Want to be a whole new person

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste_lla

Reaction score
I don't know how many times I thought about this, but ultimately I have the urge to just move away and become a completely different person. A place where no one knows me, where I won't have any pressure whatsoever. Maybe there, I can overcome my social problems (shyness?).

I mean, I tried doing that by going off to college far from home, but I eneded up in the same hole. I did nothing to change my ways. It was kinda scary to see that even the friends I made there resembled my friends from high school so much.

Anyway, I don't know what to do with my life right now, I don't know if I can feel more lost or alone. I don't even want to go back to college. I don't know if running away will help, but it sure sounds like a plan to me.

Ste_lla said:
I don't know how many times I thought about this, but ultimately I have the urge to just move away and become a completely different person. A place where no one knows me, where I won't have any pressure whatsoever. Maybe there, I can overcome my social problems (shyness?).

I mean, I tried doing that by going off to college far from home, but I eneded up in the same hole. I did nothing to change my ways. It was kinda scary to see that even the friends I made there resembled my friends from high school so much.

Anyway, I don't know what to do with my life right now, I don't know if I can feel more lost or alone. I don't even want to go back to college. I don't know if running away will help, but it sure sounds like a plan to me.

Running away somewhere new ultimately won't help shyness, it's something you have to learn overcome here, especially the fact that you've tried it by attending a college far away. But the thought of moving somewhere new and starting fresh is something I'd love to do, although in my case it has nothing to do with shyness.

I think you need some time to work out what you want to do with your life, but whatever it is I wouldn't plan it around your shyness, that's something I'd want to tackle before you ARE.

You need to deal with your social issues first. If you move now you run the risk of becoming even more isolated than you are now. If you still want to move once you've got more confidence in yourself then do it.
I spontaneously moved half way across the country and it has been a great experience, I plan to move again a few more times before I settle.

moving places is great if it goes together with a real commitment to change, otherwise it is just the same baggage that is carried around everywhere - did you consider the support of a therapist or some kind of group? Because sometimes changing ways is really difficult, and it's good to have someone for encouragement or who to report to.

9006 said:
Running away somewhere new ultimately won't help shyness, it's something you have to learn overcome here, especially the fact that you've tried it by attending a college far away. But the thought of moving somewhere new and starting fresh is something I'd love to do, although in my case it has nothing to do with shyness.

I think you need some time to work out what you want to do with your life, but whatever it is I wouldn't plan it around your shyness, that's something I'd want to tackle before you ARE.

Well it's not entirely about myshyness, I'm just tired of this life. I feel like the people around me just makes things worst. Like my family. I love my mom, my sister and brother but to be honest, they are pretty messed up too. So sometimes I feel like they are contributing the pain.

But you are right, I know deep down that just moving away would not solve everything.

Peaches said:
moving places is great if it goes together with a real commitment to change, otherwise it is just the same baggage that is carried around everywhere - did you consider the support of a therapist or some kind of group? Because sometimes changing ways is really difficult, and it's good to have someone for encouragement or who to report to.

I have considered it, but I don't even know where to look for therapy or groups.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be a whole new person. I actually like my gloomy and depressing self, but I would love to be better with people. With the exception of my family, I'm mostly uncomfortable around people and the ones I do speak with, I keep at arm's length (I'm talking long arms here). Sure, there are reasons why I do that, but it would still be nice not to be afraid of most people.

I think I would rock! :p

Baka said:
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be a whole new person. I actually like my gloomy and depressing self, but I would love to be better with people. With the exception of my family, I'm mostly uncomfortable around people and the ones I do speak with, I keep at arm's length (I'm talking long arms here). Sure, there are reasons why I do that, but it would still be nice not to be afraid of most people.

I think I would rock! :p

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Moving doesn't help imo. I also moved far away when I went to University. It worked at first, but my personality eventually won out. I guess there's no changing who you truly are inside.

Baka said:
Oh yes, I almost forgot. Moving doesn't help imo. I also moved far away when I went to University. It worked at first, but my personality eventually won out. I guess there's no changing who you truly are inside.

Yeah same here, at first it was all right but then I ended up isolating myself, I just couldn't make friends.

did you still kept going away to University? because honestly I don't feel like going back since, well, nothing changes.... except that I'm accumulating debt.

Ste_lla said:
Baka said:

Yeah same here, at first it was all right but then I ended up isolating myself, I just couldn't make friends.

did you still kept going away to University? because honestly I don't feel like going back since, well, nothing changes.... except that I'm accumulating debt.

I finished 2 years ago and I'm still living and working in the same city. It's gotten even worse since I started working. When I get home, I just feel like doing nothing and opportunities for socializing are non-existent. I also don't work with anyone of a similar age, so there are no real friends to be made there.

The debt sucks, but maybe you'll make good money in order to pay it off? Jeez, life as we are forced to live it really is a load of bull. You spend the majority of your life preparing for and doing a job you probably hate, in order to make enough money to buy stuff you don't really need/want. What's left is very little time to find a few people that you might like and to just spend time with them and enjoy yourself.

Ste_lla said:
I don't know how many times I thought about this, but ultimately I have the urge to just move away and become a completely different person. A place where no one knows me, where I won't have any pressure whatsoever.

I think about doing that all the time, just for a fresh start I would do anything.

Baka said:
I finished 2 years ago and I'm still living and working in the same city. It's gotten even worse since I started working. When I get home, I just feel like doing nothing and opportunities for socializing are non-existent. I also don't work with anyone of a similar age, so there are no real friends to be made there.

The debt sucks, but maybe you'll make good money in order to pay it off? Jeez, life as we are forced to live it really is a load of bull. You spend the majority of your life preparing for and doing a job you probably hate, in order to make enough money to buy stuff you don't really need/want. What's left is very little time to find a few people that you might like and to just spend time with them and enjoy yourself.

Yeah it sucks. Especially if you don't know what the hell you want to do with your life.

And it doesn't help when you feel so lonely and anti-social. I just don't want to add more burdens to my life and those loans are sure a heavy one.

JCA550 said:
Ste_lla said:
I don't know how many times I thought about this, but ultimately I have the urge to just move away and become a completely different person. A place where no one knows me, where I won't have any pressure whatsoever.

I think about doing that all the time, just for a fresh start I would do anything.

I get you, we all dream to start anew somehow

Latest posts

Back