What you guys should really do before any girl...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stride said:
The divorce rate in this country wouldn't be so high if all it took was buying a car, sorry.

Lol I can just imagine some sad divorced guy saying to himself "If only I had bought a car..."

Stride said:
While I agree that being able to be responsible is a needed ability to make a relationship work, it's not the whole story. You won't learn compromise, decency, monogamy, and all of the other important characteristics that BOTH parties need to maintain a lasting relationship just from buying a vehicle. Sure, you'll learn how to pay bills on time and maybe how to change a tire, but these skills are menial when you look at the larger picture of what a relationship is.

The divorce rate in this country wouldn't be so high if all it took was buying a car, sorry.

Responsibility is an essential part of maintaining a relationship. However, it is only part of a whole. That doesn't dismiss that it is still essential, which I think a few people almost want to. Its a bit like saying, 'Well, yes, breathing is essential, but its not the only part of living! So its not the only thing that matters! Breathing isn't that important."

Which is inane.

Responsibility may not be the only thing which matters, and of course it isn't, but it is still essential. That's my only point in this entire post.

If you don't need a car, why get one? I lived in London for two years, where I met my ex husband. Neither of us owned a car and we didn't need to. Both of us were responsible, though.
Responsibility doesn't always mean taking care of just yourself - i.e. work a job so you can afford to buy a car. You could get a dog, which requires responsibility but doesn't entail only making sure your own needs are being met. And if you want to be in a relationship, how about making sure you can meet someone else's needs as well as your own?

Teresa

Plants would be better than a dog. Some people, like me, are less interested in a guy on discovering he has pets.

IgnoredOne said:
Responsibility is an essential part of maintaining a relationship. However, it is only part of a whole. That doesn't dismiss that it is still essential, which I think a few people almost want to.

Responsibility may not be the only thing which matters, and of course it isn't, but it is still essential. That's my only point in this entire post.

That's not what your original post suggests:

If you cannot have the responsibility to afford, pay for and maintain a vehicle, then you are no absolutely no position to get into a long-term relationship with a woman.

What is the point of only focusing on one essential aspect of a relationship? You made it sound as if buying a vehicle would automatically bestow you with awesome relationship skills, which it will not.

Its a bit like saying, 'Well, yes, breathing is essential, but its not the only part of living! So its not the only thing that matters! Breathing isn't that important."

Which is inane.

You're right, it is inane. So is focusing on only one aspect of building a successful relationship. That's my point. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah ladies, I have a 1999 white grand am SE (hello)
Who wants to ride with the Lim? :D I have stationary rims and automatic transmission. Has a tape deck too! Remember those?

Limlim said:
Who wants to ride with the Lim? :D I have stationary rims and automatic transmission. Has a tape deck too! Remember those?

Wow, that's hot, Lim! You should be picking up the ladies right and left!
:)

Teresa

Stride said:
That's not what your original post suggests:

If you cannot have the responsibility to afford, pay for and maintain a vehicle, then you are no absolutely no position to get into a long-term relationship with a woman.

What is the point of only focusing on one essential aspect of a relationship? You made it sound as if buying a vehicle would automatically bestow you with awesome relationship skills, which it will not.

I think you're seeing it as IgnoredOne saying, "As soon as you've owned a car, you're ready to be in a relationship." It's really more like, "One of several important steps you should take is this."

It's kind of like saying, "Before you have a child, you should babysit for somebody. That way, you'll have had a little experience and know what might come up." Does babysitting actually prepare you for the full trials of being a parent? Of course not. Will it help you learn something? Yes!

Stride said:
You're right, it is inane. So is focusing on only one aspect of building a successful relationship. That's my point. :rolleyes:

I apologize for not communicating myself better, then.

while action in the absence of fear is either stupidity or something mundane.

Limlim said:
while action in the absence of fear is either stupidity or something mundane.

I brushed my teeth with courage. With great victory, many bacteria has been slain. Victory is to be had by all justice!

I bravely took a dump and against all odds, mustered up the courage to wipe my ass afterwards.

Washing my hands? Well you see, we work up to that.

nerdygirl said:
It's kind of like saying, "Before you have a child, you should babysit for somebody. That way, you'll have had a little experience and know what might come up." Does babysitting actually prepare you for the full trials of being a parent? Of course not. Will it help you learn something? Yes!

I think that's a good example of what is trying to be said. Ignored could have worded it better, since everyone seems to think it's about the car, when it's not. It's more of the fact of being responsible for a car, being able to pay for it and such shows that side of someone. I can speak from experience knowing someone who just can't for the life of him keep a car. My brother has had at least 7 cars, most of which were repossessed. Two broke down, because he didn't care for them.

And honestly, from my point of view, it is annoying to have someone around that you just can't rely on. So it's the idea of it, not the actual car itself. Babysitting can't surely prepare you for parenthood, but it gives you some sort of idea of what you're going to have to do. And it allows you to let that responsibility sink in and soak for a bit.

Like I said at first, I agree that learning responsibility is a key factor in developing the skills to sustain a relationship. The idea I think people got in their minds was: learn responsibility = ready for long term relationship, which from the original post seemed to be the idea. That's all I was really responding to...I don't think the advice is any less sound. Apologies if I took it too srs :club:

fortasse said:
Stride said:

Lol I can just imagine some sad divorced guy saying to himself "If only I had bought a car..."

:D

Limlim said:

So. Sexy. *drools*

I meant the car, not you. :p

I know you want me, no one can resist my factory installed radio and air conditioner which only works if you smack it. ;)

You should be focusing on a specific girl that you really connect with, not whichever girl seems to like the fact you have a car, house, good job, or whatever. People who do the former mostly end up happy while people who do the latter always end up miserable.

Don't be fake; Keep it real. It will happen when it happens.

Latest posts

Back