Thoughts on Urban Survival

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulo said:
i`d like to think i would just snap and revert to my inner caveman survival instincts.
smash everything and everyone that gets close and eat em if you can :p
but im pretty sure id be the first to go when the time for grosery shopping came and there were no more stores.

what i find funny is how much thought has gone into surviving by people that arn`t to happy being in this world in the first place.
or maybe thats the reason why the world turning into chaos doesn`t seem like such a bad thing.
change is good right ? :p

I envision you having meticulous planning and when the surface world goes into chaos, you disappear into your elaborate underground lair with internal hydroponics for decades to come before becoming the founder of a series of monestaries wherein shall be the greatest repository of knowledge for the next thousand years :D

For my part, I'm pretty sure that life is out to kill me, so I'm just trying to survive for as long as possible.

hehehe, that does sound pretty cool .
maybe i should get started on that :p
unfortunately im really crappy at long term planning.
and it would prob take me a week or so to notice what was happening outside.
maybe i should just build one and move in already to be sure ill reach safety in time.
ill go looking for a shovel and a mining helmet first thing in the morning i think.
anyone know if you can get em online somewhere ???

There was a movie I saw when I was younger where a family went down into a bunker during the cold war because they thought the nukes were going off. Like 20 years later their kid is all grown up and they run out of supplies to the kid goes to the surface...and nothing ever happened and their bunker ends up under some hippie place. That movie was pretty funny from what I remember but I don't remember the name. Their bunker was really awesome though.

[Edit- Its called Blast From the Past. Its got Christopher Walkins in it mhmm :)]
[video=youtube]

[youtube]xdy1waSwjn8[/youtube]
[youtube]SsTDqrXygIk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]
[youtube]9o1uYsNomfQ[/youtube]
[youtube]9_P6FwGMh9k[/youtube]
[youtube]Qf6db-h1zW8[/youtube]
[youtube]GNmUNEXGQKs&feature=related[/youtube]

Skorian said:
Did you know that a if you really break the skin that your bite can kill? It could get infected and kill if untreated. Maybe you look forward to eating people? ick.

There are only a few things that could end the world and in those cases survivalism would be about worthless. A large asteroid could end it all. Knock the earth off it's orbit into space. If you survive the asteroid you would burn or freeze. Chances are a large rock could not be stopped like in the movies.

Peoples only chance would be to work as a community and produce food. Would need to be prepaired for several situations that could happen. The only reason we don't do this today is oil. Cheap transport has allowed us to totally redesign the way food reaches places. It used to be hard to really transport it long distances. So many places are totally not designed to produce their own crops.

It is more likely that life could just get alot harder then today. As a result of several problems we are going to have to face. Everywhere that there are glaciers people are sitting and watching them vanish. There is a really scary book about pollution called "Your Stolen Future". It explains that DDT is now known to have affected humans by causing premature births. It also explains other problems we are seeing with pollution and concerns scientists have. There are other problems as well such as ever increasing population. Decreasing fertility of crop lands. Vanishing top soil. Decreased genetic variation of crops. The excessive use of monoculture crops. Desertification that slowly advances. Decreasing rainforests. Increasing rates of extinction of species. The more humans there are the more likely that a virus or bacteria evolves into a the perfect killer that causes mass extinction. Fun fun.

If people are in small groups it is likely they would get attacked by those who are starving and desperate. If society collapses, canibalism is one thing that has happened in past historical disasters. Most would probably starve first, but some people in a real disaster with no end in site would probably choose to live off of what food there was, humans. I would rather eat dirt and starve.

We hit peak oil a few years back. That means that the amount produced is now moving towards decreasing while demand is increasing. Many smart people predict that in about 20 to 30 years the global economy will begin to really collapse since almost everything requires oil to be the way it is. The oil industry has a long history of destroying things that really threaten it's income. So they will likely force every drop out before letting go of their grip. Some things will probably find alternatives while others will not. I saw some new energy technology that some oil company was starting to invest in to prepare, but it still won't stop them from forcing people to use oil as much as they can. Around 20 to 30 years we are likely to see radical change or mass death. Maybe both. It is possible that nothing will do all the things oil does.

Part of the problems around the world right now are because the price of a barrel of oil is starting to rise faster. http://www.google.com/search?q=year...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a I believe Obama and congress started paying for oil with taxes to reduce the price at the pump for most people. It is only a short term fix though.

It is likely that the prices of things will start going up faster and faster. Production will decrease. Eventually technology will start to go backwards. Many people believe that it is all fueled by oil.

