Why are psychologists paid SO MUCH when they're so useless????

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Stars

If you believe in "natural healing" and cosmic energies and all that jazz, you probably won't like the rest of my thread.
So I went to my first psychology session recently and was left confused and irritated.
I've suffered low-self esteem all my life from being mistreated by others but I've made gradual improvements.
I was having a shitty time at work (if you all remember my work threads) and thought to find help before it escalates. My workplace covers for 8 sessions...and if I were to pay privately - can you believe psychologists charge $100 an hour on average???

My session...well, it started off with me talking about my main problems (which was work) and then I went back to other problems that started in my youth which led me to how I am today. I'm still living through a bit of the "after-effects" of the mistreatment I went through when I was younger.
Then she explained to me about how we all have "chakras" and how she is an expert in energy healing...supposed to increase relaxation and helping me move forward from those past bad incidents.
First few exercises was me crossing my legs and then my arms in the opposite direction...apparently it helps me "center" myself due to how the brain is wired or whatever (I can't remember it all but this is the jist of it).
Next few exercises was like "tapping" on my head, chest, sides.
Most annoying exercise required me covering my hand on various parts of my body (head, chin, neck, left/middle/right of chest, sternum, upper/lower stomach, sides, between thighs) while saying outloud "I am scared" on each part because that's how I felt during the worst incidents of my youth.
Then after each round, I had to rate out of 10 how scared I felt thinking about it.
Um...

I don't have a video showing of "her way" but here's a video on YouTube that I found that I think is ridiculous and useless and promotes the same stuff:

Also, "they say" that it's all about my mindset...the problem is, I don't know how to change my mindset. That's what I want help with. How does a girl that's been depressed all her life go to becoming like the bubbly, happy girl-next-door?
I've worked hard to always improve and try to stay positive...but I don't know...my personality is just not bubbly and happy.
A lot of the overly happy people I've met...yes, they have problems too...but they had a great youth...the youth is so important because we're so vulnerable at that stage.
I have happy moments but it doesn't change the fact that I get stressed out easily and feel bad about myself...I've always have. It's just me. :/
Anyway...is it worth it for me to continue? I'm consdering going to see a different psychologist but it's a load of quakery to me...I insist you watch that YouTube video (I could only bear about 30 seconds of it) and tell me what you think.
What ARE psychologists supposed to do?
My mom went to one a long time ago...they had her imagine an invisible bottle and stuffing all her problems in it and throwing it away in the ocean...lololol...
I'm so frustrated and confused...and I don't know if my line of thinking about psychologists is correct or not...I'm one of those people...I'm an atheist, I'm not spiritual (though I find religion and spiritual things interesting), I don't believe in chakras and energies or auras or the universe responding to me depending on how I think...I don't know how to explain but I just don't believe and not sure what to do...

Sorry, long thread...

I'm not so sure of what you can do as I've not been in your position before for the most part. BUT, I will say that a bad start in life does not need to set the tone. I had a bad start in life. But I don't regret it. The way I see it is that these days I am pleasantly surprised at the freedom and independence I have and by the good things in life. Plus, you can always catch up on your youth and be wild and childish. If people don't like it, screw em' :D

What do psychologists have to do with new age healing? Sounds like you were bilked.

IgnoredOne said:
What do psychologists have to do with new age healing? Sounds like you were bilked.

I was thinking the exact same thing as soon as I read the first line... They have nothing to do with each other.

Psychologists vary as much as any particular person can vary. They can vary in culture, practice, personality, gender, etc...

There are strictly by the book psychologists, probably even strictly by the book psychologists who are atheist...

I've had a psychologist tell me the answer to one of my problems is that I should pray... So, I told them off and didn't come back, I could have had a priest tell me the same thing for free...

Psychologists don't have all the answers, and be wary of the ones who think they do. Psychology is a tool, much like meditation is a tool, or like prayer is a tool.

I know if you believe in something it is real to you. With that being said, you probably need to find a psychologist who is also an atheist and finds spirituality and religion something interesting, but ultimately having no basis in reality.

In my personal opinion. Psychology is and always has been flawed and has become increasingly watered down to the point of having absolutely no potency of effect what so ever. Psychology and psychiatry as it is today is aimed at "treating" patients. This allows for an indefinite expenditure of the patients money or the money of whichever provider the patient has. Another interesting view is that, let's say you have problem 'x', and your psychologist has never experienced or triumphed over problem 'x', how could you expect this psychologist to treat you? Even more interesting is when you and your psychologist both have problem 'x', but neither of you has found anyone who has triumphed over the problem and you are both still stuck with it, heh.

I would consider yourself lucky if I was you. THere are a great many people that go to psychologists looking for their proverbial keys, when in fact the were holding their keys in their hands the whole time, and didn't figure it out for themselves until 50,000-100,000 dollars were spent and or there lives were ruined... At least your psychologist was attempting to work with you and actually try to lay some grounds for change, not to say they weren't attempting to build a foundation on a sandy area in your mind, but...

