what's the point

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UDZ

Reaction score
No - not about to jump - though I have been there.

Just weary - all i do is work - 7 days a week - no holiday for years - and when I'm not working I'm looking after my 2yo son. My wife and I barely speak we're so busy just trying to keep ourselves above the breadline. Work is hard and stressful, I don't make enough money and she complains all the time about it, we live in a rough neighbourhood where we are the only people who seem to have jobs. All night the kids are in the street screaming and playing football, people can't seem to play music unless it is at ground shaking volume and then they have to have the windows open. Summer is terrible here - winter coming now and that is some relief - I pray for rainnot and gales that will last for weeks so we can get some peace and quiet.
Our relationship is on the rocks - she lost her fertility after our boy was born and now she is just angry all the time. We can still conceive again but only via IVF but the cost is too much - we just can't afford it - already massively in debt

So what's the point of it all - where is the life is all this crap? Seems we're just killing ourselves to raise a son into a world where no-one has time for anyone, no community left - England is dead unless you are rich. You can have a life as long as you have money - but everyone else is a slave.

We are a nation that has been divided and comprehensively conquered. Our culture is the culture of the aristocracy - there is no simple life to be had here - if you are poor - it's just crap

So i will continue slowly drinking and drugging myself to death because i just can't see the point of this life

Holy crap that is a full plate you have there! You have my complete sympathy. Firstly i want to say that in my book you're a hero for working such long hours and not on quitting your family, hands down you're bigger than so many worthless lamo's (mostly men) who make babies and then bugger off because the responsibility is too much and they don't give a honeysuckle. Your son is lucky.

i relate to your sense of pointlessness, it seems that is a very common state of being and pretty **** hard to find any clarity in a world that seems so f..ed up most of the time. i know it can all seem like a huge string of meaningless events from birth to death, but then this is all we have here...

sure if you have money things are easier in one way and there is less stress on certain levels but it isnt the holy grail to finding happiness and meaning either.. i work with old guys that are in their twilight years and they all have nice houses, cars, families, material goods.. etc.. one of them said to me recently that he has plenty of friends with 'lots of money' and in all seriousness he looked me in the eye and said that it did NOT make them happy... i believe him.

the way i see it is whatever shitty cards fate dealt you you have to play them as best as you can. i have been poor all my life and as a child i really didnt know this and didnt care.. what i remember is not how much 'stuff' i had but the times when my family was together and we were having fun.. no money needed.

i live in a huge apartment complex thats filled to the brim with nutters everywhere i turn, people with no respect for the space of others and music/noise is rampant day and night.. washing lines on balconies, pigeon honeysuckle everywhere and crazies stalking the night... it's a community.. HA! It took me many years to get used to living in this craphole.. but then i dont have the means to move out to my own house in the suburbs so this is it.. gotta make the best of it. There is no guarantee it would be better if i rented anyway.. could end up living next to psycho drug dealers..

I DONT HAVE CHILDREN. So i can slowly drink and drug myself to death if i so choose, but it sounds like a real nasty and painful road to me and an ugly way to check out of a shitty reality. fresia that! This reality will get my finger.. the pointlessness will get my finger too!

The point of this life for you is to keep walking, being there for your son and loving him.

Thats my opinion.

I don't know

biology keeps ourselves and others a slave to existence

not everything is bad,

if your child is healthy be grateful for that

let him and your wife know you love and appreciate them

take it one day at a time

*hugs*

The point is something you have to decide for yourself. Find something you want to achieve, and go for it.

If you can't do that, then no one can help you.

Thanks for the replies - all made me think

I wrote my thread one night after a fight with my wife and a couple of glasses of wine. Actually i don't over drink and I don't smoke - just like to eat my homegrown pretty regular after work.

I am lucky to have a lovely healthy son and my wife is a star - she just wants more than I can give and i can't blame her for that -

So i'll keep battling on - my dad said to me once 'why are so many people surprised when they discover life is hard - it's always been hard!'

So i got abit low and angry but I'm over it now. For now

thanks all

UDZ: I like this saying "Why are so many people surprised when they discover life is hard - it's always been hard!". That's the first time I've heard it and it's very realist.

I hope things go better for you.

This will seem like an odd response. But I STRONGLY recommend you read the book "The Richest Man In Babylon" maybe your library can order it in. I guarantee it's worth your time.

kovsky said:
UDZ: I like this saying "Why are so many people surprised when they discover life is hard - it's always been hard!". That's the first time I've heard it and it's very realist.

I hope things go better for you.

While this is somewhat true, I suggest people more often than not make it harder on themselves, rather than life simply being hard.

It was Mine said:
This will seem like an odd response. But I STRONGLY recommend you read the book "The Richest Man In Babylon" maybe your library can order it in. I guarantee it's worth your time.

I have that book!
You have excellent taste, good sir.

UDZ, saving is key, but so is moving up. It sounds to me like you need to find a way to move up to a better job or take your skills somewhere more gainful. Nothing is really a dead end. When people are in the hole seems to be when we find what we can really do.

Latest posts

Back