What are you feeling, hoping, thinking, or remembering right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeling - great, looking forward to my week off
Hoping - for some nice weather next week
Thinking - thank god for that !
Remembering - my last holiday in October, felt a bit down, glad I am not like that now !

The way that random moments make me sad... It's painful as hell, but I also kinda love it.

kamya said:
I'm not trying to be mean or bully or anything but your last sentence kind of makes me think you are just looking for an easy way to get through life....Things suck at first but if you are as smart as you say you are, you won't be making crap money for too long.

It's not that I'm looking for an easy way to get through life necessarily - it's more like I'm looking for something that's going to take me in the direction I want to go, or is at least going to take me closer to some other thing that will take me where I want to go. The reason I am where I am today is because I believed a lot of things about life and myself that I would never believe today, but which have resulted in a life that is less than I desire.

I turned down opportunities to take the advanced classes in high school, and rub elbows with the smart people, because I didn't want homework. Fine as a kid when everything is paid for you, but not fine as an adult where you have to pay to play.

I found this blog my Freshman year of college about some guy who claimed that we'd run out of oil by 2020 or something like that and civilization as we know it would collapse (as if no one would care or even try to solve that problem). Almost anyone would have dismissed this guy as a nutbar but at the time I actually believed it. So much that it killed my motivation.

I majored in business administration instead of something I was interested in because I believed I was "just one of those average people" with no talents and also could not improve no matter how much I tried. I never considered nurturing any passions until lately, and instead majored in something that I thought would be boring but comfortable, because that's all life can be for most people. Wrong on all 3 counts.

I also believed that there were 2 types of people, people that got what they want (rich, creative, intelligent, strong, handsome/beautiful, etc) and people who have to settle (everyone else, the masses) and that the difference was genetic, not created by one's choices. Guess which category I thought I was in. Wrong again.

Now I don't believe any of that crap anymore. I am not necessarily looking for an easy way to get through life, but rather, I'm looking for something that can get me back on track to doing well.

And I don't mean to say that I think I am the next Einstein, but I do know that I'm not one of those people that think a good time is when they can smoke weed and eat doritos, listen to autotune hiphop and think it's cool to admit that they don't read, or the cringe-inducing "lol books are gay". :club: I get what you mean though.

TheSkaFish said:
Yea, I mean I do admit that I have been afforded some good opportunities like you said. I've got my bachelor's, am not in debt, have a car (however I haven't been able to drive in a while, no money) and live at home. I'm still definitely not rich though, nor do I come from a rich background either. I probably could have done a better job in college were I not convinced at the time that civilization was going to end (no joke), therefore hard work would not pay off.

It's not that I think that I am "better" than people who work those jobs. I don't think a person is inherently "better" or "worse" for no reason. What I do think is something more like this: when I think of minimum wage jobs, I usually think of high school kids. It's their first job, their first lesson in what it means to work, to have responsibilities, to do basic tasks, to learn the value of money, etc. It's really not all that bad for them at that stage in life because most high school kids live at home rent-free. They have very little expenses, in most cases. So maybe it gives them a little extra money for gas, food, movies, hobbies, whatever the case may be. And most of their peers aren't earning that much more so it's not really something to feel bad about. Now me on the other hand, I don't feel like I am "better" than a high school kid. But I do know I am older. I've lived longer so I'm more mature because I've had more experience being alive. I just feel that I've been there and done that and now it's time for me to do something else. When I was lifting boxes all day at UPS, I just knew that there was something more I could/should be able to do with my life. Also, it's a lot more expensive for a person like me to exist than it is for a high school kid. I'm talking bare necessities here.

Your thinking (and what people have told you - likely your parents) needs to catch up with what's actually been going on in the US for the past few years, Ska. This is not an insult - I'm just pointing out what it seems you're just now noticing.

TheSkaFish said:
Sometimes I get so frustrated because all my life I've been told that I was smart, yet I can't seem to think of any good way to make money. It really bothers me. It's made me into an angry person.

