Who in your life always lets you down?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see. Myself and everyone I've ever met. (In real life, mind you, but there are those who've disappointed me online.) :D

What is it again? Self sabotage? I don't deserve happiness, is pretty much what my inner saboteur is always saying, constantly.

I always find reasons of how someone has let me down. So I guess the question would be who has let me down the least. The answer would be everyone else over myself.

Is my self-loathing showing? :eek:

My entire family lets me down because they don't understand that I cannot control my OCD, and constantly yell at me for the things I do. I have been through years of psycotherapy and psychiatrists trying different medications, and I have less obsessions now, but no matter what I do it's not enough. My sister is the worse one. She has a friend with OCD and accepts him and his illness, but just yells at me. I think maybe it is because we live in the same house, and I am around her. I try to stay out of her way by spending most of my time in the apartment my Mom and I share, but have to interact with her, because we eat meals together since we don't have a kitchen sink or stove in our apartment. I have one friend who lives out of state that I talk to on the phone almost everyday that understands, and that is it. I would go crazy without her to vent to.

I always let myself down because I always let stuff get at me, and Sometimes I don't o what i'm sapposed to do.

Who lets me down? yeah myself. Like some other replies on here... I try my best to do something, I'm very cautious and plan things out, I never go on a whim, and yet I seem to mess everything up, lose everything I gained, and give up even trying to obtain the un-obtainable

I let myself always down, whatever the reason is... Always. Even if I'm happier or more glad a little time, then I will find out some stupid reason to get me down. Very stupid?

It's so sad to hear so many people have problems with family :(

My family's generally very good. Unfortunately my "problem person" is one of my uncles. He's just a prick most of the time - boastful, very materialistic, arrogant, tight-fisted and he also has a pretty cruel sense of humour too. He has moments where he is genuinely likeable, but unfortunately they are getting rarer and rarer.

For years he has taken from his family and given next to nothing in return, though he'd debate that. He stopped seeing me at all after I was a very young kid because apparently the petrol money for a half hour drive is too expensive - even though he's not hurting for cash at all.

Despite the fact that he lives much closer to my other relatives than my parents and I do, he just lets us do all the work. He will not really help anyone unless he stands to benefit from it financially. It's tremendously sad, but it's just who he is I guess.

For other people that let me down...pretty much everyone I've tried to get meaningfully close to actually.

I've had three best friends, all three have either really harshly backstabbed me or just disappeared, it varies.

I've had one girl I've tried to get close to after she initiated contact with me. Turned out she was just leading me on and it really twisted the knife emotionally. Amazing how something with no actual substance can hurt so much.

I reckon after so much shitty luck with meeting people, I'm bound to find someone genuine soon :)

My dad lets me down, everytime he puts all the pressure and expectations of staying in touch on me, even though HE's the parent ("you never call, I never hear from you, I have no idea what you're doing these days" - well, dad, if you're so interested and worried about how I'm doing, why don't you pick up the phone yourself and CALL, then?).

Close friends usually let me down; the closer the friend, the harder the let-down. I've given up on having a "best friend", because those are the worst. I sometimes think that these former friends is one of the reasons I keep avoiding relationships; if being dumped by just a friend hurts this much, I can't imagine how it will be when a guy I love does the same. (However, I have one friend who to this date, after 10 years of friendship, has not dumped me, or let me down, and just keeps on supporting me and helping me in whichever way he can. He's amazing.)

Most of all, though, I think I let myself down. I'm never as good as I want to be.

Why not, it's morning and the family is still sleeping off their late night TV. So, two cents' worth...

I cannot ever remember my dad letting me down. He probably did somewhere along the line but I forget stuff. Everybody we ever know, including ourselves, will at some point let us down. Always. Big or small, simple or difficult, mean and harsh or unintentional. Whenever we put trust in another person, or ourselves, there are times our expectations exceed what is possible by that person (and ourselves).

The key to relationships is to regulate our expectations, "know when to hold'em and when to fold'em," and the great, magic word so rarely heard: forgiveness. Many times forgiveness is easy, for a close friend, a family member, a significant other. For people of less direct importance to us, not always so much. Grudges are horrible, destructive things. Blaming people for being fallible and being who they are is not fair. That does not mean one should be a doormat or put aside criminal, hateful and cruel actions, just that when someone lets us down or "wrongs" us in some short way we should step back and see what is behind the circumstances.

I've always believed those words I just wrote but find it harder and harder to follow them. I've always put too much trust and set my expectations too high. I've been let down and disappointed by everybody. My bad, for excessive trust and for not recognizing people will be who they are. But sometimes I still do it. In general I expect most people to react at the very least indifferent, if not rude or hostile. It's the way I cope with this world and a life that has so gone to honeysuckle. I am, then, surprised and delighted when people are kind, thoughtful, etc..

Equinox said:
Close friends usually let me down; the closer the friend, the harder the let-down. I've given up on having a "best friend", because those are the worst. I sometimes think that these former friends is one of the reasons I keep avoiding relationships; if being dumped by just a friend hurts this much, I can't imagine how it will be when a guy I love does the same. (However, I have one friend who to this date, after 10 years of friendship, has not dumped me, or let me down, and just keeps on supporting me and helping me in whichever way he can. He's amazing.)

Most of all, though, I think I let myself down. I'm never as good as I want to be.

"Best friend" friendships just kind'of happen, I think. They're quirks. We can't make them happen. Whether we're a party animal with friends a'plenty or a lone wolf, sometimes a person comes along that "gets it" with us. Those may come and go, depending on where we or they wind up in life, but those are the least likely to let us down. But they will. Little things we forgive. Sometimes big things, or little things to one of us that are big things to them, destroy relationships. Been there, done that. It hurts like hell. But we just have to keep going and leave the door open just enough... otherwise all we have is pain without ever the possibility of someone else coming along to help ease it.

When it comes to true love, that "one and only," and it's a truly mutual thing there will still be some nasty moments when we're devastated. But if the relationship is real and the love is there, I've discovered that having the courage and taking the time to approach that other person with humility, on their terms, to work the problems out is quite effective. My wife and I disagree on a boatload of things. We piss each other off. We disappoint each other. But I've never let a disagreement cloud how I feel nor gone to sleep with bad feelings that were not worked out. This has kept us together for 34 years in a world where divorce is as common as burger joints.

Maybe that was five cents' worth? Hmm....

Latest posts

Back