What crucial skills do you need to live on your own?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimcham

Reaction score
Hi, new here and I have a question. I have never lived on my own and I would like to know what skills I will need to live on my own.

I recommend you stay on top of bills and watch your money because it's not cheap. not at all ha. If your like me and on your own don't go out the irst day and buy 300$ worth of food that can spoil quickly ha.

It would be recommended:

1. Making your own food
2. Basic handyman type skills. Which ones exactly depend on where you are living and if you have a car.
3. You'd probably want to be able to sew, though that's not strictly necessary.
4. Money management, of course.
5. And the important one would be I think research savvy, so you can do a net search or find another good source of information for anything you don't know how to do.

dependable income.
ability to do without.
ability to share.
friends.

most importantly. wanting to be alone. depending on your income, you may not be able to afford to go places with friends. many people who live alone, often bail and take a room mate with a friend. living alone, sucks.

h i said:
dependable income.
ability to do without.
ability to share.
friends.

most importantly. wanting to be alone. depending on your income, you may not be able to afford to go places with friends. many people who live alone, often bail and take a room mate with a friend. living alone, sucks.

Well, have a dependable enough income and you don't really need skills. :p

living alone aint too bad at all, you are the master of your abode, the king, the queen, you control your environment, oh yes.. the power! :)

when i first moved out i really wish i had've learned to cook some simple things. spaghetti bolognase with a ready made sauce was the first meal i did and ate a hell of a lot of it.. pasta, mince, sauce - nice and simple.

good luck :)

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
living alone aint too bad at all, you are the master of your abode, the king, the queen, you control your environment, oh yes.. the power! :)

when i first moved out i really wish i had've learned to cook some simple things. spaghetti bolognase with a ready made sauce was the first meal i did and ate a hell of a lot of it.. pasta, mince, sauce - nice and simple.

good luck :)

Oh delicious ready made sauce and pasta, how would I survive without you? Thanks guys, anything else?

I'd say probably the most important thing would be internet access

entertainment systems

things for your hobbies

and some stuffed animals

well for me those are things i need

basically things to hug and keep you busy

If you live alone it's not that hard to keep your living invironment
clean or pick up after yourself. Paying bills that's the basics....

Crucial skills?
The ablity to communicate with a chick in your living room while one knocking on your front door and another one on your cell phone,
without any of them wanting to kill ya.
Or all of them conspiring to cut ur balls off...

You know you've mastered it, when 2 of the chicks are in bed with ya and the third one is racing across town against heavy traffic to join the fun.lol

money management, reiterating what above posters have said.

I highly recommend using online banking. I check up on my account balances daily. It takes like two minutes to see where I'm at, and only a couple of more on payday to sock part of my check in to savings. Remember, PAY YOURSELF FIRST. Buying gets you something that usually deteriorates and loses value. Saving gives you more value, or at least a tool to do something more with than buy the newest retarded cell phone when you ALREADY HAVE ONE. But that's another thread entirely.

Don't be an idiot and buy things on impulse, and try not to sell one thing just to be able to get another. That's an awful habit and gets you nowhere.

Aside from that, it's good to be able to cook and you'll eventually learn how to fix little things. Cleaning is optional, as far as I'm concerned. :p

Latest posts

Back