Upcoming work awkwardness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
So today was our teacher work day at school. And it went very well at first, we had a great meeting, did some team building things, and had awesome food. We had to clean up our classrooms for the summer as well.

I went into my shop to start putting things away in there, and I looked up in my storage (which I call the "crow's nest" because you have to go up these steep stairs to get to it.) from the main part of my shop. I noticed that my electricity trainer was gone.

Now I just started this program this year, so I don't really have a whole lot of teaching aids for my classroom. We built this little wall and then put electric boxes on so the kids could practice wiring switches and outlets. If you were to buy one of these they would cost about $400, but we saved money by just building it ourselves.

Anyways, I went up to my crows nest to find that my trainer was completely destroyed. The boards were ripped about, the copper in the wire was stripped, and the outlets were smashed. I literally wanted to cry, still do actually. I really do work hard for my students, and to see something that I need for next year completely gone is very disheartening.

So, the awkwardness. I am not a confrontation person, but I went to the Industrial Tech teacher, and asked if she knew what happened to my trainer. She said she had 2 kids playing around in MY STORAGE AREA and she had know idea what they were doing up there. Well, they were up there destroying my stuff.

I was so mad. I don't understand why you would let students do that! I went to my department head for advice and she said to go to the principal. When I showed him what was left of my trainer, he was very displeased. He said, that would have made a great teaching tool. And he was going to chew her out for being neglectful with her students.

Now this particular teachers personality is rather hateful. For example, she broke a few welding machines, so the welding career instructor complained about this and she got into trouble. She spreads awful rumors about him now and because of that drama, she is not allowed to teach welding anymore. I have a class that requires me to weld, and I found he is a really nice guy. And he is even going to donate wire and rods to my class every year so I don't have to buy any from my budget (which is a big deal in teaching!).

I am so afraid not after she gets into trouble with this situation I am going to be the next person she hates and spreads rumors about. I mean she is losing allies in our department very quickly, but I don't want confrontation. I feel bad for "telling" on her, but I don't want my stuff broken and destroyed. Especially when I have very little to start with. But how am I going to deal with this person?

Thanks for reading, I am really sorry this is so long, I needed to get this off of my chest.

Hi Nicolelt.

It sounds like this teacher is an all around problem and creates a very unpleasant environment for the teachers around her. It's so hard to work with someone that takes that type of attitude in the workplace. If she is starting to become known for her rumor spreading once someone defies her, then I don't think you should overly worry about that. Obviously she has no merit when it comes to being a believable person. Also, you did the right thing. She needs to be held accountable for her actions, including her actions of neglect. The only good advice I can give you is to never look down. Hold your head up high, and walk with confidence and purpose. Know that you did the right thing, and she can't take dignity from you just because she is pissed off.

Good luck with the situation. I hope she spends the summer cooling off and growing up a little.

^ I agree, given the nature of the person people will either know, or will soon discover her true colours so try not to worry too much about it.

She is responsible (or irresponsible in this case) for her actions so don't feel bad for having to explain the situation.

RockerChick said:
Hi Nicolelt.

It sounds like this teacher is an all around problem and creates a very unpleasant environment for the teachers around her. It's so hard to work with someone that takes that type of attitude in the workplace. If she is starting to become known for her rumor spreading once someone defies her, then I don't think you should overly worry about that. Obviously she has no merit when it comes to being a believable person. Also, you did the right thing. She needs to be held accountable for her actions, including her actions of neglect. The only good advice I can give you is to never look down. Hold your head up high, and walk with confidence and purpose. Know that you did the right thing, and she can't take dignity from you just because she is pissed off.

Good luck with the situation. I hope she spends the summer cooling off and growing up a little.

I agree with this, completely.
Wishing the best for you.

Thanks guys. She just holds a grudge so long with people too. She still hates the welding teacher, and the department head (who just gives her constructive criticism.)

My department head actually said she has her fingers crossed that she gets another job, because she is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

We will see. I am gonna work on school stuff through out the summer, and I know she won't be around for that. She is one of those teachers that leaves right at 3, she is out the door before the kids.

My advice probably isn't very helpful, or anything you haven't heard before, but I would advise that you begin acclimating yourself to confrontation. This isn't to say seek it out, but rather accept that it's just a part of living how you want to live. I'm sure there are "how-to" guides out there on steps you can take to become more assertive, or at least give people the impression that you feel assertive. I understand that you might feel uncomfortable around this other teacher now, and that is a price for confrontation, but maybe ask yourself what's more important to you: approval or control?

I believe you were already being partly assertive in that you did talk to people to find out what happened to your trainer. As hard as it is to ignore the hateful teacher part, the real question should be what you really want to do in such a situation, when it happens again, which it will. It sounds like you would've preffered to just tell this lovely teacher what you thought of her action, but didn't. Maybe that's something to work on?

Latest posts

Back