"What do you do for a living?"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chair

Do you think that asking someone what they do for a living is a stupid?

I may be the minority here, but I think it's stupid because:

1. It's arbitrary as hell (asking someone what they do to earn their money is as random as asking someone how big their tits are)
2. You don't give a honeysuckle (do you really care where someone works? All you'll say is "ah" after the person tells you, and you'll start discussing other stuff)
3. If the person you ask is on disability/unemployment, you'll make them feel awkward and/or guilty for not working (why do most people assume that someone works? Lots of people don't have jobs, especially with this honeysuckle economy)

I don't find it strange to eventually ask someone where they work, but to ask it right off the bat is odd to me. If I was to form a strong close friendship with someone, I'd eventually ask them where they work - I'd be weird not to. But to ask a complete stranger this question is... strange.

Anonymouse said:
You just have to say something like 'I sell propane and propane accessories', and the person who asked you will probably you have no interest in answering them.

lol, reminds me of King of the Hill.

I hate the way it is phrased: "what do you do for a living?" as it means basically what do you get paid to do...which is pretty rude to ask.

I don't mind asking or being asked "so what do you do" as in on a day to day basis though, because that can be anything from work, to studying, to volunteering, to hobbies etc.

I think learning about what people do for work is interesting. I know it isn't the be all and end all of everything, their personality and how they are as a whole person means more. BUT someone works or doesn't work, studies or doesn't study for a REASON. That reason is either money, being interested in the subject, it motivates them, or because they are stuck there etc. Either way I am more interested in the reasons than I am the job. Peoples reasonings behind what they do with their lives says much more than what they are actually doing. Or so I think so anyhow.

:)

It's just one of those questions that are designed to tell you a little something about the other person so you can hopefully find something in common to chat about.
lol, I've heard it said that, in the North, it's "what do you do?" and the the South, it's "who do you know?" :p

Actually it can be a really good conversation starter. For people with jobs beyond fast food it can be a pretty defining factor of who they are.

There's two ways it can go:

1. You ask, and they have a common-place job (like fast food or retail) or are unemployed. From here you ask what kind of career they're aiming for, or what they did prior.

2. They have a more interesting job and you ask about it. Show interest.

Works pretty well to break the ice.

But, I like asking guys how big their moobs are. Very sexy.

I don't think it's stupid, but I see how someone would say it's a bit awkward for whatever reason. Like when people ask me, I don't work, so there's nothing else I can say but, "I don't work." Which then, a lot of people assume I'm a lazy bum, and don't do anything but watch TV.

Chair said:
Do you think that asking someone what they do for a living is a stupid?

I may be the minority here, but I think it's stupid because:

1. It's arbitrary as hell (asking someone what they do to earn their money is as random as asking someone how big their tits are)
2. You don't give a honeysuckle (do you really care where someone works? All you'll say is "ah" after the person tells you, and you'll start discussing other stuff)
3. If the person you ask is on disability/unemployment, you'll make them feel awkward and/or guilty for not working (why do most people assume that someone works? Lots of people don't have jobs, especially with this honeysuckle economy)

I don't find it strange to eventually ask someone where they work, but to ask it right off the bat is odd to me. If I was to form a strong close friendship with someone, I'd eventually ask them where they work - I'd be weird not to. But to ask a complete stranger this question is... strange.

Well many times people are just looking at networking, and seeing if meeting you can be beneficial to them.

Also human beings tend to judge a person by what they do and how much money they have...

Sometimes people dont really care they just making conversation.... think about it, what else are they going to ask. What did you eat?

Thats just my silly opinion.

VanillaCreme said:
But, I like asking guys how big their moobs are. Very sexy.

I don't think it's stupid, but I see how someone would say it's a bit awkward for whatever reason. Like when people ask me, I don't work, so there's nothing else I can say but, "I don't work." Which then, a lot of people assume I'm a lazy bum, and don't do anything but watch TV.

If thats the case when people ask you say that you are in the bread business.... When they say what do you mean.

Say you loaf around hehehehe:club:

I did that at a stage

Latest posts

Back