What are you doing right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate writer's block too.

What are some things you do, to try to punch through it?
#1 thing - if the story just isn't coming, I walk away. Maybe for a few minutes, a few hours, the whole day - there’s nothing worse than sitting at my computer and staring at a blinking cursor. I often find if I give myself time to let the story sit in my brain and percolate a bit, mull it over, the way will become clear. There's a fine line though - sometimes the best thing to do is to force myself to write, even if I’m not overly happy with results, and often I will get into a ‘writing’ frame of mind. Just depends on the day. Over the years, I’ve learned to recognize whether I need to push through or abandon.

#2 - Pick your times to write. I’m not a morning person, so I rarely do any substantial work at that time. My optimal time to write is from around noon/1ish to about 5 or 6 p.m. I also seem to be more productive towards the latter end of the week - Wednesday on (assuming a M-F work week). My co-worker is the complete opposite, she writes early mornings and is totally burnt out by the end of the week. Everyone’s different.

I usually write to loud music on my headphones, but there’s time where I need to take them off in order to concentrate. I also need to have the ‘right’ music to write to, which very much depends on my mood for the day.

#1 thing - if the story just isn't coming, I walk away. Maybe for a few minutes, a few hours, the whole day - there’s nothing worse than sitting at my computer and staring at a blinking cursor. I often find if I give myself time to let the story sit in my brain and percolate a bit, mull it over, the way will become clear. There's a fine line though - sometimes the best thing to do is to force myself to write, even if I’m not overly happy with results, and often I will get into a ‘writing’ frame of mind. Just depends on the day. Over the years, I’ve learned to recognize whether I need to push through or abandon.

#2 - Pick your times to write. I’m not a morning person, so I rarely do any substantial work at that time. My optimal time to write is from around noon/1ish to about 5 or 6 p.m. I also seem to be more productive towards the latter end of the week - Wednesday on (assuming a M-F work week). My co-worker is the complete opposite, she writes early mornings and is totally burnt out by the end of the week. Everyone’s different.

I usually write to loud music on my headphones, but there’s time where I need to take them off in order to concentrate. I also need to have the ‘right’ music to write to, which very much depends on my mood for the day.
I write in complete silence. Near darkness. I go so far as to hide everything on the computer screen except my editor. I set the editor to be about the size of a printed page in a field of black. I usually read some or all of my previous work, editing as I go, and hoping it will slingshot me into a new paragraph.

The mood you set not only inspires your creativity, it guides.

Trying to remember all the thoughts I came up with on my walk I just got back from 🚶‍♂️

Also I love how when you type in "walk" in the Smilies search bar, you get:
- Man walking
- Woman walking
- Zombies

Ive been rubbing my feet on my dogs back but someone must've pulled up outside because he perked up and took off toward the door......yep, let the games begin.

Latest posts

Back