What do I do?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ShybutHi

I am not a good looking guy at all. I am VERY shy and have social problems to some degree. Find it hard to communicate with people unless I know them well and people will pretty much never approach me. I used to be a hermit and almost like someone who was agoraphobic, would get very anxious in social situations almost to the point of panic attack. On that note I have had panic attacks before but managed to deal with it on my own terms and no longer get them.

In a way being such a hermit has helped with my trade which is being the guitarist in a band, means I have spent ALOT of time learning music and honing my instrument. (The band is with some close friends otherwise I would never be able to do it, it is almost like the opposite of my personality to play infront of people, especially solo's) It has helped alot with the anxiety and lack of confidence though which is good.

Thats my background anyway and I think that basically I have no chance with women at all because of my lack of experience in social situations. I am totally broken and unfixable. All of my friends are alot more outgoing than me so I am ALWAYS in the background too which does not help at all. Sometimes I will even have people talk about me right infront of me as if I am not there. I would not be surprised if some people think I am basically mute.

So for me when it comes to relationships it is partially confidence but mainly a lack of social experience. I probably seem like the most boring and uninterested person in the world to women. I do try to talk to people... I chat to taxi drivers and such and sometimes actually have good conversations. (apart from conversations with family and friends that is)

Part of the problem is that no one EVER approaches me and I feel that approaching people myself is a breach of their personal space. I suppose I also believe that no one would ever want me to talk to them probably because, like I said, no one has ever wanted to talk to me.

When it comes to relationships I simply do not know what to do. I feel that I am doomed to be alone all my life.

Anyone have any advice?

ShybutHi said:
I am not a good looking guy at all.

First of all, this is a lie :CLUB:

Second, just keep trying. Start off small and just talk to people until you're comfortable taking it a step further. Talk to girls, get to know them, ask them out for coffee or tea or whatever.

That is not a lie at all it is a fact. One problem with this forum is that people seem to try to give false optimism. Well that wont work with me because I only work with facts and it is a fact that I am an ugly person. I have many features that are unnatractive.

Anyway, yes you are right Callie I do have to start off small... I think the main problem is that I have been like it for such a long time that I simply do not know what to say and my mind will go blank.

It is almost like my mind shuts off to prevent me saying anything in case of making myself look like an idiot, but, in turn that probably makes me look like an idiot itself. It is not just a nervousness... It is beyond that point where it is part of my whole personality.

This is a serious problem and affects me basically every day of my life. If I can not identify with people then how am I supposed to ever find someone to be with.

Also, what is the point of life? I think the main point of life if there ever was one is to find someone who you can look after, love and hopefully be loved back. Now that, to some, might sound like a fairytale notion. But think about it... That is the only REAL reason to live in my opinion. Nothing else really matters.
I have no point if I am on my own. For me to have a point, there must be someone who wants me to be alive.

Well, i tracked down your pics, and i can honestly say you re not ugly, if i though you were i just wouldnt say anything... so there. I think its your lack of self esteem the main problem. People dont approche you probably because of the uncomfortable vibe you send out. You sound very self concious and insecure in a crowd.

Smile, acknowledge people by a look or a nod. Nothing miraculous , but if anyone would like to talk to you at least they will know you are accessible.

BTW, in my young days i was attracted to the cute, silent , mysterious guy...lol sounds like you, but hey your to young :(

ShybutHi said:
That is not a lie at all it is a fact. One problem with this forum is that people seem to try to give false optimism. Well that wont work with me because I only work with facts and it is a fact that I am an ugly person. I have many features that are unnatractive.

How many times have you talked to me? You should know me well enough to know that I don't do that false optimism bullshit. You're not ugly, Shy (hug)

whispers said:
Well, i tracked down your pics, and i can honestly say you re not ugly, if i though you were i just wouldnt say anything... so there. I think its your lack of self esteem the main problem. People dont approche you probably because of the uncomfortable vibe you send out. You sound very self concious and insecure in a crowd.

Smile, acknowledge people by a look or a nod. Nothing miraculous , but if anyone would like to talk to you at least they will know you are accessible.

