That's all. But it's just not there. It's always the same Goddamned bands they listen to! Over and over again! Until more people embrace actual musical diversity, until more people realize that there's more to music than what the corporate fat cats are pushing, then society is in trouble. It's a sign of the times.

Who are you talking about? Are you just making up honeysuckle up as you go along? Have you taken any polls or have any evidence of anything you're saying? I personally know someone that likes Lady Gaga and death metal...do you have any real life reference, statistics, evidence, to your bullshit claim?

Cathedral said:
Call me ignorant, as I have called you ignorant, but the difference is: I know something, and I don't like it.

You don't know anything. You continue to spout subjective opinion with no evidence or any logic behind it other than some black and mysterious website that you yourself said contains flawed information. When you do actually know something, please respond.

I, like edgecrusher, like music as well.
I listen to everything (except bluegrass, but to each their own)
However, as far as the argument goes (and I admit I didn't read the link, so this may be TOTALLY off topic) the main reason the mainstream stuff gets more recognition is that there is more advertising for it. There's more money for the top dog artists and record labels that gets overplayed to hell and back, gets old really fast, goes away and comes back popular again later.
I personally know a lot of local bands that are good, but they don't have videos posted online and IF they have albums recorded, it's for their personal benefit and they don't sell them. My best friend's baby daddy has some kickass songs, but aside from hearing them play live, there's really no way of getting word out about them. So what's on the radio and what sells in the stores is what is advertised.

Stride said:
Cathedral said:

You admit the statistics are bullshit or at least skewed the data to validate their opinion and take the website seriously? Huh...

I didn't say that those statistics were bullshit. Looks like I made a type or something when I said 17k. It should have been 27k. I just said I wasn't so sure I could completely stand behind that particular part of the statistic. Just leave it.

But that ten percent sounds very plausible to me. It's evidence that these record company executives try way too hard to pander to the lowest common denominator with every single album they put out instead of trying to have a variety of music. And try even harder to profit off of them.

Cathedral said:
Music is an art, not a commodity. Once a music album is made, you can only expect, at most, for one copy to be sold to one person one time only.

Food is considered an art by many respected institutions. Just like there are schools for music, there are schools for the culinary arts.

Okay, sure. But what about music as a commodity?

Cathedral said:
You can't just keep on churning it out and selling it unless you have new people buying your product. Even the artists who have effectively attained the "blank check" status, like the Beatles, AC/DC, etc., face this. As long as they get new customers, there's money to be made. As for food, it's a lot more sustainable if the food corporations do not get a lot of new customers, as long as they are still selling to a lot of people again and again. If a record company does not get any new customers for their existing records, it's time to do another one. Or it will go out of business.

Let's stay away from the food analogy since you must not know what analogy means. The record industry puts out products for their customers so that they can make a profit like any other industry. They follow the trends of the people, they do not create the trends. If you believe they do, please advise how they are manipulating people into anything. I'm asking for actual evidence, not your opinion please.

Of course I know that a business has to profit in order to survive. I understand that. This is about sheer greed, folks. These big record corps are trying to stay big and grow while stubbornly refusing to adapt in the proper way to the ever-changing world, especially with the rise of the Internet. Look up the RIAA and what they are trying to do (control distribution by hook and crook).

I've explained how the corporates' method of mass manipulation worked. Do I need to explain it to you again? They take something, manufacture it, and promote it like it's the "hottest new thing". People, by the masses, buy into it. Only those with as much influence and as money as the corporal elites of the world can be successful with this. But you can't do this with just anything, it's gotta appeal to the lowest common denominator, it's got to have that allure and charisma of a typical celebrity, it's got to have this and that (which is usually superficial bullshit). Even if the product is successful, it won't last long, as you can see with teeny-bop icons seeming to just "fade" away from one year to the other. When profits from the product start to significantly dwindle, it is dropped and replaced with a newer one. Since so many people just seem to be unable to see the difference... well, what can I say? Ignorance.

Cathedral said:

Totally false. You can't back that claim up with anything. Stop making blanket statements and provide some evidence. Your entire argument is invalid without it.

Ever heard of consumerism? No? Well, it's time to go to the University of Wikipedia to learn all about it, smart guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumerism

Oh, and I bet your response will be "Your argument is invalid when you cite the Wikipedia herp derp". I can see that coming a mile away.

Cathedral said:

Your argument is that people are ignorant because of the music they listen to. I linked you a study that shows that scientists are trying to prove that music has a bearing on the intellectuality of a person as an analogous example for what a real, informative website is. The only relevance to your website is that it had to do with music, sorry you missed it.

