Valentines day

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff

Reaction score
Ive noticed the shops are getting their 'Valentines Day' displays ready already. They make a big thing out of it in the UK, all these hearts and crap in the windows of most shops.

I really do hate it !

Ive had 2 cards in my life. One when I was 15 which was a piss take from my Mam. The second was in 1998 when I was 29. I remember feeling really happy when I got it, thinking somebody actually liked me. Of course it proved too good to be true. I won't go into it but the card caused me alot of upset and problems for the next couple of years. The trouble was I tried to find out who sent the ******* thing which proved to be a big mistake !

Anyway I never did find out who sent it and all I can think it was another 'piss take' by some clever ******* who had too much time on their hands.

Ive always said to myself if I ever got another one I would burn it or rip it to pieces. Ive never got another one again though !

Anybody got any valentines day stories ?

I got plenty of Valentines stories.
This one time, on valentines day, I woke up right? So I went downstairs to get some breakfast, then afterwards I went back up to my room and started my computer.
About 16 hours later I turned it off, took a piss, and went back to bed.
It was a good Valentines Day.

I really do hate it !

Haha, that's quite funny.

I'm not that keen on it myself, yes I'm from the UK and you're right, it is a big deal here (for some reason), I'm not all negative about it, if I'm with a girl it's nice to make a bit of a deal of it an spoil her a bit, but I only really do it because it makes her happy.

But I remember when I was younger in college, me and my friend were always competitive. I remember one year we both had girlfriends (that happened to be mates) and it was Valentines Day, he bought some card for his gf so then I bought a bigger one, he went back into town and bought a bigger one and we both ended up walking out the shops with the biggest Valentines cards haha, it was hilarious thinking back now; they were like 3 foot, bright red with massive bears on the front!

When I was a child my Father would come home from work every Valentines Day with a huge heart shaped box full of chocolates for my Mom, and smaller heart shaped candy box for each of us children. :)

I remember when my son was young, when he was filling out his valenties to his friends, he would fill me one out too. We end up putting the valentine on the fridge. He did this for years. Sweet memories :)

i dont sweat V Day too much. I like reading/ watching about organized crime so I like to watch shows about Al Capone and the V Day Massace every year on February 14 :)

Can't really say I hate valentines...
It's just that I've never gotten to experience any of it except for the valentine events in MMOs... Ok I hate it a little bit!

I know its corny but I would still be in favor of celebrating it if I had a special someone :)

I never have anyone to celebrate it with but I like to get small things and write notes to give to friends. I didn't start doing this until one year a friend mailed some chocolate and a note to me and it really made my week. I wasn't expecting it. So now I like to do that for other people.

kamya said:
I never have anyone to celebrate it with but I like to get small things and write notes to give to friends. I didn't start doing this until one year a friend mailed some chocolate and a note to me and it really made my week. I wasn't expecting it. So now I like to do that for other people.

Thats a wonderful idea Kamya! I'm going to do this with my colleagues this year. Thanks you! :D

kamya said:

I like this idea too. It might be awkward to send to some of the guys, though.

Never liked this day , the songs i had to forcibly hear on radio stations while in some bus or cab , the honeysuckle associated with it and the god **** memories of my first ever valentine day with ex.It all just makes me vomit with disgust.I didnot know that she was not truthful and was rather playing games and rather was like almost every other girl.
As years went by , i have less pain though , and i dont have either hatred or love for this day.It has only got a fading trail of memories now.

Lilianna said:
When I was a child my Father would come home from work every Valentines Day with a huge heart shaped box full of chocolates for my Mom, and smaller heart shaped candy box for each of us children. :)

that's nice

Valentines day is an invention of the florists and the postcard industry. And that does not touch me very much, since I'm neither a florist nor a postcard printer.
Anyway, I'm really impressed by sigma's bladder. 16 hours! Whow!

quintus said:
Valentines day is an invention of the florists and the postcard industry. And that does not touch me very much, since I'm neither a florist nor a postcard printer.

Years of training

quintus said:

No, in the UK, the big supermarkets put up huge displays selling all sorts. They try to get as much money as possible out of it. It's a bit like Halloween. Honestly, everything you can think of is sold, cards, hearts, flowers, chocolates, all sorts of crap. It's big business and an event. And of course all the people (or should I say sheep) buy all this crap.

I see the point, of course: mother's day, father's day, granny's day, second cousin's day, lousy day....

This will be year two with no Valentine.
Maybe I can find someone here on the forum to creep...err...I mean exchange Valentines with. :p lol

I used to hate it as much as you Duff, But I simply switch off to it now. Its not about love. It is and always will be about 'money and profit' for businesses. A material day for material gain. 'Real love' is celebrated 24 hrs, 12 months and 365 days a year.

Latest posts

Back