What songs do you listen to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik_757

Reaction score
It's weird when the songs you listen too some how relates to something that happened in your life ...

These are some songs that I listen too:

Alesana - Apology
Alesana - The Thespian
Alesana - The Artist
Apocalyptica - I Don't Care
Atreyu - Ex's and Oh's
Attack Attack! - I Swear I'll Change
Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
The Birthday Massacre - In the Dark
BoB - Airplanes
Breaking Benjamin - Crawl
Breaking Benjamin - Dance with the Devil
Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal
Bullet For My Valentine - Begging For Mercy
Bullet For My Valentine - Waking The Demon
Combichrist - Get Your Body Beat
Dead By April - Erased
Eyes Set to Kill - All You Ever Knew
Eyes Set to kill - Broken Frames
Eyes Set To Kill - Darling
Eyes Set to Kill - Liar In The Glass
Eyes Set to Kill - Only Holding On
Eyes set to kill - Young Blood Spills Tonight
Flyleaf - All Around Me
Flyleaf - Fully Alive
Goldfinger - Stalker
Good Charlotte - Victims of Love
Good with Grenades - Bruises and Bitemarks
Hollywood Undead - My Black Dahlia
Hoobastank - Out Of Control
Innerpartysystem - Structure
InnerPartySystem - Obsession
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
Lacuna Coil - Heavens A Lie
Linkin Park - New Divide
Paramore - Ignorance
Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most
Skillet - Hero
Skillet - Monster
Skilet - My Obsession
Skillet - Whispers in the dark
SlipKnot - Dead Memories
SR-71 - Tomorrow
The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die
Theory Of A Deadman - All Or Nothing
Thousand Foot Krutch - The Art Of Breaking
Thousand Foot Krutch - Move
Three Days Grace - Never too Late
UNSUN - Whispers
Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour
Within Temptation - What Have You Done
Versaemerge - Fixed at Zero
Zebrahead - the Walking Dead

That's a good one by Three Days Grace. It might sound odd, but I've never heard any of the other stuff :p

My most-listened-to bands are probably Tyr, Primordial, Weezer, and Jonathan Coulton, excluding the classical big-band jazz goodness of Benny Goodman.

Some good songs from a few...

Tyr is a progressive metal band, incorporating a musical sound that is clean, heavy, and melodic. The majority of their tunes are inspired by the Norse sagas and Norse paganism. They have been hailed as modern Skalds from time to time and are incredibly inspirational. Some good introductory tunes:

Gandkvaedi Trondar is a musical reading of a poem preaching resistance against the imposition of imperialistic faiths, and is epic and awesome. This is a common lullaby to sooth me to sleep when I otherwise cannot. It sets the tone for the album Land, which is rather ripe with uncertainty, reminiscence, and hope. If Gandkvaedi Trondar flips your switch or floats your boat, check out Lokka Tattur, a traditional Faroese ballad about Loki (a google search will let you get the gist of the tale). The beginning guitar in that song is just...Mmph. This song is pretty much my doomsday anthem, if the end comes in my lifetime. I will play it as I pick off zombies, or New World Order soldiers, or aliens or whatever is trying to eat/kill/imprison/touch me inappropriately at the time.

The Edge is a song detailing the thoughts of one of a group of criminals sentenced to death as he faces his fate and is mostly in english. Pretty epic.

Lord of Lies is part of the album Ragnarok, which is sort of a continuous narrative throughout the album and really should be listened to in order. Sort of like an opera. At any rate, the song explores themes of fate (or wyrd, if you prefer), and the escape of Loki as he leads the legions of the dead against the Aesir, and Ragnarok begins ("Three winter snows, fall in a row; Your bones will break for me").

Primordial is significantly darker and less direct with their lyrics. Their music is ripe with themes of revenge, despair, and anger...but not in the Westernized 'screamo' way. In complete honesty, this is the FIRST band that ever truly made me think about what I was listening to to figure it out and catch a message. They're from Ireland:

Heathen Tribes is an anthem of unity based on a common predicament (re: extinction) amongst the differing 'heathen tribes' that Christianity selected for conquest, yet failed to exterminate. Actually the lyrics are in my signature, heh. I love this song, and I tend to agree that we need to stand as one if our traditions and histories are to be carried in to the future for our kin.

As Rome Burns is a song about the slow, gradual loss of cultures and freedoms across the world. The song is set on the metaphorical backdrop of the Burning of Rome in 64CE, when the city went up in smoke as Emperor Nero placated the masses with music in the amphitheater. SOMEONE tell me that this is not a perfect metaphor for what is happening around us.

The Coffin Ships is another good song. Thick with a feeling of loss, the lyrics are about the famine of Ireland between 1845 and 1849 which caused a mass emigration of Irish to the United States (aboard 'Coffin Ships').

Jonathan Coulton is a great artist too, when I'm in the mood for fun, light-hearted stuff; yet at the same time, people such as ourselves -who lead possibly awkward youths, have lived plain lives and had bad luck with the opposite sex- can usually empathize and relate to a lot of the songs.

