What's your opinion on this

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People can have mental health issues despite being utterly reasonable, and their conditions needn't have anything to do with "suppressed memories."  A lot has been discovered in the field since Freud's day.

Alyosha said:
People can have mental health issues despite being utterly reasonable, and their conditions needn't have anything to do with "suppressed memories."  A lot has been discovered in the field since Freud's day.

iu

iu

Hey Just Games. I saw you deleted your post, I wonder why?
I hope you don't mind that I reply because I read it yesterday and I remember more or less what you wrote.

Freud saw the psyche as something similar to a stream engine. We still do nowadays. People say things like "letting off steam", "bottling something up". And even nowadays people say "Daddy issues" which doesn't deviate too much from Freud's ideas. Society largely believes in those things.

But when the name Freud gets mentioned the automatic response is to distance oneself. We are taught that. People think nowadays we know better. I think we don't. The knowledge we think we have in the industry of psychiatry is for a big part just pseudo knowledge imo, but it pays people.

I read somewhere that the most recent influences on psychology were computers to a large extent. So we moved from the steam engine analogy to the next significant thing we built which is computers, and this analogy emphasizes the cognitive processes in psychology and moved away from the Freudian repression stuff. I think cbt might be an example, but I don't know anything about therapy.

What I do know is that it is very common for people to see therapists and talk for hours and hours about their childhood, because they feel they have to process the repressed feelings and then let them out. I also know that when diagnosing a mental condition psychiatrists will take into account the possibility of childhood trauma in their evaluation. Childhood is not the only possible cause of mental problems for sure. What I believe is that like in what you quoted, it can be the cause even if not visible immediately. Then I also think there are cases in which too much emphasis is put on it, nowadays as in the past, and people and their shrinks will try to dig out problems that don't exist. But it provides an explanation where no other explanation is known. And as a matter of fact, psych docs lack explanations more often than not.

So Iwould say we are "programmed" to belittle Freud, no matter how much of an influence he has on current psychiatry. In the future other analogies than computers will be used and they'll laugh at what people believed in in 2020.

If you are able to see that a lot of your psychological issues come from your childhood then that's something good that you know yourself well enough. People have difficulties identifying their unhealthy behaviours and thoughts. It is also necessary to take 100% of responsibility of your mind even if it was something that happened to you at no fault of your own and resulted from other messed up people mistreating you. They will not rectify it so it's 100 % a task of your own to do what you can to fix it as much as is possible.

Thanks Myra,I just thought the part where he thought that the unhealthy, however,neurotic or hysterical  individuals  was back then maybe ok terms to use but a bit of a generalization and insulting if applied to people today.This is what was written in full and I just wondered how it would be applied today before Aloysa so rightly stated that we have moved on greatly with discoveries since Freuds day,who unfortunately I have never read which is ridiculous considering how important  his theories were.
On publication of the book Die Traumdeutung apparently there were many people who if not actually tempted to burn the book,must have found its contents  shocking.

The book expounded the theory on which all future psychoanalysis was based,even the theories which reacted so violently against it which I thought was a really interesting fact/opinion.

The human mind consists of two layers.With the outer of our conscious mind we reason and form judgement s.In reasonable, well balanced individuals, the pains and sorrows of childhood have been worked through,put behind them.With the unhealthy,however,neurotic or hysterical individuals,there is beneath the surface of life a swirling cauldron of suppressed memories in which lurk the traumas of early experiences. Under hypnosis,or in dreams we re-enter the world of the subconscious and with care of a helpful analyst we can sometimes revisit the scenes of our early miseries and locate the origins of our psychological difficulties.Just would be interesting to see peoples take on that and if anyone had worked through their pain from childhood,put behind them,unlike people like that haven't totally been able to do that probably like me not ever seeing a psychiatrist unfortunately. Thanks for your thoughts on it :)

Latest posts

Back