BTW, in my young days i was attracted to the cute, silent , mysterious guy...lol sounds like you, but hey your to young :(

Well I am the epitome of the silent, mysterious and creative type of guy. The ammount of times I have been called "A" or even "The" dark horse by females or said to me by friends who have overheard girls say it, is rediculous. Is that even a good thing though?

Yes I think I should do that. I have actually been trying to greet people alot more with a smile and just generally try and come across like a happier more approachable person. Problem is I inherited an annoying trait from my mum which is that my neutral face is one that makes me look like im unhappy or a bit angry or something. lol, no joke.

You are right aswell I am an incredibly self concious person, too self concious. It rules my life to a large extent. It is a gift in some ways, and other ways it is a total setback. I am an incredibly observant person, I notice everything everyone does when in a social situation. Not really by choice as such, I just automatically take the information in.
I notice everything I do too, now that might sound wierd but what I mean is, I am concious about every single minute action I take all of the time and make an assumption of what it would be like from anothers point of view and how it would affect their perception of me.

It means my mind is automatically on observe mode which is why I lock up when talking to someone I dont know because it basically disturbs my mindset and im put in unfamiliar territory.

It is really hard to overcome. The only time I feel truly free of self concious thought is when I am playing music on guitar that gives me an emotional response in some way and lose myself in it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I should definatly try and smile more and probably, thinking about it, make more eye contact. (I am SOOOO terrible at that one!) Still I am a terrible conversationalist especially when it comes to women anyway.

I am still not sure about approaching women and what to say... because of being self concious (and the fact I am 90% of the time with friends when I am out) it is actually an odd thing for me to do if I did that. I NEVER approach women ever, not even just for small talk. Doing that is totally out of my comfort zone. lol

ShybutHi said:
When it comes to relationships I simply do not know what to do. I feel that I am doomed to be alone all my life.

Anyone have any advice?

Many of us have no idea what the hell to do either. Believe me, you're not the only one who feels that way or thinks that way, and that includes any potential partners you may have. You're only doomed if you put yourself in the situation to be. The only one who can hold you down is you. Might take 10, 100, 1000 people, but you'll come across someone who clicks right into your puzzle.

VanillaCreme said:
Many of us have no idea what the hell to do either. Believe me, you're not the only one who feels that way or thinks that way, and that includes any potential partners you may have. You're only doomed if you put yourself in the situation to be. The only one who can hold you down is you. Might take 10, 100, 1000 people, but you'll come across someone who clicks right into your puzzle.

What if I am too eccentric for anyone to click with me.

ShybutHi said:
VanillaCreme said:

What if I am too eccentric for anyone to click with me.

I find that highly unlikely. People really won't click with you if you don't even give anyone that chance. I'm sorry, but I think it's 100% you holding you down. No one else even has the amount of power to do that. If you shut people out, no one else can be blamed for that.

It is not really me holding myself back though thats the thing it is the norm for me not to be a social person and it is not like I intentionally shut people out either. The way I have grown up means being a quiet person who has problems socializing actually IS part of my personality unfortunatly.

There is no standard mindset for human beings as default. Everyone is different and I happen to be one of those very shy quiet people because of my past. You may very well say that there are alot of people like that but that is just generalizing... There are many factors and the mind of a human being is a complicated beast.

Nilla the advice you gave, if you can call it advice, is just downright condescending and insulting. I made the post to ask for advice to help me out not to just be told, in a nutshell.

"It is all your problem and your own fault"

That is basically what you just said to me which is actually a totally pointless thing to say. It does not help at all.

On that note I will take Callie and Whispers advice.

Nilla was'nt really insulting you man, some people need to be told that, and very powerfully too , I don't know if that is the case with you however. I used to have this problem but it was'nt as bad. People barely approach anyone you know :), when it comes to approaching people i think very few people are good at that and people hardly talk with people they don't know. I think just try and gradually increase confidence by tallking more with people you know but not that well, like maybe friends of friends or something, this social thing gets much better with practice I believe. Good luck man.

