"Titanic principle"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'The lady had been on the bridge over the line and then jumped off it. 'She landed right between the rails where she was lying parallel between them,' said Michael Ember, 44.

'The man couldn't get her off and he was then trying to get to the end of the platform but did not make it and that was when the accident happened.'

I think these are two important infos from the article that should be pointed out. Be advised that I have no intention of invalidating this man's heroic act.
But it sounds like he tried to save the life of somebody who tried to commit suicide. The observation that he couldn't get this woman off the tracks might even indicate she refused the help...and sealed his fate in return. If so, this is the real tragedy to me.

There are two sides to each story...that's all I wanted to say.

I am not sure what is the point with these articles, showcasing men and boys being the "heroes". It is not a requirement for men to do the dirty job all the **** time. Times have changed and women can do it too. In fact they have on many accounts. I'll just refer you to a few of these articles of such accounts.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...b/04/women-syria-civil-defence-rescue-workers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fenceless-man-mob-attack-onlookers-watch.html
http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/lauren-parentingcom/12-year-old-girl-saves-boy-drowning

My point is, women/girls are not privileged to be saved over men/boys in any case just for their gender. To quote from the first article, "To save one life is to save all of humanity..". It's not just about saving women and children. It's about helping those in need, regardless of gender, race, religion, beliefs or anything else that might distinguish human beings from one another.

My apologies if this wasn't what you were intending to convey but it is what I'm inferring from the articles you just posted.

The purpose of the articles were to show "age" has no boundries where courage is concerned! And nothing what so ever about "equality" !

****! I saw article as an example of human race on their best about humanity, didn't see the point about equality there, lol. :D

Raven22 said:
The purpose of the articles were to show "age" has no boundries where courage is concerned! And nothing what so ever about "equality" !

Oh all right, I was just basing from your previous posts and it didn't seem like age was a factor you were mainly pointing out before you posted those articles. Point noted.

Raven22 said:

That's kind of contradictory all in its own. And then when you consider your previous post, one would kind of think it was about gender privilege, as Lady pointed out.

Well,obviously what people "thought" was wrong. Am i having Deja vu,or is it the exact same people people yet again who are "fixating" on what they see as an "equality" issue, to try start an argument? Or would that come under the heading of words being twisted to suit what they want to use to "disagree"
Surely that would come under the heading of "Cyber bullies"?

0f87f5107a2a53e23988aa49c44b2e9cc7ca29a46014201c4c2e355c1b17ab8e.jpg

Raven22 said:
Well,obviously what people "thought" was wrong. Am i having Deja vu,or is it the exact same people people yet again who are "fixating" on what they see as an "equality" issue, to try start an argument? Or would that come under the heading of words being twisted to suit what they want to use to "disagree"
Surely that would come under the heading of "Cyber bullies"?

So, are we not to believe you say what you mean and mean what you say? If anyone's twisting words to suit their disagreement, it's you, to be honest.

I "know" exactly what i "mean or say" and i do not "twist" things around. I have no control over what people decide what their own interpretation of what they "think" i have "meant"!

Obviously i still do not understand the rules that apply on this forum.
Namely,that people are allowed to "disagree" with anything "they" have twisted around to suit themselves to "disagree" with me, but i am not allowed to "disagree"or have my own opinion?

You can disagree with whatever you'd like. Where, anywhere, did I say you weren't allowed to? I didn't say anything about you disagreeing that was off. You said something in a previous post that contradicts with another post of yours. Either you forget what you said, or what you posted was not what you really meant.

You did not say or put that i was allowed to or not. I asked if i was allowed too disagree with people or have an opinion. That was a question. That is why it had a question mark at the end of it. A sentence with a question mark is a question. I have not forgotten anything i posted and anything i meant has been wrongly percieved. :)

I would personally throw myself and the next 5 adults off a boat to save children, but hey :rolleyes:

You frame the thread and the original question about manners and whether guys would still sacrifice themselves in a "Titanic" situation. Now suddenly gender isn't the issue and its all about age?

Go troll somewhere else. You're just going to keep running into problems here.

Well well well. Another person who can't read. I didn't change it to age. Your mistake. I said courage knows no bounderies. And are you somebody special? Or do you just think you are? Call me a troll and tell me to go? Very strange rules you have on this forum. A forum is for discussion. So far it has only been "attacks" and twisting everything i say. For people who keep screaming equality,your rules seem very one sided. Running into problems? That sounds like a threat? Surely that is against the rules? Or have i misunderstood the rules again?

Raven22 said:
Well well well. Another person who can't read. I didn't change it to age. Your mistake. I said courage knows no bounderies. And are you somebody special? Or do you just think you are? Call me a troll and tell me to go? Very strange rules you have on this forum. A forum is for discussion. So far it has only been "attacks" and twisting everything i say. For people who keep screaming equality,your rules seem very one sided. Running into problems? That sounds like a threat? Surely that is against the rules? Or have i misunderstood the rules again?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.....

Raven22 said:
Relationship's and friendship's are based on trust and caring. Part of that trust and care is how far or how much would you be prepared to give or care.
Part of the "Titanic principle" in relationship's, is good manners. Do good manner's mean that much to people today,or are good manner,s,and particular to good manner's towards Women,only something the older generation saw as normal everyday thing's, but today would be frowned upon as sexist?
Would the Guy's these day's give up a space on a life boat and go down with a sinking ship?
Would Women expect them too these day's.
Be nice to hear from all generations on this.
http://ethicsalarms.com/2010/01/07/the-titanic-principle-and-the-ethics-of-helping-the-desperate/

Good manners are rare, but some of us had decent parents.

Good manners towards women is by definition sexist. But if my holding a door for a bitter feminist is offensive, well I won't loose any sleep over it :D .

There are men who would not think twice about giving up a seat on a life boat (or a train) to a woman or child, but don't hold your breath waiting for one to show up.

there are women who expect anything and everything handed to them.

There are exceptional people living among us. Most people can't see them until they see them running in while everyone else is running away.

Latest posts

Back