We need to start using trains more here in the US. Most industrialized countries are more then 10 years ahead of us in terms of using alternative energy sources.

Oh ya, and if you live in a large city, chances are you will just starve or meet a bad end. People have more chances in less populated area's.

I know a bite can kill that way, but it wouldn't be that effective, if you are in serious danger you should try to go for an artery so the person can't keep attacking you...

Also I'm aware of peak oil and the problems this would bring, I've seen some documentaries about it (I recommend Blind Spot). People in power, "the elite", they don't want us to find out, they want us to keep consuming and supporting this unsustainable system...

Are you sure you wouldn't eat a dead person? or kill at least to defend your family? A teacher I had used to say "when people have to go trough an extreme situation, all they masks fall off and their true personality appears". I don't think anyone can really know how he/she would exactly react in a crisis situation. Survival is a very strong feeling. The strongest (at lest on a healthy individual). People will do things they probably didn't think they were capable off to survive.

Skorian said:
Did you know that a if you really break the skin that your bite can kill? It could get infected and kill if untreated. Maybe you look forward to eating people? ick.

There are only a few things that could end the world and in those cases survivalism would be about worthless. A large asteroid could end it all. Knock the earth off it's orbit into space. If you survive the asteroid you would burn or freeze. Chances are a large rock could not be stopped like in the movies.

Peoples only chance would be to work as a community and produce food. Would need to be prepaired for several situations that could happen. The only reason we don't do this today is oil. Cheap transport has allowed us to totally redesign the way food reaches places. It used to be hard to really transport it long distances. So many places are totally not designed to produce their own crops.

It is more likely that life could just get alot harder then today. As a result of several problems we are going to have to face. Everywhere that there are glaciers people are sitting and watching them vanish. There is a really scary book about pollution called "Your Stolen Future". It explains that DDT is now known to have affected humans by causing premature births. It also explains other problems we are seeing with pollution and concerns scientists have. There are other problems as well such as ever increasing population. Decreasing fertility of crop lands. Vanishing top soil. Decreased genetic variation of crops. The excessive use of monoculture crops. Desertification that slowly advances. Decreasing rainforests. Increasing rates of extinction of species. The more humans there are the more likely that a virus or bacteria evolves into a the perfect killer that causes mass extinction. Fun fun.

If people are in small groups it is likely they would get attacked by those who are starving and desperate. If society collapses, canibalism is one thing that has happened in past historical disasters. Most would probably starve first, but some people in a real disaster with no end in site would probably choose to live off of what food there was, humans. I would rather eat dirt and starve.

We hit peak oil a few years back. That means that the amount produced is now moving towards decreasing while demand is increasing. Many smart people predict that in about 20 to 30 years the global economy will begin to really collapse since almost everything requires oil to be the way it is. The oil industry has a long history of destroying things that really threaten it's income. So they will likely force every drop out before letting go of their grip. Some things will probably find alternatives while others will not. I saw some new energy technology that some oil company was starting to invest in to prepare, but it still won't stop them from forcing people to use oil as much as they can. Around 20 to 30 years we are likely to see radical change or mass death. Maybe both. It is possible that nothing will do all the things oil does.

Part of the problems around the world right now are because the price of a barrel of oil is starting to rise faster. http://www.google.com/search?q=year...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a I believe Obama and congress started paying for oil with taxes to reduce the price at the pump for most people. It is only a short term fix though.

It is likely that the prices of things will start going up faster and faster. Production will decrease. Eventually technology will start to go backwards. Many people believe that it is all fueled by oil.

We need to start using trains more here in the US. Most industrialized countries are more then 10 years ahead of us in terms of using alternative energy sources.

Oh ya, and if you live in a large city, chances are you will just starve or meet a bad end. People have more chances in less populated area's.

I know it can kill that way, but it wouldn't be that effective, if you are in serious danger you should try to go for an artery so the person can't keep attacking you...

Also I'm aware of peak oil and the problems this would bring, I've seen some documentaries about it (I recommend Blind Spot). People in power, "the elite", they don't want us to find out, they want us to keep consuming and supporting this unsustainable system...

Are you sure you wouldn't eat a dead person if you are starving? woldn't you kill someone at least to defend your family? A teacher I had once told our class "in extreme situations, our masks fall off and our true personality appears". Survival is the strongest instinct we have, we'll do things we probably don't think we are capable for the survival of ourselves or the ones we care about.

Our perceptions always tend to change, acording to the context. We aren't static beings. We change. You can't really know exaclty what you will do...

