Two Years Ago

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguarundi

Reaction score
Mum was in her special chair as usual. She never left it anymore, and didn't struggle to do so anymore, either. The screaming and shouting she would do when finding herself strapped into it by it's special straps had gone a long while ago. It stopped her falling out of the chair now as much as preventing her from getting up, wandering around and falling over.

She was mumbling a bit earlier on, about Lil, where was Lil, she was out again and she would be in trouble, then moaned for her Ma. Her sister and and mother - dead since the 1970's. Then she nodded off, and slept, though not very peacefully, her head was slanted off to one side. I did the cleaning around her, and she woke up, and I thought she might want a cup of tea, so I made one, and let it cool to luke warm, before spooning it into her mouth, with a dessert spoon. Very slowly, a drop at a time, she swallowed a little bit of it, then turned her head away like a child refusing to be fed. The last drops trickled off her chin and I wiped them off.

Suddenly she came to herself, just a little, those flashes so very rare now, and said 'that was lovely'. Then she took my hand and held it to her face. 'Thanks love,' she said, quite clearly. 'eh, you know - I do love you.' Then she was gone again, like the sun on a cloudy day, slipping behind the clouds.

She was so very much weaker now, she had gone very deaf and was blind. Her internal organs, her brain, eaten away by Alzheimers'. Because that is what it does. I went home, cried a bit, got on with stuff, had a drink or two with my dinner. Because I knew it ws getting very close.

At 10:30 that night - a phonecall. It was the SAMU (emergency services medics), phoning from my parents' house. They needed me to speak to my father. I could hear him, screaming and shouting in the background. The medic explained that Mum had collapsed, was unconscious and could not be woken. They were taking her to the nearest hospital, but feared that ... They thought father might be unfit to drive. I heard him shouting 'I've seen ******* dead bodies before, I don't ******* care if she might be dead, why would it ******* upset me?' in the background. I hoped the medics grasp of English was not so good that they would understand what he was saying.

He wanted to drive to the hospital, I had drunk the wine with my meal, so he came to my house, picked me up. I can do the drive to the hospital in 20 minutes at a pinch, it took us nearly 40, he wouldn't risk speeding. Maybe he just didn't want to get there. I don't know.

We got there, the ambulance had arrived, but they woudn't let us into the the ER room until they had examined her. I saw the chief medic - thanked him. He used to be a nurse at the hospital, I recognised him. Said he was kind - he was very kind. He clasped my hand, warmly, wished me well, glanced at father. Nothing I could say, really.

It took a while. Father was furious, wasting his time, but I just avoided his ideas about ringing the bell, complaining. He did it himself in the end and a nurse came, annoyed, said they weren't quite ready and would be back shortly, gave me a poisonous look, as if I could do anything with him. Finally they let us into the room. The doctor was from francophone Africa - Senegal I would guess. Father is a bit - sometimes a lot - racist, but although he was - taught, he didn't insult the man. The doctor was kind, explained to me that they felt there was nothing they could do, they were not going to put her into intensive care, just - make her comfortable. Was that OK? I never asked father, just said yes. How can you wish to keep someone you love in a state like that? Even if you don't ant to lose them? I had already lost her. Gradually, drop by drop, day be day, the person she was leaking away, like water. I asked him how long - he couldn't say. Maybe hours, maybe a couple of days.

I kissed her - I massaged her feet - pressed her hand. Nothing. Father was his usual self. I explained - they say she is likely not to recover consciousness. There is nothing they can do. 'Well, no point in staying then, is there?' he said.

Why did I not say that I would stay? I could have called my friend K and told her - she would have come, there and then or maybe first thing in the morning. I couldn't think, couldn't think any more at all. So we left. It was a huge moon, a red moon, I remember seeing it bright and low and huge on the horizon. Very beautiful. It was after midnight, everything was quiet.

I went to bed, tried to sleep, couldn't, stayed awake for a long time then dozed. Woke up and at 8 in the morning and telephoned the hospital straight away. 11th of May 2011. They said she had died at 7am.

Hugs-8.jpg

hug.gif

hugs.jpg

hugx.gif

18-14.gif

Painters, eveie, JSG. Thank you. Very much. She would have loved the flowers and teddies, as do I. xxx

Thank you for sharing the last memories of your mum with us. I will also give you a big {{HUGS}}
I don't know if May11th is an international date for Mother's Days but it is in NorthAmerica.

I'm lucky enough to still have both my parents, but I don't know how I will cope when the inevitable happens. I'll never be ready to lose one of them and I have no idea how I'll manage to get through it. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, Jaguarundi. I hope that your pain fades with time and you're left only with happy memories.

Thanks grackle, user 130057, Teresa, choxie.

There were so many horrible things that happened in her last years, I know it was a release for her, but..

Fascinating....Didn't get Alzheimer's on this end but some aspects of your story are horribly familiar. Am sorry for your loss.

Also, re user 130057's question: When you lose someone you love to incurable disease you just get through it a day at a time, at first. I cannot speak for jaguarundi, but I suspect she did the same thing. The only real cure for a major loss is time...& time doesn't always do a great job for everyone.

^ Thanks Mtrip, yes that's right. One day at a time and do things to take the pain away.