Yes...many have drummed this into their children's heads and in years past, it was pretty accurate information.
The whole, go to school, get a good education, be smart, etc was (in the past) the typical way that people obtained good paying jobs and the means to afford what they needed and/or wanted in life.
I imagine it really does SUCK to have been instilled with that mentality all your life and then once you get out of school, reality kicks you in the ass and you discover that, while you were hard at work writing papers, studying, etc, that the world had changed around you. What was possible to obtain from a good education had changed.
Now..Im going to touch on something briefly here, and don't want to say anything more on it, and hope you won't either (especially now that the other thread has calmed down). In response to the baby boomer thoughts..
Im almost the same age as WWC so we grew up around the same time (though he's not in the US).
Let me impart a little info that might help you to reevaluate your opinions on a few things.
When I was a child - this would be birth to age 16 - I barely had clothes to wear and often didn't have much food to eat. I had NOTHING. As life went on, I still had NOTHING. I didn't go to movies, I didn't go out to eat, I didn't buy things for pleasure. My parents grew or bought what food they could and what used clothes they could afford - food always came first, so as you might imagine, I didn't dress very well.
When I was 13, I got a part time job waiting tables at a fish camp. Yes, it was illegal, but it was free labor so the owners didn't mind working a 13 year old. I gave the money to my mother (because my dad had ditched by then) to help provide food and shelter for myself and my sisters. I wasn't able to spend a DIME of my own money until I was nearly 17 years old. By that time, I was working 2 part time (minimum wage) jobs so I was able to have a few dollars of my own, that didn't go to food and shelter. Even then, I didn't buy simple things that most people take for granted. I bought clothes and shoes - and not expensive ones either.
I didn't have the opportunity to go from high school directly to college. Though I have completed a number of college courses, I worked at least two jobs until I was almost in my 30s. I worked hard and managed to obtain positions that improved my compensation, job status and skill set.
Fast forward to today...with a marriage that tanked over 3 years ago and a shitty economy, I have to be very careful with the money I make (I also have a child). I don't make nearly the money I need/want to and I WISH I could make more.
My entire point of tossing out my miserable childhood here (and it's NOT something I like to share) is in hopes that you will see that your idea of what people used to live like (people near my age) is often incorrect.
Im not saying you don't have the right to feel upset that all those years you spent working on your education seem to not be worth much these days...Im simply asking that you don't assign BLAME to anyone, much less those of us who literally suffered in our younger years.
I hope this gives you a bit of food for thought.

Now that I've added my two cents, I'd ask that no one make anything less than a civil reply to me, or anyone else involved in the discussion. Thank you in advance. :)

EveWasFramed said:
Now that I've added my two cents, I'd ask that no one make anything less than a civil reply to me, or anyone else involved in the discussion. Thank you in advance. :)

I didn't read any of it but the last sentence. TL;DR :club:

(It's civil for ME :p )

Lmao, I mean in a BAD way, Ska :p
Please do feel free to reply to me. I encourage you even. :D

TheRealCallie said:
EveWasFramed said:

I didn't read any of it but the last sentence. TL;DR :club:

(It's civil for ME :p )

(goo)

:club:

Eve, I just meant to say that when I step back to look at things logically, then I know that of course not every person in the Baby Boom was a surfing, musclecar-driving, pot-smoking hippie that just coasted and partied their way through the last 50 years without breaking a sweat. I know it couldn't have been everybody.

But when I was mad I wasn't thinking logically. I know that the world is what it is, but I do still feel deeply betrayed by it. And some of those things WWC said ignited those feelings of betrayal to full-on fury.

Anyway. Sorry to hear about your experiences. I don't think I could have made it through them myself.

TheRealCallie said:
I'm remembering when I was still a kid and I would go over to a friends house and her brother would always throw me in the pool...with all my clothes on, even shoes. I miss him....

Come to the lake Callie, I'm sure we can arrange for a recreation of those happy moments :D

"Maybe time is everything."

Nice. Mentally adding this to my "enigmatic phrases"-list.

WildernessWildChild said:
TheRealCallie said:
I'm remembering when I was still a kid and I would go over to a friends house and her brother would always throw me in the pool...with all my clothes on, even shoes. I miss him....

Come to the lake Callie, I'm sure we can arrange for a recreation of those happy moments :D

And after you throw me in (I'm not even going to try to say you couldn't), I assume you will start running? Very, very fast. Not that it will help you, of course :D

TheRealCallie said:
TheRealCallie said:

And after you throw me in (I'm not even going to try to say you couldn't), I assume you will start running? Very, very fast. Not that it will help you, of course :D

My bolthole is prepared:D

TheRealCallie said:
TheRealCallie said:

My bolthole is prepared:D

I TOTALLY didn't read that as "bolt" hole.
Must be all that boot action you've been getting.

Latest posts

Back