Women see shyness as a sign of crippling weakness and insecurity, and rightfully so. Why would a woman want to deal with a shy man when she can have a man who takes the lead? Not to mention shyness is generally seen as creepy. Serial killers and rapists, both in real life and in fiction, mimic the characteristics of shy men. Who would date a potential serial killer or rapist?

What you need to do is conquer your shyness. Sure, there is a small minority of women who like shy men. But there is a strong possibility that you will spend your entire life looking for one in vein. I advise against going that route. If you have health insurance, you might be able to see a psychologist and get anxiety pills. Otherwise, you'll have to conquer it on your own, and the only way to do that is practice. Maybe make it a goal to talk to one stranger per day.

I don't see how it's insulting, but sure. You have a problem with me, and have since I disagreed with you way back when. I could offer you lollipops and gumdrops, and I'd still be negative toward you. Good luck with whatever you do.

Oh and if being told that shyness is creepy isn't insulting to you, then I don't know what is. I completely disagree with what Okonkwo said above me. I personally don't mind shyness. What does get to me is the fact that some people don't want to make that decision in their life to change what isn't working for them. It's YOUR choice now. It doesn't matter what happened in the past. This isn't the past. You either make that choice or you continue to do what isn't working for you.

@Nilla
I dont hold a grudge at all for little debates we have had in the past Nilla I am too much of a sensible person to bother with drama and grudges. Can you not remember me trying to be friendly with you despite differences of opinion, I even had a private chat to try and clear things up but you threw it all back in my face.

Ofcourse being told shyness is creepy is not goign to insult me lol. It was a general opinion of that person and it was not even specifically directed at me.

Anyways going back to all this stuff ... Yeah you are right what is in the past is in the past. I have been trying to get better with all this and I have improved alot especially over the past year but it is taking a long time... Confidence has improved alot but I still really suck at communicating with others. lol

@beautifulsorrow

Thanks for the advice there. I think this probably is what I need to do yeah. Talking to alot more friends of friends would be helpful... I guess I should just force myself a little more to try and involve myself. It sounds so silly but because I am so used to being in the background, giving input to the conversation when there are multiple people present makes it feels like I am intruding but I guess I am not intruding really.
I dont think what Nilla said applies to me as such no because I have been trying with all this confidence and communication stuff for the last couple of years. I used to basically be scared to go out the house let alone go to a pub and HATED going to public areas especially in the daytime so it is a serious thing I am working on here... It is not just me whining. lol

To put it into perspective, now I can go out and not worry. Get pretty **** nervous before gigs though thats for sure!

btw Nice name :)

@Okonkwo

Funny really because men dont see shy women as serial killers..... lol
In all honesty I think it is all a load of bullcrap, it is just a stereotype in the end. Infact alot of the time the opposite is true and the dodgy morally ****ed up people who do that kind of stuff are social people who hang with bad crowds and have no empathy, literally, for other human beings.

I think the majority of women are more attracted to the outgoing type and I can understand that ofcourse. It is funny though because I find alot of the shyer types may be insecure when it comes to communication but they mostly seem to be alot more secure in comparison to the loud outgoing types in regards to their own opinions and abilities.

I got prescribed anxiety pills at one point a few years ago after getting some panic attacks but I refused to take them and dealt with it on my own instead.

Conquer the shyness indeed. I am trying! :p
It is just hard when you suck so much at communicating and dont know what to say or do. lol

ShybutHi said:
One problem with this forum is that people seem to try to give false optimism. Well that wont work with me because I only work with facts and it is a fact that I am an ugly person. I have many features that are unnatractive.

Maybe people don’t like to see others in pain and that’s why they give false optimism? You’re seeing it as a bad thing, when it potentially could be a way people are attempting in their own awkward way to alleviate your pain.

To me, false optimism is not reading what the person has written and giving a blanket statement instead of directly referring to what the person has written.

Also, what objective evidence do you have for this? How do you know it is your appearance, rather than your body language or the way that you make other people feel, rather than how you actually look physically?

I’ve had my psychologist tell me that I wouldn’t even look at her in the eyes until we got back to the counseling room and that I looked depressed. So this was something I worked on, looking into her eyes when she called my name in the waiting room.

ShybutHi said:
I simply do not know what to say and my mind will go blank.