Really I lost her to the disease long before she actually died. The problem with days like her birthday - (which was April 18th, easter this year and a very bad weekend for me indeed this time) - last night and Mother' Day - is that it brings the memories flooding back, not just this one but some ghastly stuff from the whole of her illness, things precipitated by my father's narcissism and selfishness. All rolled into one whammy so to speak.

Mostly I try to remember the good stuff, mostly I do. Sometimes I don't.

Writing it out helped.

Thanks for reading it.

jaguarundi said:
last night and Mother' Day - is that it brings the memories flooding back, not just this one but some ghastly stuff from the whole of her illness, things precipitated by my father's narcissism and selfishness. All rolled into one whammy so to speak.

Sorry for you loss Jaguarundi. I can relate. My mother passed away from Stomach Cancer in July but May and mothers day is what I remember and feel bad about. Mother's dad 2010, I get a call from her where she sounds like death. I rush home (on the train that takes an hour) and take her to the hospital. Immediately the CT shows something in her stomach... and over the mother's day weekend we get the results that it is stomach cancer... and that she has very little time left.

Happy mother's day!! You know you are old when most holiday's bring some bad memory.

{{}}

jaguarundi said:
There were so many horrible things that happened in her last years, I know it was a release for her, but..

I totally know what you mean there, jag. Went through a similar thing with my dad, who passed away 7 years ago. It is usually those last moments that really stay so vivid in your mind.. for ever, perhaps. I know.

I'm sorry you weren't able to be there with her when she passed on. I wasn't too with my dad, and that is really the only regret I've ever had in this lifetime of mine.

*hugs*

LonelySutton said:
Sorry for you loss Jaguarundi. I can relate. My mother passed away from Stomach Cancer in July but May and mothers day is what I remember and feel bad about.

Sorry for your loss, LonelySutton today particularly for you as it is Mother's Day in N America. Today is not Mother's Day in France - here it is always the last Sunday in May, but as I get UK TV I felt sad in April - when it was UK mother's day. The first year, just a couple of weeks after she died, I went into a supermarket here, loaded with mother's day stuff and I practically felt like clawing my way out. I ended up in such a state I left my purse (wallet in the US?) with my cash and cards and driving license... A really kind person found it and handed into the police, and I got it back with everything still in it. Everything. So that is in a way a good memory, that people are still honest and kind.

LadyForsaken said:
I totally know what you mean there, jag. Went through a similar thing with my dad, who passed away 7 years ago. It is usually those last moments that really stay so vivid in your mind.. for ever, perhaps. I know.

I'm sorry you weren't able to be there with her when she passed on. I wasn't too with my dad, and that is really the only regret I've ever had in this lifetime of mine.

You must have been quite young then, LadyF and so must your Dad. That must have been very difficult for you and for your family.

And I think these kind of things never really go away, those last memories, not for anyone. You just have to learn to not to dwell on it all the time, and time does make that better (for most people I think - it has for me), but certain times of the year it is practically impossible not to remember - and maybe it would be wrong if we did forget .

I'm so sorry for your loss Jags.

It can't have been easy not being there when she sadly slipped away. I know from experience how hard that is as my dad dropped down dead one day and we never had the chance to say goodbye.
I'm glad that writing your story on here has helped you today.
It's best to focus on the good memories of your mum and leave the bad ones behind.
**Hugs**
Take care

Thanks Tulip. Sorry you never had a chance to say goodbye to your dad. I was so lucky that the last words mum said to me were that she loved me. Almost if she knew.

jaguarundi said:
^ Thanks Mtrip, yes that's right. One day at a time and do things to take the pain away.

Really I lost her to the disease long before she actually died.

Anytime. That's so true...My father didn't have Alzheimer's but when his wife died & he had his heart attack, he was never the same man afterward. When I had him flown out to CA & buried, it was just a footnote to the real loss. My mother is technically still.alive now but in reality, what is left is a sick, ailing, sometimes delusional shell of the woman she used to be. Physical death doesn't scare me. The demise of the person often precedes the physical cessation of life processes.

Sorry about that Jag, watching your mother's condition deteriorate over those years must have been terrifying. My mother was diagnosed with cancer June 2006, which had spread to the head by September 2011, by which time there was nothing that could be done. She passed away January 2012. Early on we knew the long-term diagnosis wasn't good, but I always thought she would keep going like she had been with such incredible fortitude. There were some short-term memory problems in the last 2 months, but nothing like advanced Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. Thankfully we were allowed to stay near her in the hospice.

I'm sorry to hear it, Jag. I don't know what else to say except that this is something I worry about constantly. My family is mostly old now, and some of the things I dream of achieving will take a long time, that is just the nature of them. And I can't help but think, how can I really say that I'm looking forward to being there, when I don't know if my family will be there by the time I get where I want to be. I don't mean to sound selfish but I'd like for them to see me be somebody, reach my dreams, go to my wedding, know I turned out all right. I want them to be there not to boast, but for me to share in my good feelings. And I just want them to keep existing, I just want to keep having them in my life. Even if we're not in the same house it would comfort me knowing that they are there.

I guess I just try to tell myself that they would not like me to worry about them constantly, that that is not really enjoying them while they are around. I just try to be as nice as I can.

Latest posts

Back