Just understand, how often the situation occurs, that somebody with no legs goes to a psychologist complaining of not being able to walk (metaphor). It sounds a bit weird, but this honeysuckle happens A LOT. There really are a great number of things to which psychology in practice as it is today, is not the best remedy.

So basically you can keep looking till you find the right psychologist, or figure out what this or is.

I suggest you stick with the latter, but... As always, it's up to you.

To me also it sounded like a new age 'healer' not a psychologists.

No...she is a registered psychologist and that is what she is selling herself as...

Interesting feedback...thanks...

Psychologists are people, too... and some people believe in these things. If it doesn't work for you, you'll just need to keep looking for one that will. I'd recommend having a brief chat on the phone first, explaining what happened and clarifying that the person you're going to see is one that you believe will fit your needs.

Ive recently been doing the tapping excersize.
It wasnt a new idea to me. I heard of it 4-5 years ago but didnt practice it or applied it.

I dont take pysch meds....

Within the past serveral months. I notice the difference.
Im even more mellow and easy going.

I also do a lot of other self help programs and attend support groups from time to time.

The tapping seems esier for me....without having to pyscho annolized myself or get into
meditations, let go....ect

Whatever works for me...It's all good.

My fiance thinks it's harilious honeysuckle. She's laughing with me..not at me.
Watching me tapp myself like an egg.lmao Laughter is also healing.

It's all good...I tapp her too :p

Our relationship is healing........

They don't all make a lot. Many are out of work or work part time.

The reason why some make a ton is because they've been in the industry for a long time, have a wide client base or are hooked up with a counseling group.

Also, the industry in general is put on a pedestal.

You might like this podcast:

[video=youtube]

Psychologists have a variety of different methods. The experience you had sounds like you were set up with a typical new age "life coach" instead of your usual psychologist. I don't know how much you know about life coaches, but from my understanding, life coaches take a new approach to helping individuals fix problems in their lives through a combination of tried and tested psychology AND various spiritual aspects taken from the world's religions.

First let me say, that I was hesitant to read your post at first, but when I went through it I found that you sound like you're coming from almost exactly the same point of a view as a person that I have very close to me. She too, is an atheist (as am I), and she's had traumatic childhood experiences, and she's had awful times at work. She believes that human spirituality is a bunch of hooey, and that even scientifically accepted psychological methods are just as bullshitted.
I am somewhat more open to "spirituality", though I use that term sparingly due to my different take on it. I believe that the only higher entity there can ever be is one within ourselves, that the human brain has massive untapped potential so that we are essentially out own gods. When thinking of it that way, perhaps you can more easily accept the methods of your psychologist if you have absolutely no other options.

Help is a tricky thing to find. I think a therapist or a social worker is a better professional for someone in your situation should consult. The things you need to hear can even be found in the most unexpected of places. If I were to refer you to someone, I'd refer you to a professor I had last semester in an English class. This man somehow managed to blast away all the mental barriers that were weighing my inner self down and brought an inner peace that I've never experiences before after every class. I felt that it was more of a philosophy class than an English class. It was very introspective and enlightening.

I can't say that I know what will help you, but I can say that if you are absolutely desperate for some inner change to occur, open yourself up to this psychologist of yours. If not, actively seek out something that can. It might take months or even years to find it, but the only true way to healing is to keep an open mind and to not be stubborn. Accept all your fears and emotional scars, and then you may shed them freely.

I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the greatest of luck on your quest. PM me sometime if you need an open ear to listen.

I'm starting to believe that my therapist is useless.

Social anxiety is just something I feel. I can mask the panic attacks, and depression, and pretend that everything is okay. But I will still have to live with them.

The fact that they're held up to the standards of real doctors, who actually do something useful, is unbelievable.

I did a total of 9 years in therapy. I saw all sorts of psychologists. One was a spiritual healer with a Masters in psychology and the license, so yes, she was a practicing psychologist with "new age" leanings. I had an art therapist too, I found her method to be the most helpful because I was active in the process. Most of the psychologists I saw had the approach of cognitive behavioural therapy which I found didn't help at the time, but in hindsight I can see that I do use some of the concepts in my daily life now.

I learned (the hard way) not let anyone dictate my healing for me. I think we always need to take charge of our own healing, having said that, why don't you do some research on methods of therapy to see what approach you think you'd click with. Then you have to look for a psychologist who uses that approach...and during the first session, speak your mind and tell him/her what you expect from the sessions. In my case, I only started doing that after I'd gone through a dozen therapists. I knew I needed help but felt they were all useless because I personally didn't understand what I was supposed to do or what I was supposed to get from all the talking. Once I identified what I wanted (I wanted both talk and "homework" so I could be doing something at home to help myself), I told her (the art therapist) and things worked out a lot better.

I have no clue, people say they help. Honestly, most of their responses are slap in the face obvious on how to get help. I remember I was in therapy and everything they told me to do was so obvious and none of it worked. I swear the internet has everything a psychologist will ever tell you. There is no use going to one.

Latest posts

Back