It's getting late, but you might check out:

The Future Soon
Code Monkey
Shop Vac
Big Bad World One
Ikea
Tom Cruise Crazy (hilarious)

I tend to listen to a lot of P!nk lately. Some of the ones I will listen to over and over are Who Knew, So What, Please Don't Leave Me, Don't Let Me Get Me, There You Go, Funhouse, Raise Your Glass and ******* Perfect.

Ha! I thinkmy brain just fell out Brian ... lol

And it's been awhile since I've heard that song Sean. Good song indeed!

Never listened to pink before ... hmmm ..

these songs more represent how i feel about life right now, not necessarily representing specific things that have happened to me.

metallica - the unforgiven III
metallica - nothing else matters
metallica - fade to black
40 below summer - falling down
fear factory - invisible wounds(dark bodies)
in flames - take this life
dream theater - pull me under
dream theater - panic attack
hed pe - the meadow

im sure there are plenty more but these are the ones that immediately come to mind without me having to scroll through my music to find songs.

Marik_757 said:
Ha! I thinkmy brain just fell out Brian ... lol

And it's been awhile since I've heard that song Sean. Good song indeed!

Never listened to pink before ... hmmm ..

Raise your glass.

We-ell, there's always this list to lift my mood:

- Civ4: Baba Yetu (good way to start a day)
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Stickerbrush Symphony
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Kannon's Klaim
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Forest Interlude
- FF7: Holding my Thoughts in my Heart
- FF7: Tifa's theme
- FF7: Aerith's Theme (Orchestrated)
- FF7: Costa Del Sol
- Pearl Kyoudai: Kyou wa Yuuhi Yarou
- Pearl Kyoudai: Kyuukei wa Ama Sugiru Kotoba
- Pearl Kyoudai: Owari wo Mitsumeru Shunkan
- DKC: Aquatic Ambiance
- The Seatbelts: Waltz for Zizi
- The Seatbelts: See You Space Cowboy...
- The Seatbelts: Wo Qui Non Coin
- The Seatbelts: Piano Bar
- The Seatbelts: Good Night Julia
- Ben Houge: Qintarra
- Ben Houge: Wilderness
- Michael Hoenig: Leaving Home
- Yasunori Mitsuda: Wind Scene
- Yasunori Mitsuda: At the Bottom of the Night
- Discworld Noir: Cafe Ankh
- Enya: Celtic Moon
- Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor: Exploration Theme
- Ishikawa Sayuri: Gondola no Uta (more poignant in Kurosawa's Ikiru)
- Icewind Dale: Easthaven
- Icewind Dale: Kuldahar
- Infernal Affairs- Goodbye Policeman
- Mark Bernes: Tyomnaja noch (A Dark Night)
- Mark Bernes: Zhuravli (The Cranes)
- Metal Gear Solid: Enclosure
- Graeme Norgate: NeoTokyo
- Planetes
- Monty Python: Always look on the bright side of life

A lot of soppy, sad music.

Lately...

A perfect Circle: Passive
Aqua: Back to the 80s
Aqua: Cartoon Heroes
Counting Crows: Colorblind
Disturbed: Forsaken
Elton John: Almost Famous
Goo Goo Dolls: Slide
Goo Goo Dolls: Black Balloon
Incubus: Are you in
Incubus: Wish you were here
Jack Johnson: Angel
Jack Johnson: Do you remember
Jack Johnson: Crying Shame
Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing
Kings of Leon: Be Somebody (instrumental)
Kings of Leon: Closer
Lenny Kravitz: Back in Vietnam
Marilyn Manson: Coma White
Marilyn Manson: The Nobodies
Metallica: Mama Said
Metallica: One
Metallica: Fade to Black
Metallica: The Unforgiven
No Doubt: Don't Speak
No Doubt: Just a girl
Oasis: Morning Glory
Oasis: Stop crying your heart out
Placebo: Every you, every me
Placebo: Where is my mind
RHCP: Scar Tissue
RHCP: Under the Bridge
RHCP: Zephyr Song
Rise Against: Give it All
Ten Years After: I'd Love to Change the World
The Presets: Are you the One?
The Presets: Talk like that
Varuca Salt: Seether
Varuca Salt: Aurora
Talking Heads: Psycho Killer
The Beatles: While my Guitar Gently Weeps
The Verve: Bittersweet Symphony
The Vines: 1969
The Vines: Get Free
The Vines: Ms Jackson
The White Stripes: The Hardest Button to Button
The White Stripes: You've Got her in your Pocket
The White Stripes: Seven Nation Army

Cathedral said:
I don't think I would want to share what I listen to because it's quite obscure and unpopular.

Hey Cathedral.
my music taste falls under this category as well, and so do some other users' here.

