Troubles & Triumphs

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Apothecary

Reaction score
Thread title alliteration, huzzah!

*Ahem*, anyways... I figured I'd start a thread about something that has been on my mind.
I'm fairly sure it fits under the topic of "loneliness" & I apologize in advance if there's already a similar thread.

All throughout my time spent researching loneliness, depression, anxiety & all that jazz; sharing your problems & confiding in someone has been suggested in most articles.
That's not to say it shouldn't be, because it most definitely should be, but I think there's something that gets overlooked a lot: sharing one's triumphs.

I don't know many very people. Out of those people, very few care about my problems & even fewer care about my accomplishments.
There's no one that I feel comfortable sharing my problems with, but I'd have no problem chatting with my "friends" about something positive.
Every now & then I'll come up with an idea for a story, finish a poem I was stumped on or something else that makes me excited, happy & chatty.
I've talked about some of these experiences with my so-called "friends", but they just don't seem to care.

To me, not being able to celebrate the things that are going right makes me feel almost as bad as not being able to talk about what's going wrong.
Does anybody else feel that way? I know I do, but I do feel a little better by publishing stuff online & hoping that somebody else gets some enjoyment reading it.

I'm sort of in the same boat - I always told my Jackie about the good and bad things going on. I can still call my brother or father, but it's not the same. And it's usually the stupid little things like putting in a dimmer switch or painting a room a new color, where I would call her into the room and stand proudly by my work as she smiled - it's not the same to call someone and tell them these sorts of things.

All I can say is keep publishing stuff online and I'm sure people will get some enjoyment out of it.

I think you have to know the right kind of people to be able to talk about the right kind of things. For example, I can talk to some of my friends about Girls. But I can't with others because of the type of people they are. I don't like that I can't talk to some people about some things for whatever reason. But I just compromise. You just need to do the same ^_^ In the mean time, you can seek new friends who share your interests maybe.

@ theraab: I've always found that indirect interactions only go so far. A handful of people have said that they enjoyed what I've posted online to some extent, so at least I know I'm not useless.

@ Gutted: Yeah, that makes sense; to each their own & all that jazz. I'm fine with compromising, but with my steadily shrinking circle of acquaintances, there aren't many compromises to make. I could talk about movies & games among other things, but I don't watch the kinds of movies other people usually watch & my interest in video games is fading. There's no real connection & at the end of the day I just felt like I wasted my time trying to form one with them. I've been meeting some people online, but online communications aren't a constant. On multiple occasions people I was chatting with suddenly disappear without warning. After about a month or so I assume they're not coming back. I'm still hopeful that I'll meet some people in college.

Latest posts

Back