Who Walks Away Most?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny

Reaction score
Source: http://www.divorce-lawyer-source.com/faq/emotional/who-initiates-divorce-men-or-women.html

Who initiates the divorce more often, the wife or the husband?

One might think that 50 percent of the time, a divorce action is filed by the husband, and the other 50 percent of the time it’s the wife who begins the proceedings — or that maybe there’s a small percentage to subtract for the divorces that are somehow filed jointly by spouses who agree that they should part.

It also seems plausible that since the wife’s standard of living often declines after a divorce, women would be less likely to file a divorce action. Conversely, because men more often engage in adultery, it may seem that wives would be more likely to seek a divorce based on their husbands’ conduct.

The reporting of divorce statistics isn’t as complete as, say, the census data collected in the U.S. every ten years. However, several sources have arrived at pretty much the same answer to the question, “who initiates a divorce more often, men or women?”

Two-Thirds of the Time

It’s the wife who files for divorce in about two-thirds of divorce cases, at least among couples who have children. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the proportion has changed slightly over the years; for example, in 1975, approximately 72 percent of the divorces in the U.S. were filed by women, whereas by 1988, only about 65 percent were filed by women.

The Same throughout the 19th Century

A study reported in the American Law and Economics Review in 2000, "These Boots Are Made for Walking: Why Most Divorce Filers are Women" also showed that more recently, women file more than two-thirds of divorce cases in the US. Even though the individual states’ data vary somewhat and the numbers have fluctuated over time, throughout most of the 19th century about 60 percent of divorce filings were by women.
Moreover, in some of the states where no-fault divorce was introduced, over 70 percent of the divorce filings were by women. Among college-educated couples, the percentage of divorces initiated by wives is a whopping 90 percent.

I am making no comment on this. I am simply posting it. Feel free to comment if you would like to.

I think this thread should be locked right now. In fact, I'm wondering now if you are someone I know on another forum who purposefully posts statistics like this to see if people will fight over it. I actually saw this exact thread, almost word for word posted on another forum and everyone fought about it. Please, I am begging the mods to lock this thread. People on here are supposed to post about their problems. The only purpose of posting this statistic is to cause a fight. This isn't a personal problem Kenny is having.

This is not something you need to share with people and if someone wants to find out statistics like this they will search for it themselves. A forum where the majority of people dont research this kind of stuff for themselves or is not researching such topics as part of their education is not the best place to discuss subjects of this nature.

The post is almost certainly going to cause controversy with most people, it is a troll post whether you realise it or not Kenny.

But hey Kenny, I'm curious. What went trough your head when you read this?

Women more often feel unhappy in their marriages? Soo, my fellow women, don't get married, it will suck. :)
And for the men too, when they get dumped. Just don't!

Canary said:
But hey Kenny, I'm curious. What went trough your head when you read this?

Women more often feel unhappy in their marriages? Soo, my fellow women, don't get married, it will suck. :)
And for the men too, when they get dumped. Just don't!

Nice avatar, my favourite painting :D

Caspar David Friedrich <3

With some cases of loneliness being caused by breakups and divorce, wouldn't the topic be pertinent to some people on this forum?

It NEVER fails. I can be gone for a week or more and if I stop in Kenny is getting dragged over the coals.

Divorce statistics might just interest some of the people in here. I'm not here much but I have read more than a few posts by people who have been married or are thinking about it. Jeesh....I'm interested it it. Limlim sees the point! I don't want to get married now and maybe I never will because of statistics like this. Most marriages fail whether you like the idea or not it's a fact and locking the thread isn't going to do anything to change it. Who goes for it might be of interest to some. So far only one person is trying to start crap and it ain't Kenny....I swear, a few people can make a site suck for everyone.

Limlim said:
With some cases of loneliness being caused by breakups and divorce, wouldn't the topic be pertinent to some people on this forum?

Because of the way it was presented. It really doesn't matter who leaves relationships the most. What matters is there are people out there who were left in relationships and alone because of it. The purpose of this forum is for people to come here and recover when they are stuck in that situation. The only result that can come from posting statistics like this is breeding hatred. People like the poster above get angry and develop unhealthy viewpoints about marriage from reading these statistics and women who were left by their husbands and come here because they are lonely feel resentful when they open threads like this. If we discuss whether these statistics are valid or not, then people are going to disagree and argue with one another. And if we discuss why it happens and what they mean, people will get angry, too, because cruel accusations will be thrown about. What is one . . . even ONE possible positive conversation that will improve all our lives that could come out of this? Especially considering that it's being preached to the wrong audience. If women need to be preached to about staying in relationships longer, it should be the women who aren't alone and who don't cling to their husbands that this information should be told to. Not the women you will probably find here.

The point of this forum is for lonely people to feel UNITED. When you talk about how a certain group of people is cruel to another group, then it divides this forum into separate groups of people that hate one another.

By all means, if you were left by a spouse, make a thread about it and how hard it is, but that's different than posting statistics about how a certain group of people is cruel to one another. It's stereotyping and dividing people.

Like, I could respond to this thread by posting statistics about how women are abused more often in relationships than men and say that this is why they leave marriages more often. This would make the men angry because it makes men look bad and like the enemy when a lot of them have suffered and struggled in relationships and then they'll fight back and it will continue on and on.

I thought it was common sense that this would lead to people arguing, but I guess not.

Enchanted Girl said:
I think this thread should be locked right now. In fact, I'm wondering now if you are someone I know on another forum who purposefully posts statistics like this to see if people will fight over it. I actually saw this exact thread, almost word for word posted on another forum and everyone fought about it. Please, I am begging the mods to lock this thread. People on here are supposed to post about their problems. The only purpose of posting this statistic is to cause a fight. This isn't a personal problem Kenny is having.