It is almost like my mind shuts off to prevent me saying anything in case of making myself look like an idiot, but, in turn that probably makes me look like an idiot itself. It is not just a nervousness... It is beyond that point where it is part of my whole personality.

This sounds like a bit of social anxiety here. I’ve heard psychologists say, in response to this, that people don’t think about you as nearly as you think they do.

ShybutHi said:
If I can not identify with people then how am I supposed to ever find someone to be with.

Boy do I empathize with this statement here. I identify with people who I see that I view as being loners. I empathize with depressed people. I empathize with disabled people. Still, people manage to confuse the hell out of me and I find it hard to make a ton of friends. You aren’t alone in this Shy.

ShybutHi said:
Also, what is the point of life?

After being suicidal, I’ve decided that the point of life is not to think about the point of life and to just live it. Live your dreams, live, don’t think about why because if you do, you’ll get stuck on how nothing makes sense and you will drown in that.

Here’s the first stanza of a poem of mine:

Life is meant for living,
never standing still.
For even trees which grow as arrows
move the dirt below.

ShybutHi said:
I think the main point of life if there ever was one is to find someone who you can look after, love and hopefully be loved back.

I disagree, people are so fickle. The woman you fall in love with can leave you, your children can die, your family can disown you. The best bit of advice I can give you is to be well-rounded. Do not give too much of yourself to any one aspect of life, if you do, you will lose yourself or be destroyed emotionally if/when it gets taken from you.

Even your guitar playing, don’t invest too much into it because, what if you lose your hand in a freak accident one day? What will you do then?

Being well rounded to me, means if you lose one aspect of your life, you can use the other parts to fill in and not drown and get completely lost.

ShybutHi said:
I have had panic attacks before but managed to deal with it on my own terms and no longer get them.

This is great Shy. :)

ShybutHi said:
In a way being such a hermit has helped with my trade which is being the guitarist in a band, means I have spent ALOT of time learning music and honing my instrument. (The band is with some close friends otherwise I would never be able to do it, it is almost like the opposite of my personality to play infront of people, especially solo's) It has helped alot with the anxiety and lack of confidence though which is good.

Do you know how much I admire musicians? The countless hours they put into practicing? The hours upon hours trying to get your fingers to press the string against the backboard the right way, the effort put into learning chords, writing music, making sure yourhands are in the right position to hold the instrument, learning to strum in-time, read music, learn new songs and thus new patters over and over and over and over and over and over again.

That is ******* hard man and you do that. I’ve played 3 instruments in my life. Violin, Piano and acoustic guitar. I quit all of them. Why? Because I never practiced, I never was able to understand the purpose of practicing? Why practice? It’s dull.

I didn’t have the love of music in me, but you do. Cherish that please, many people can listen to music but it takes a special person to actually produce and be able to play music.

I’m preparing for an eye-roll from you after this statement I am about to make but here goes anyways:

You get a few points in girl’s eyes because we think it’s hot. It’s totally true, guitars raise your cuteness/hotness factor. Keep the guitar bro. If anything, that’ll bring you chicks.

ShybutHi said:
I have no chance with women at all because of my lack of experience in social situations.
See statement I made about guitars attracing chicks. (you just need to flaunt your guitar skills more, though it might be a bit difficult because of your social anxiety, but if there is any way possible, please lose yourself in the music and forget about the chicks. Let yourself shine when you play music, it’ll attract people.

ShybutHi said:
I am totally broken and unfixable.

I have had panic attacks before but managed to deal with it on my own terms and no longer get them

Hmm, not quite. :)

ShybutHi said:
All of my friends are alot more outgoing than me so I am ALWAYS in the background too which does not help at all. Sometimes I will even have people talk about me right infront of me as if I am not there. I would not be surprised if some people think I am basically mute.

I don’t know if you know this but you are actually talking to someone that is actually mute. I’ve constantly felt like I am in the background, so yeah, here’s some empathy floating your way.

I don’t’ think there is anything wrong with being an introvert. You are being yourself, it’s only when it causes you pain (like it does now) that it’s a problem.

