Transference

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bratwurst0516

Reaction score
This involves the woman I loved, who died 9/6/2021, and the female grief counselor I started seeing professionally 10/2021.

While I learned a lot more about my grief counselor, than the woman I loved. I think I went through 'transference'. By falling for my grief counselor. I won't tell my grief counselor. Because, I won't act on that feeling. But, I think my loneliness might be the cause.

This involves the woman I loved, who died 9/6/2021, and the female grief counselor I started seeing professionally 10/2021.

While I learned a lot more about my grief counselor, than the woman I loved. I think I went through 'transference'. By falling for my grief counselor. I won't tell my grief counselor. Because, I won't act on that feeling. But, I think my loneliness might be the cause.
Sounds so complicated, this is very common though… my experience is opposite … I could tell my counsellor wanted to sleep with me after session 4, can be so difficult to know what to do with all those emotions 🙃

Sounds so complicated, this is very common though… my experience is opposite … I could tell my counselor wanted to sleep with me after session 4, can be so difficult to know what to do with all those emotions 🙃
I even went so far as, looking up the American Counseling Association Code of Conduct. Looking for any holes. I found one, but I would have to wait five years after my final appointment with her.:( Also, Thinking of videos' of songs by popular bands to give to her(I won't give them to her).

1. Can't Fight This Feeling-REO Speedwagon
2. Keep On Loving You-REO Speedwagon
3. All I Need-Jack Wagner(Frisco Jones on 'General Hospital')
4. Can't Stop Loving You-Van Halen

Her beauty is natural(no makeup, just like the woman who died). Her looks(like the woman who died) put model Cheryl Tiegs, and model/actress Brooke Shields to shame. Prior to her, my previous experience, seeing a female therapist wasn't good, even traumatic. So, I was 'blown away'. When I found out she was assigned.

Last edited:
I even went so far as, looking up the American Counseling Association Code of Conduct. Looking for any holes. I found one, but I would have to wait five years after my final appointment with her.:( Also, Thinking of videos' of songs by popular bands to give to her(I won't give them to her).

1. Can't Fight This Feeling-REO Speedwagon
2. Keep On Loving You-REO Speedwagon
3. All I Need-Jack Wagner(Frisco Jones on 'General Hospital')
4. Can't Stop Loving You-Van Halen

Her beauty is natural(no makeup, just like the woman who died). Her looks(like the woman who died) put model Cheryl Tiegs, and model/actress Brooke Shields to shame. Prir to her, my previous experience, seeing a female therapist wasn't good, even traumatic. So, I was 'blown away'. When I found out she was assigned.
Oh wow, she sounds amazing I mean idk… I hope if theres something there it blooms 🌺🌸🌹🌻🌼 I mean its a tough situation but … time will tell 😇 Also Cheryl T is a huge inspiration to me 😅 so thats amazing.

Oh wow, she sounds amazing I mean idk… I hope if theres something there it blooms 🌺🌸🌹🌻🌼 I mean its a tough situation but … time will tell 😇 Also Cheryl T is a huge inspiration to me 😅 so thats amazing.
I would have to wait 5yrs., if at all. She is also 10-12yrs., younger than me(55 in May).

I would have to wait 5yrs., if at all. She is also 10-12yrs., younger than me(55 in May).
I am going to put forth the idea that you really don't know her.

I used to teach English as a second language to adults. (I live in a French region.) There was a man who wouldn't stop asking me out (not against the rules... not like a therapist).

It was a group of about 8 adults. I taught them for over a year... 3 hours once a week.

We talked about everything. You have to talk about everything in order to give people the vocabulary to talk about everything.
It began simple like: ''Do you have a car?'' ''Do you have a house?'' ''Do you have a condo?'' Yes, I do. No, I don't.
As we advanced: ''Would you rather.... ?'' Why or why not.

Everyone had the right to lie. They did not the right to not answer because we were there to speak English.

I lied a lot. If someone asked, ''Do you like golf?'' I had to say yes in order to continue the conversation and give vocabulary.

My family is complicated. Rather than say I had a problem with a family member, I just didn't say.

As a teacher I appear extroverted. Well, I am introverted. Teaching is like acting for me. I go home and I am quiet.

So, they thought they had a fun, extroverted person from a stable family. But I am quiet, and I am broken and my family is broken. And they never knew.

You don't ask her....
''What makes you sad?''
''What is your greatest challenge?''
''What makes you frustrated?''
''What is your biggest joy?''

You don't know these things about her. The two of you talk about YOUR life and you connect over YOUR life.
You don't know her life or her feelings or what makes her tick... not at all.