I'm not saying that people are ignorant BECAUSE of the music that they listen to. That is simply a fallacy. No, what I am saying is that people are ignorant because they refuse to look beyond mainstream media and takes everything they say as the truth and forms their opinions and tastes around it. They do not think for themselves and thinks that's all there is to this world. Well, that could go for almost everything.

That's ignorance, defined. And ignorance is man's worst enemy.

Cathedral said:
I'm beginning to think that the notion of "we're not being forced to listen to anything" is nothing but an overused cop-out. Of course we're not forced to listen to Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake.

It's not a cop-out, it's a fact. If people didn't like the music, they wouldn't listen to it. It's clear and simple.

Not that clear and simple. Some people just don't know any better. I didn't when I listened to metalcore bands when I had an undying love for Black Sabbath and wanted to listen to bands like them. But I just didn't know. A lot of people listen to something, mostly because it's popular (or "cool"), which is probably the stupidest reason for liking something in the first place.

Cathedral said:

Who are you talking about? Are you just making up honeysuckle up as you go along? Have you taken any polls or have any evidence of anything you're saying? I personally know someone that likes Lady Gaga and death metal...do you have any real life reference, statistics, evidence, to your bullshit claim?

Of course I was. I thought I could just let my thoughts flow out my mind, but no. I don't need any polls or "evidence" to say that most people have similar music tastes. Just take a walk. Go into public. Switch on the FM/AM radio. Watch TV. fresia, the evidence is everywhere!

Oh, and about death metal, you could be saying that he likes Cannibal Corpse or even Slipknot (I know they're "knot" death metal, but some people do. Hell, some people might think that AC/DC is death metal. HAH!) for all I know.

I would have been more impressed if you said you knew someone who loved jazz or classical music.

Cathedral said:

You don't know anything. You continue to spout subjective opinion with no evidence or any logic behind it other than some black and mysterious website that you yourself said contains flawed information. When you do actually know something, please respond.

I don't know anything. Well, keep on stating the obvious. Maybe I'll forget the English language and how to eat soon. Maybe I'll start liking Lady Gaga's music and start thinking that Black Sabbath is boring. Maybe I'll start voting for our next USA president while watching reality TV shows. Hell, I might just start going out and talking with people and making friends and getting laid just like everyone else. When that happens, I will have achieved Ascension. I will finally see the great big SPAGHETTI MONSTER!!! And maybe I will finally understand why mainstream music is great and why anything that isn't popular sucks. Ha ha! :rolleyes2:

Clearly you are unable to provide anything other than subjective opinion based on absolutely nothing. I can see why the first few people in this post greeted you with nonsense. Good luck with "knowing" whatever it is you feel you know, I'm sure you'll be able to sway the masses with the tide of your free flowing thoughts. Have fun. :)

Cathedral said:
HUURRRR DURRRR DERPAA HERP DERP

funny-celebrity-pictures-i-find-that-notion-preposterous.jpg

stride pretty much hit all the points. all i see is subjective bias in your arguments. if you can't provide anything concrete,

/thread

abandon_thread_gorilla.gif

Stride said:
Clearly you are unable to provide anything other than subjective opinion based on absolutely nothing. I can see why the first few people in this post greeted you with nonsense. Good luck with "knowing" whatever it is you feel you know, I'm sure you'll be able to sway the masses with the tide of your free flowing thoughts. Have fun. :)

A Desolate Soul said:
Cathedral said:

stride pretty much hit all the points. all i see is subjective bias in your arguments. if you can't provide anything concrete,

/thread

******* Hell. You morons didn't even read what I said, right? I bet if I did that meme-trolling honeysuckle on any other thread on here, I'd get warned or banned. But I bet you're yet another one of the mod's asskissers, so it's cool. It's COOL! Keep on drinking the Kool-Aid! You'll see.

Predicted response:

1298663006634.png

Yeah, I mad... or jelly? *sigh*

lol everyone so mad in this thread.

I like some music artists put out today. Sadly, much of what's popular today is honeysuckle, so it can be hard to find decent music.

I also write and play my own songs.

Where does that put me in the grand scheme of things?

Cathedral said:
Stride said:

A Desolate Soul said:
Cathedral said:

/thread

******* Hell. You morons didn't even read what I said, right? I bet if I did that meme-trolling honeysuckle on any other thread on here, I'd get warned or banned. But I bet you're yet another one of the mod's asskissers, so it's cool. It's COOL! Keep on drinking the Kool-Aid! You'll see.

Predicted response:

Yeah, I mad... or jelly? *sigh*

saythattomyface.jpg

Latest posts

Back