(and well, noone here really cares about popularity.)

do tell us :)

Doom Metal. It is an extreme genre of Heavy Metal that is basically the opposite of Death Metal, but is still similar in some ways. Instead of breakneck speeds, the major focus is on heaviness, darkness, and in a lot of cases, total Black Sabbath worship. It is a quite varied genre, with some bands sounding more like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, and the likes, and some bands being basically slowed down death metal. A select few bands even tend to be experimental and ambient. I will give some examples:

Proto-Doom - Black Sabbath, Witchfinder General, Cirith Ungol
Retro-Doom - Witchcraft, Jex Thoth, Burning Saviours, Blood Ceremony
Traditional Doom - Saint Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Pentagram, Trouble, Cathedral
Stoner/Doom - Sleep, Acid King, Sheavy, Electric Wizard
Epic Doom - Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice
Gothic Death/Doom - My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia
Sludge/Doom - Eyehategod, Crowbar, Neurosis, The Melvins
Death/Doom - Winter, Autopsy, diSEMBOWELMENT
Black/Doom - Bethlehem, Dolorian, Barathrum, (early) Samael
Drone/Doom - Earth, Sunn O))), Boris

Cathedral said:
Doom Metal. It is an extreme genre of Heavy Metal that is basically the opposite of Death Metal, but is still similar in some ways. Instead of breakneck speeds, the major focus is on heaviness, darkness, and in a lot of cases, total Black Sabbath worship. It is a quite varied genre, with some bands sounding more like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, and the likes, and some bands being basically slowed down death metal. A select few bands even tend to be experimental and ambient. I will give some examples:

well, from that list i listen to...
black sabbath, solitude aeturnus, (some) cathatonia, neurosis, sunn O))), and some other things.

i listen mostly to black metal, but those are not THAT far apart. Doom metal is a very interesting genre of music.

(as i said, don't worry about popularity. we are a pretty varied group here, so we are bound to have some very varied tastes :))

Bread said:
- The Seatbelts: Waltz for Zizi
- The Seatbelts: See You Space Cowboy...
- The Seatbelts: Wo Qui Non Coin
- The Seatbelts: Piano Bar
- The Seatbelts: Good Night Julia

OH MAN, BREAD!

I LOVE the work the Seatbelts did for Cowboy Bebop. That entire soundtrack (well, SET of soundtracks...) just flat-out owns me.

I really like the harmonica tracks actually, like Spokey Dokey and Diggin' My Potato (shut up all of you with your Idaho jokes). And Space Lion is good, too.

Nice picks with Waltz for Zizi and Goodnight Julia...man, some of these songs are those kind that used to (and occasionally still do) trigger real memories/feelings about my long-time-back episode of unreciprocated love. I used to be able to lock the door, put these songs on, turn out the lights and just curl up in to the couch with my depression and some tears, and frequently a glass of wine.

I know I say this a lot, and it's NOT healthy, but I kind of miss being able to do that because it was all I had left of her.

dead said:
Cathedral said:

well, from that list i listen to...
black sabbath, solitude aeturnus, (some) cathatonia, neurosis, sunn O))), and some other things.

i listen mostly to black metal, but those are not THAT far apart. Doom metal is a very interesting genre of music.

(as i said, don't worry about popularity. we are a pretty varied group here, so we are bound to have some very varied tastes :))

I haven't heard much black metal or anything outside of doom metal. I have been leaning towards the funeral and drone sub-genres of doom lately. Bands like Mournful Congregation, Shape of Despair, Thergothon, Skepticism, Sunn O))), Earth, etc. are just plain awesome.

My favorite album right now, though, is very odd. It is called "In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum", supposedly recorded in 1969 by a band called Jacula, but it sounds like it was made at least in the 80's. The main instruments are an electric guitar and organ, minimal percussion, an occasional piano, and vocals spoken in Latin. The music itself is just so dark and occult sounding...

[youtube]Ptv6uid6UHE[/youtube]

Cathedral said:
I haven't heard much black metal or anything outside of doom metal. I have been leaning towards the funeral and drone sub-genres of doom lately. Bands like Mournful Congregation, Shape of Despair, Thergothon, Skepticism, Sunn O))), Earth, etc. are just plain awesome.

Hmm, I'm checking some of those out. I think I like Mournful Congregation so far. Also giving Candlemass a try.

Based on what I've heard so far from Mournful Congregation, have you ever listened to Primordial? You might like them if you haven't. Similar themes and atmosphere, somewhat similar musical pacing in some of the songs. Some of their vocals are black metal whilst others are clean vocals and I think they're pretty well balanced.

Try some of the songs in my page 1 post from them if you haven't heard them already.

Brian said:
Cathedral said:

Hmm, I'm checking some of those out. I think I like Mournful Congregation so far. Also giving Candlemass a try.

Based on what I've heard so far from Mournful Congregation, have you ever listened to Primordial? You might like them if you haven't. Similar themes and atmosphere, somewhat similar musical pacing in some of the songs. Some of their vocals are black metal whilst others are clean vocals and I think they're pretty well balanced.

Try some of the songs in my page 1 post from them if you haven't heard them already.

I will check them out sometime. I have recently found quite a few supposedly drone albums from unknown bands, so it might be a little while before I get to Primordial and Tyr.

While trying to find some drone, I have instead found a great black metal band with some ambient moments. They are called "Wolves in the Throne Room". Check them out if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back