And the end of my story... I finally told the guy that I would go out on a date with him if he switched teachers. He didn't switch teachers. I didn't out with him. I think we would have driven each other crazy. He was high energy. I can imagine needing to relax and him pushing me to do things. Him needing to move and me needing him not to move.

I am going to put forth the idea that you really don't know her.

I used to teach English as a second language to adults. (I live in a French region.) There was a man who wouldn't stop asking me out (not against the rules... not like a therapist).

It was a group of about 8 adults. I taught them for over a year... 3 hours once a week.

We talked about everything. You have to talk about everything in order to give people the vocabulary to talk about everything.
It began simple like: ''Do you have a car?'' ''Do you have a house?'' ''Do you have a condo?'' Yes, I do. No, I don't.
As we advanced: ''Would you rather.... ?'' Why or why not.

Everyone had the right to lie. They did not the right to not answer because we were there to speak English.

I lied a lot. If someone asked, ''Do you like golf?'' I had to say yes in order to continue the conversation and give vocabulary.

My family is complicated. Rather than say I had a problem with a family member, I just didn't say.

As a teacher I appear extroverted. Well, I am introverted. Teaching is like acting for me. I go home and I am quiet.

So, they thought they had a fun, extroverted person from a stable family. But I am quiet, and I am broken and my family is broken. And they never knew.

You don't ask her....
''What makes you sad?''

You don't know these things about her. The two of you talk about YOUR life and you connect over YOUR life.
You don't know her life or her feelings or what makes her tick... not at all.

And the end of my story... I finally told the guy that I would go out on a date with him if he switched teachers. He didn't switch teachers. I didn't out with him. I think we would have driven each other crazy. He was high energy. I can imagine needing to relax and him pushing me to do things. Him needing to move and me needing him not to move.
I know everyone has a right to lie. It is usually a client lying to the therapist, not the other way around, Also, I told her things I figured out without having to even ask her. No, I don't know her to a T. But, I do know:

Age-She told me her mother's 'age'(in her 60's), after I mentioned my elderly mother's age. I just had to do a little math in my head, to get a round-a-bout age of her. When she told me her mother had been a teen mom. I am sure she wouldn't just blurt that out, if she were lying about it. When I told her that I thought she was 10-12yrs. younger than me. She confirmed I was right.

Drinking-I could tell she didn't have a drinking problem. Because, Her speech has not been slurred during my appointments. Maybe she could be a 'recreational drinker', but I doubt it.

Smoking-I could tell she doesn't smoke. Because she doesn't have any yellow stains on her teeth, or finger nails. Sure could use toothpaste for smokers. But getting it off the finger nails is another matter. My (ex)father-in-law was a smoker until the year before the wedding. He had stains from smoking.

Religion-Christian, I knew she was a Christian. Because that is who told the counseling service I wanted(Christian, Jewish, Non Denominational were the options)

Denomination-SBC Baptist, she told me that after I mentioned what denomination(LCMS-Lutheran) I belong to.

CPR/FA-I mentioned that since my mother is elderly, I need to get re-certified. She told me her second job requires that she be certified.

Divorced-I told her. That I researched her on the Internet(anyone should research a licensed professional before using their services). I found she had a different last name than what she has listed on the counseling website. She told me that she got divorced in 2020, and went through a period of grief after her divorce. I told her that, for me. The painful time was, the first six months of the separation(my wife initiated it). Until my (ex)wife made a callous and ignorant remark about my physical health. Which she knew about before we got married. That made my divorce emotionally easy to cope with.

Lives w/ mother-I told her that I do for (physical)health reasons. She told me she couldn't live with her mother. She lives alone with her dog. Because I never hear any background voices/noises that could startle the dog.

Too sensitive-She told me, had also been accused of being too sensitive. But, I think a lot of people are accused of that.

Pro-Life/Pro-Choice-I haven't asked and I don't think I will(at least not in therapy). While that is important to me. I cant ask that during therapy.

Death Penalty-Yes/No-While important(to me at least). It is another topic I won't ask her about.

2nd Amendment-I don't think she owns a gun.

Music-I haven't asked.

Movies-^^^Same as above^^^

Food-Important, but not essential knowledge

Color-^^^Same as above^^^ I saw someone when I was a kid who confirmed that my favorite color was actually what looked best on me. Even if she hasn't had her colors done, that is okay.

Also, If she weren't able to cope with my physical health. Despite being certified in CPR n' First Aid. Then she would be history.

''What makes you sad?''

^^^Sure I don't know those, outright^^^ But they are easy to learn. The third question actually goes to her being accused of being too sensitive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back