What were you like as a child?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
annik said:
I remember being quite happy. Not out going but not overly shy either. I used to be quite popular at primary school.

Older than that I had way more confidence and drive than I have now.

Where did it all go wrong, I'm a bloody shambles now...

i was happy too until the age of 16. That's when drinking and girlfriends become 'what you do' and the slow process of finding out I wasn't as good as everybody else slowly dawned on me !

duff said:
annik said:
I remember being quite happy. Not out going but not overly shy either. I used to be quite popular at primary school.

Older than that I had way more confidence and drive than I have now.

Where did it all go wrong, I'm a bloody shambles now...

i was happy too until the age of 16. That's when drinking and girlfriends become 'what you do' and the slow process of finding out I wasn't as good as everybody else slowly dawned on me !

I pretty much ground to a halt the same kind of time and to be honest it just got worse when I started having relationships. Knocked pretty much all of my confidence out of me and I'm not sure I ever got any of it back, unfortunately, because now thats kind of ruining things that could and should be amazing.

I realise though that never having relationships can effect you too. It's like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you dont.

I was curious, gentle, romantic, and dreamy, and a self-described "book worm". I was very possessive and self-righteous. I was also silly, loved to dance and swim, and could get into the worst giggling fits. I was really into writing and illustrating my own stories. I was obsessed with exploring around in the various little doors of my grandmothers attic, and I liked picnics,the bible, sleepovers and violent video games. I behaved well in skool, as I didn't see the point of acting up. I was afraid of my father.

I was the care free thrill seeker kid who did crazy things for attention... haha funny how its the exact opposite now :p

I was spoiled rotten and pushy until maybe age 6 and always up for adventures, then life kicked in and I became quiet and sad, daydreaming a lot and reading. Between age 7 and 10 I did write a lot of poetry. Honest and looking out for those kids even worse off than me, but very selfish with stuff, being bullied didn't help that ugly tract.

A lot like now, really. I was always quiet and shy. Bullied a lot, even by the other kids in the street before I started going to school. And even worse at school (and right up till now, really). My parents tried to get me in to athletics, because my sister was good at it, but I wasn't, and I didn't make any friends there (more bullying because I really wasn't very good at it), and then they put me in the Scouts, and I didn't make any friends there either. If anything, it just highlighted how I didn't fit in with anyone. So I would find places where I could hide, and spent most of my time in them. The library. The back seat of the family car. My bedroom. I would draw and read a lot, so teachers and the like would often call me a 'dreamer', and say that I must like my own company. But I didn't like being alone all the time. But when I tried to say, or show, that I didn't like being alone, I was basically always told to shut up. Nobody was interested ....

Withdrawn loner; But with a childlike innocence. Needless to say the first half of that comment hasn't changed.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I was shy, quiet, kind of popular but kept to myself.

As an adult, I still haven't changed.

Kind of popular? But just not having much luck with the ladies? Hmmmmm..

Introverted, a loner, very quiet, obsessive, anti-social, I questioned everything and my parents thought I had asperger's syndrome for years (turns out I'm just ******* weird apparently, a doctor called me "mildly eccentric" when I was 6 years old).
fresia ponies and kittens, I wanted a pet pigeon instead (I did get 1 eventually), I never outgrew dolls and "childish" things (or anything for that matter).

Cucuboth said:
A lot like now, really. I was always quiet and shy. Bullied a lot, even by the other kids in the street before I started going to school. And even worse at school (and right up till now, really). My parents tried to get me in to athletics, because my sister was good at it, but I wasn't, and I didn't make any friends there (more bullying because I really wasn't very good at it), and then they put me in the Scouts, and I didn't make any friends there either. If anything, it just highlighted how I didn't fit in with anyone. So I would find places where I could hide, and spent most of my time in them. The library. The back seat of the family car. My bedroom. I would draw and read a lot, so teachers and the like would often call me a 'dreamer', and say that I must like my own company. But I didn't like being alone all the time. But when I tried to say, or show, that I didn't like being alone, I was basically always told to shut up. Nobody was interested ....

This sounds similar to me (although I'm an only child, so the sister stuff doesn't apply). I took up videogames instead of reading though, and dabbled in various forms of creative expression (mostly writing, because I can't into art or music).

I always kept to myself as a kid. Everyone always thought of me as a shy boy to feel sorry for, even the teachers thought that. I do remember spending alot of time with 1 friend during recesses, playing make-belief mortal kombat under a tree. But then other times I just took naps somewhere shady. At home I also played a lot of make-belief games. I remember playing with my pokemon toys and pretending I'm witnessing an awesome battle. Oh... how I miss those days.

As a kid, I was hyperactive.
Unfortunately when I was a kid, teachers were stupid.
In kindergarten, I couldn't sit still since I had a lot of energy. The teacher would punish me by not allowing me to have recess. I had to sit by myself at the fence. After recess was nap time. I'm quite sure you can guess I wasn't going to go to sleep since I still had all that energy so I had to sit at a table on the opposite side of the room from everyone else. After nap time was normal class again but since I was still full of energy I had to stand in the corner. I learned pretty quickly that I was supposed to always be by myself. I've now learned that teachers are not allowed to do that since it's stupid.
In 1st grade, the teacher would assign someone to monitor the class when she left the room and the kids got a kick out of putting my name on the chalkboard so I wouldn't get recess.
I also was not allowed to go to the academically gifted school because the teachers thought that I was not paying attention in class since I was always energetic. It didn't matter that I aced all the tests required. I have learned they have since changed that too.

In my room

Wailun said:
I always kept to myself as a kid. Everyone always thought of me as a shy boy to feel sorry for, even the teachers thought that. I do remember spending alot of time with 1 friend during recesses, playing make-belief mortal kombat under a tree. But then other times I just took naps somewhere shady. At home I also played a lot of make-belief games. I remember playing with my pokemon toys and pretending I'm witnessing an awesome battle. Oh... how I miss those days.

Sounds a lot like me

EveWasFramed said:
Tortured.

Whoa...wanna talk about it?

Latest posts

Back