What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just really missing my motorbike...it's like seeing a friend,distracts from depression and cheers me up.

Why is it that people ask MEN to get something they can't reach at a store and not women? I'm about an inch taller than my son, yet the woman in the grocery asked me if she could borrow my son to get something she couldn't reach. Why not just ask me to do it....why does it HAVE to be a man? Is a man more capable of getting some **** yogurt off the top shelf than a woman is?

TheRealCallie said:
Why is it that people ask MEN to get something they can't reach at a store and not women?  I'm about an inch taller than my son, yet the woman in the grocery asked me if she could borrow my son to get something she couldn't reach.  Why not just ask me to do it....why does it HAVE to be a man?  Is a man more capable of getting some **** yogurt off the top shelf than a woman is?

Maybe she didn't want to other you to much, thought he's just be in the way to you anyway

MisterLonely said:
TheRealCallie said:
Why is it that people ask MEN to get something they can't reach at a store and not women?  I'm about an inch taller than my son, yet the woman in the grocery asked me if she could borrow my son to get something she couldn't reach.  Why not just ask me to do it....why does it HAVE to be a man?  Is a man more capable of getting some **** yogurt off the top shelf than a woman is?

Maybe she didn't want to other you to much, thought he's just be in the way to you anyway

Or perhaps she perceived him more as a utility, a young guy and all.

TheRealCallie said:

Alternatively she saw your son as thing-like who should do the deed for her. Contrary to all the hysteria in this vulgar modern world we live, gender stereotypes aren't that much of a negative. They only become so when they are used maliciously or when they are used for referral to prevent people from branching into other realms, therefore acting as a barrier.

TheRealCallie said:

Yes I get this alot when in the supermarket.My wife is just an inch shorter but it's always me that ladies ask to reach the unreachable .Tends to be the older ladies though maybe it's the expected thing for them that the man is expected to do the more physical tasks .....Just saying :club: or maybe the ladies enjoy the sight of a nice young/older man stretching for the yogurt rather than another lady.It might also be this ladies only bit of social interaction during any given day,she maybe lonely and the little bit of time you gave her could have made her day. Had to laugh about this because it reminded me of the time my wife stretched finger tip like for a large jar of spaghetti sauce only for it too slow motion like slip out of her hands over her head ...we both did a runner sad I know ....

Joturbo said:
TheRealCallie said:

Yes I get this alot when in the supermarket.My wife is just an inch shorter  but it's always me that ladies ask to reach the unreachable .Tends to be the older ladies though maybe it's the expected thing for them that the man is expected to do the more physical tasks .....Just saying :club: or maybe the ladies enjoy the sight of a nice young/older man stretching for the yogurt rather than another lady.It might also be this ladies only bit of social interaction during any given day,she maybe lonely and the little bit of time you gave her could have made her day. Had to laugh about this because it reminded me of the time my wife stretched finger tip like for a large jar of spaghetti sauce only for it too slow motion like slip out of her hands over her head ...we both did a runner sad I know ....

You are a man. Men are utilities. This is why they ask you and not your wife. If you weren't there they likely STILL wouldn't ask your wife. They would go find another man to ask.

kamya said:
Joturbo said:
TheRealCallie said:

Yes I get this alot when in the supermarket.My wife is just an inch shorter  but it's always me that ladies ask to reach the unreachable .Tends to be the older ladies though maybe it's the expected thing for them that the man is expected to do the more physical tasks .....Just saying :club: or maybe the ladies enjoy the sight of a nice young/older man stretching for the yogurt rather than another lady.It might also be this ladies only bit of social interaction during any given day,she maybe lonely and the little bit of time you gave her could have made her day. Had to laugh about this because it reminded me of the time my wife stretched finger tip like for a large jar of spaghetti sauce only for it too slow motion like slip out of her hands over her head ...we both did a runner sad I know ....

You are a man. Men are utilities. This is why they ask you and not your wife. If you weren't there they likely STILL wouldn't ask your wife. They would go find another man to ask.

You could be right Kamya.But this may sound a bit daft, and I'm talking with my middle of the night woken by the dog again head on,but I think there's more to it than that.A lot of the time said ladies seem to want to chat,you can sense it's more than just reaching the can of whatever.But they make a big mistake with me cause I just want to get on with the shopping but my wife being very friendly (can talk for England) immediately butts in and I know I'm stuck in front of the soups or whatever for five minutes or more.

But in my line of work I meet alot of the older ladies and you just know that the little chat you have at the beginning of the job really brightens them up.Alot of the time they haven't spoken to anyone for days.On goes the radio with the 80's music,they start making you a brew chatting away and I feel how they go from talking about there ailments to chatting about there kids,grankids what they've bought for the garden e.t.c,gradually you can feel you've made their day just with that ten minute chat.

Now I asks my wife this and she said they usually just ask the tallest,but she was half asleep so idk because how can an inch difference be immediately apparent.

Also maybe we both appearing a bit male chauvinistic...which might not end well........

TheRealCallie said:

yes, yes we are ;) :cool:

"I'm such a fool for you,
What are you gonna do?!?"

Good lyrics. I find myself applying them more to life itself than any particular individual.

Jently said:
I'm so pleased to see a post from Richard_39, I was wondering if he was around.

:)
I've been off a while, might be off a while longer in the coming months, but things are looking up.

Richard_39 said:
Jently said:
I'm so pleased to see a post from Richard_39, I was wondering if he was around.

:)
I've been off a while, might be off a while longer in the coming months, but things are looking up.

👍

Imagine if there was a magic spark...

Latest posts

Back