Universities and poor communication skills

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieBeNice

Reaction score
Is there anyone on ALL that is at or has been to uni with poor social and communication skills which have caused problems while doing the course.

Also, careers advisors and university websites tell Pie that interviewers at universities look for students with good communication skills.

Pie is scared

PieBeNice said:
Is there anyone on ALL that is at or has been to uni with poor social and communication skills which have caused problems while doing the course.

Also, careers advisors and university websites tell Pie that interviewers at universities look for students with good communication skills.

Yes mine were terrible to nonexistent.

Interviews are communication so some skill helps them go better. I would imagine the importance would vary depending on the job being interviewed for but the ability to communicate with the interviewer does help. There are other elements of importance also.

It is in no way a lost cause with poor communication skills, it just could be a little more of a struggle and could mean that some jobs wouldn't be ideal if they were largely communicating.

yes. I had to talk in front of around 300 people a few weeks ago and, I can tell you, it wasn't pretty. Lets just say, everyone at uni now thinks i'm a tad weirder than before :(

OH GOSH. I was awful in university, i would avoid anything that required me to talk, even when I had to choose my history modules, if one required me do I presentation i would pick a different module even if i disliked the subject. Also if we were required to do any group work I wouldn't go in and pretend i was ill. I got into a LOT of trouble for doing it. It is only recently since i left university and went into work that i have confidence to talk a little in public.

I did social Policy & Criminology at uni some yrs ago now...and believe me some of my lecturers were not great public speakers...some also had poor communication skills on a 1 - 1 level...some were eccentric....some were cool...some I liked...some I hated...

In short Pie...they are just like us...flawed but human...at interview good communication skills might help you to sell yourself but overall they are looking for ppl with the academic ability to learn, grow & develop...they do appreciate how difficulty something like that is...

Methinks you worry too much. Stay cool (as in calm and collected) and you'll be fine! :). College isnt as scary as you think!

Latest posts

Back