Don't assume you know someone's life. This post is not going to cause a fight, and Lim is correct. Some of the people here on this forum are lonely because of a break up or a divorce.

I don't think us women walk away more though. From my personal experience, I wasn't the one who walked away. So I guess it depends on the people involved.

I'm just looking for honest and open feedback on the article. Which is why I intentionally didn't post an opinion, because I DON'T HAVE ONE.

I am at a point in my life where I am trying to understand women more (not demonize them). I just want opinions and insight.

Is that so wrong?

I figured an article rooted in "fact" was the right way to go, so I wouldn't give some sort of flawed opinion.

Kenny said:
I'm just looking for honest and open feedback on the article. Which is why I intentionally didn't post an opinion, because I DON'T HAVE ONE.

I am at a point in my life where I am trying to understand women more (not demonize them). I just want opinions and insight.

Is that so wrong?

I figured an article rooted in "fact" was the right way to go, so I wouldn't give some sort of flawed opinion.

All right. Well, if you really don't care either way, then I will answer. I thought you cared and would get mad if people didn't agree with it. Most people do.

The statistics could be true and could not be. I mean, I know they aren't making the numbers up or at least, I doubt that they are, but . . . .

The person who filed for divorce isn't necessarily the one who initiated it in conversation.

AND

We don't know why these women all filed for divorce, so we can't judge if its frivilous or not and that's all I have to say about it logically.

And emotionally, all I have to say is that every person is an individual. I've never broken up with someone before I was in a relationship with because I get really attached through thick and thin.

And I think it's easier to tell that both genders are cruel in relationships when you are bisexual like I am. In that case, you start really knowing that regardless of the person's genitals, they can treat you like crap and be really cruel about it. And that they are just as likely too as each other. Because relationships are about giving yourself fully to a person and whenever it doesn't work out, it hurts like crap.

Well my relationships, have been even even. I've been broken up with, people have broken up with me. ect.

It literally comes out 4/4 when I add it up. lol

I don't believe you can really go by these results tho. Yes, women MAY very well initiate the divorce proceedings, but the questions is WHY were they initiated? There could be domestic violence or adultery or something else. Or they could simply be tired of the relationship. There is no knowing by these statistics what caused the percentage of women to file.
IMO, men seem to just carry on about things whatever way they want to. If they aren't happy in the marriage, why not just go out and do what they want while leaving their wives at home to take care of things there. Whereas, women don't seem to do things this way on a grander scale.

Yes, I am aware I may be wrong and I may be bias because of what i went through, but those are my opinions. If I'm wrong, please tell me or show me proof.

Elgin said:
It NEVER fails. I can be gone for a week or more and if I stop in Kenny is getting dragged over the coals.

Are you his keeper? I believe he can speak for himself.

VanillaCreme said:
Don't assume you know someone's life. This post is not going to cause a fight, and Lim is correct. Some of the people here on this forum are lonely because of a break up or a divorce.

Like me? :D
I don't really see how just because a thread might be semi-controversial it will AUTOMATICALLY start a fight. We are adults for the most part, I'm sure we can manage.

That's my thought, Callie. As adults, we should be able to talk about anything without wanting to act like babies about it.

As far as "why" the divorces are filed, that's not part of it. Although I see why people would want to know. I'm pretty sure if we knew why, those stats would make a lot more sense. (D)

I know that's not specifically part of the post, but I do think that is relevant to the statistics. Because of the fact that Kenny said he is trying to understand women, but in order to do that based on these findings, you would have to know the reasons why the divorces were filed.

I do think knowing the reason behind why the divorces were filed might be helpful in understanding the statistics.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if women are filing more divorces.

I did a little study on my clients about two years ago. I have only worked on maybe 5 women in the past four years. 98% of my clients ask me for sexual favors, and 95% are married men. When I ask, I'm told they are unhappy with their marriages. However, none of them want divorces. It's expensive, they're afraid of being alone, and they're expensive. Did I mention expensive? They'd rather pay for sex acts and have girlfriends on the side than pay child support and/or alimony.

I'm not saying this is how all married men feel, but it's just what I learned.

@ Enchanted Girl - I'm of the mind that information should never be kept hidden (barring that of a personal nature) regardless of whether it will cause people to divide or fight. To me we've all already lost if we resort to that sort of thing. Though I very much respect your intentions and the desire to keep things civil.

@nerdygirl - interesting point you bring up about the monetary side of things. Do you think people would be better off in the long run if divorce weren't determined by factors other than the desire to be or not be with your less than significant other? (e.g. the expense and hassle involved) Would it be a good idea for society to push for a change in that regard?

People are living longer and longer in a different world than people once knew and the promise of "forever" is a lot longer than people before us had to live with. This August I'll be going to a former coworkers wedding, he's on his second marriage. The invitation says "To be wed for a lifetime of laughter and love together" and it makes me wonder if his last wedding invitation said that word too. It sounds far fetched, but the concept of fixed duration relationship contracts might end up being the way of the future, which could be considered for renewal every X number of years or so.

I bet the lawyers would cream their pants over the added expense and complications of something like that though. :p

.... This is why I get along with machines better than people. I can open a schematic and find whats broken and fix it. Stupid social norms!

Okay, I want to point out the title of this thread.

"Who walks away most?"

It's kind of accusatory if you just look at the thread title, and so, that's the first impression people will get when they click on it. Concentration on who walks away, not why, or the different dynamics between men/women as nerdy as pointed out.

Latest posts

Back