Skorian said:

I know a bite can kill that way, but it wouldn't be that effective, if you are in serious danger you should try to go for an artery so the person can't keep attacking you...

Are you sure you wouldn't eat a dead person if you are starving? woldn't you kill someone at least to defend your family? A teacher I had once told our class "in extreme situations, our masks fall off and our true personality appears". Survival is the strongest instinct we have, we'll do things we probably don't think we are capable for the survival of ourselves or the ones we care about.

Our perceptions always tend to change, acording to the context. We aren't static beings. We change. You can't really know exaclty what you will do...

Oh boy. See the movie City Slickers. lol. Most of you have never really been away from civilization. Most of this stuff is what should be put into an emergency kit that you throw in a car just in case. It is only good for short term problems, a couple weeks. Some of the items go beyond that, but don't expect to live off an emergency kit. They are the kind of items you would go camping with for a weekend. Most movies are fiction and not even remotely real. If you want to see a real prediction movie see Apocolypse Now

People will not behave like zombies and just go completely mad. Though I think people in an urban area would panic much more then around where I live.

Never forget that your own gun can be used against you. Having one can be more dangerous to you then to the so called people you think you will shoot.

Few months ago I watched a documentary done by people who worked in atomic weapon bunkers here in the US. Did you know there several close calls per year? Most are software or hardware glitches. I personally would think it more likely that our own weapons would be used against us. Not one fired from outside.

Skorian said:
Felix said:
If close enough, bite. you can really hurt someone with a good bite. anyone can do it!

thats my personal advice... :p

Why do I feel like all of these doods want something bad to happen so they will be able to use these things.

I would post more but i think i'd bore people.

kamya said:
Why do I feel like all of these doods want something bad to happen so they will be able to use these things.

because they probably *do* want something bad to happen.

@Skorian: I know a bite can kill that way, but it wouldn't be that effective, if you are in serious danger you should try to go for an artery so the person can't keep attacking you...

LOl Interesting thread in context.

Me and my kids have a rallying point. Montréal is a big city, in case of any major attack, or wars, or a disaster, it's a natural strategic location, hence will probably be invaded first, or affected first in case of a huge natural disaster. So we have a rallying point. My folks live up north, maybe 1 1/2 hours away, in a remote, wooded, elevated, easily defensible location. It's bordered by a natural stream, downslopes from the house and it's only access point is the road, which is clear from our vantage point. A handful of people, like 2, could easily defend it from a number of adversaries and supplies are plentiful in the small township up the mountain, where they are mostly retired. So, it's an ideal location and my folks have enough food to last a year, easy, for 12 people (mom's a hoarder lol).

So if something bad were to happen, my oldest is instructed to pack nothing at all, grab her sister and by hook or by crook, make her way with her to my father's place. To NOT wait for me, I'll find them, if I'm not dead. That's the plan. Our meeting place is there, 2 weeks after whatever major event happens. If I'm not there, they are to stay with my folks. If they don't make it, I'm going back to look for them.

I don't believe there's a lot of chances to make it in a big urban center if it degenerates to something equivalent to civil war. Instead of hoping your neighbhor you been friends with for 10 years turns up being a psychopath under pressure, best to get the Hell out of Dodge.

This, of course, was elaborated as plan in case of a Zombie Apocalypse LOL! But as I told her, it applies to anything else.

Seems like a prudent plan Richard. You're lucky to have a good retreat location and with supplies too. Your country's neighbors to the south may come visiting during a SHTF event. A lot of 'em are gun owners I'm afraid......

I haven't read the entire thread, but survivalists are full of it.

A hostile state explodes a nuclear device high in the exosphere. No damage to buildings, but no need. Magnetic pulse. All electonics fried. No post-1970s cars will run, so no emergency vehicles. Power will go out. Water will shut off. No trains. No Planes. Telephone network down. Banking down. Hospitals down. Internet down. No shopping. Roaming warlords within hours. You're screwed.

WW3 millions [billions?] die from the missile strikes, fallout and ash cause a unbreathable toxic atmosphere resulting in a extinction level event. Nuclear winter engulfs the planet.

Last remaining survivalist down his bunker asphyxiates from hydrogen sulphide poisoning brought about by only having baked beans to eat from his 2000 tin stockpile...ffffttttt.. :D

You know, the urban prepper thing is actually quite interesting, I'd look at it as a fun "hobby" myself, learning survival skills, building awesome underground bunkers, playing with tech to get self sustainable... I'd feel like 10 years old again... I'd love it :D

Latest posts

Back