I think that’s rude of them to talk in front of you. Who does that? I wouldn’t do that. ********.

ShybutHi said:
So for me when it comes to relationships it is partially confidence but mainly a lack of social experience. I probably seem like the most boring and uninterested person in the world to women. I do try to talk to people... I chat to taxi drivers and such and sometimes actually have good conversations. (apart from conversations with family and friends that is)

Give yourself the chance, to get the social experience you need and thus the confidence. Okay? Please? Give yourself a chance. Be kind to yourself and allow that for yourself.

ShybutHi said:
Part of the problem is that no one EVER approaches me and I feel that approaching people myself is a breach of their personal space. I suppose I also believe that no one would ever want me to talk to them probably because, like I said, no one has ever wanted to talk to me.

That’s how people are I think. They don’t approach other people. Talking to other people is like taking charge of your life in a way. You don’t’ allow other people to decide whether or not they will approach you, you approach them and open the channel yourself for your own sake. I do this all the time, it’s the only way to make friends, otherwise you’ll just find yourself sitting alone like you are now. Take the initiative, because of human nature, other people aren’t going to do that for you.

Also if you don’t’ give yourself that chance how do you know if you can find other people that want to talk to you? I didn’t think anyone wanted to talk to me either shy but now I have a friend at college because I reached out.

ShybutHi said:
When it comes to relationships I simply do not know what to do.
Join the club Shy, we have T shirts that say “I simply do not know what to do.” Emblazoned on the front of them. 12 dollars each.

I have one.

:p

ShybutHi said:
Well I am the epitome of the silent, mysterious and creative type of guy. The ammount of times I have been called "A" or even "The" dark horse by females or said to me by friends who have overheard girls say it, is rediculous. Is that even a good thing though?

Dark horse is a term used to describe a little-known person or thing that emerges to prominence, especially in a competition of some sort[1] or a contestant that seems unlikely to succeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_horse

Notice what I’ve underlined? Sounds like a good thing to me. Sounds like people are expecting you to come out of no where and steal the show. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, Shybuthi, One last thing. When I see a shy guy, I wonder what he is thinking. If I have no clue, I might think he is like someone on here from ALL, but if I was a person that didn’t have experience from ALL, I might be completely dumbfounded. To not speak is to not offer any sort of emotional or social information to go on. So people will make stuff up about who you must be if you don’t tell them!!!

So, yeah.

That’s what I have to say.

Be well Shy, I’ve always thought you were a great guy.

btw Nice name :)
thank you, you know i thought your name was some kind of chinese/japanese word but then looked at it properly haha
I guess I should just force myself a little more to try and involve myself. It sounds so silly but because I am so used to being in the background, giving input to the conversation when there are multiple people present makes it feels like I am intruding but I guess I am not intruding really.
You know I said I had this problem before but not as badly but thats just for school, I remember now that when it came to people outside I could hardly say a thing. Well more advice would be to not lose motivation if you're let down while trying to talk in a group or something, some people are much easier to talk to than others. You can tell from behaviour wether you can approach a person or not if you do approach people remember most people would like to approach others but are too scared to do so, so its like you're doing them a favour, many people are nice and fine y'know but some are very strange. All of them insane.

ShybutHi said:
I got prescribed anxiety pills at one point a few years ago after getting some panic attacks but I refused to take them and dealt with it on my own instead.

How the hell is that any different from what I said? What? Did I not tell you the same idea with other issues. You deal with things on your own, but I guess I'm just being negative when I say that... right? Christ me...

VanillaCreme said:
How the hell is that any different from what I said? What? Did I not tell you the same idea with other issues. You deal with things on your own, but I guess I'm just being negative when I say that... right? Christ me...

I don't know if i really find this comment to be supportive of ShyButHi.

I find it supportive, because he basically said the same thing I did. He just wants to call me insulting because he doesn't agree with what I say. He even quoted and replied to my first post, but as soon as I said something he doesn't like, then it's, "Oh, you're so negative and insulting."

No, you don't have to do what anyone suggests, but why even bother if you're just to claim someone's insulting you with their thoughts on the matter.

funny. The power of perspective y'know... :)

Latest posts

Back