Why do people go out at night?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love nightlife, but I usually can't afford to indulge in my favorite parts of it. Just being out at night, though, if better for me than being out in the day time. I find it more beautiful, it's quieter, and no annoying sunlight.

People treat me as if I'm from outer space because I don't 'go out' on weekends.

I never liked going to church because all it consists is people dressing up, posturing each other and talking about a whole lot of nothing. Going out to clubs/bar-hopping is very much the same to me.

I have my hobby's. It gives me the most gratification than being around.. people.

I never liked it before, but now I like it. I like going out with my friends. We don't do loud places though, I don't like those. We play boardgames mostly! A lot of fun!

Rainbows said:
I never liked it before, but now I like it. I like going out with my friends. We don't do loud places though, I don't like those. We play boardgames mostly! A lot of fun!

Going out at night to play boardgames? How does this work? I'm curious. I go to a friend's house to play boardgames, but I don't consider that "going out."

Case said:
Rainbows said:

Going out at night to play boardgames? How does this work? I'm curious. I go to a friend's house to play boardgames, but I don't consider that "going out."

We have this kind of café/pub where you can play computergames (You have to pay for this), boardgames (free) and card games (you gotta bring your own cards). Drinks are cheap too (1€ for almost everything).. Lots of my friends go there in their free time. I used to go with people, but now I can just walk in and sit with people I've seen before and talked to. It's open till 3 AM, so we mostly sit there from about 7 to 12.

Rainbows said:
We have this kind of café/pub where you can play computergames (You have to pay for this), boardgames (free) and card games (you gotta bring your own cards). Drinks are cheap too (1€ for almost everything).. Lots of my friends go there in their free time. I used to go with people, but now I can just walk in and sit with people I've seen before and talked to. It's open till 3 AM, so we mostly sit there from about 7 to 12.

Fascinating. I wish we had places like that where I live. That sounds really fun. The places here that allow gaming are mostly game shops where they set up tables, but they don't serve drinks, and it's very male-centric, and card-game oriented. Like Magic the Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Here, board gaming is a niche hobby and probably would not be a profitable business as a pub, sadly. Although, I honestly wish one was around the corner, because I'd be there often. Maybe I need to move to where these pubs are. LOL

Case, it is filled with yugioh players and magic the gathering players, I am the only female there.. it doesn't bother me. Yes, it took a while to get them all there to respect me, but I did it. I just spent another afternoon with them.. They are nice people. We often play League of Legends together too.

It is not that close to my home, sadly. But luckily (eh..) most of these guys are like brothers to me and allow me to sleep over at their place.

I usually watch them as they play YGO, but I might get into it. They are kind enough to include me and invite me. Usually play Monopoly afterwards.

It's good to figure out what you like and don't like.

I am with Rainbows...I do "games" now!

I never thought I'd be a "game" person but now I bring Dominos and Tile Rummy with me and everywhere I bring it people love it!

Cards is an easy one to take around.

It would be nice if we got into games again. I have initiated it with my dinner group and they love it. Everyone brought a game they liked and we tried it.

If the activity is fun then the outing will be fun.

And yes, even though I am total home buddy being out at night sometimes is romantic and interesting.

The loud music covers the lack of communication between people. Usually, people don't have a lot to say to each other. I first noticed this once when the electricity of a bar i was at was cut off for about 5 minutes. All of us, staring awkwardly at each other, no one said a single thing. Haven't been at a bar or club since then.

I don't know it makes zero sense I mean if you're effed up last thing you need is losing sleep and any ounce of morality left. You can read some comments here and understand people don't give two rats.

I could rant about people's desire to exhibit herd-like behavior in bar/club social situations for hours, but as far as being out at night in general, I used to love walking around my neighborhood in the middle of the night as a teen just to walk around and passively observe the behaviors of people at night as opposed to when most people are awake, during the day. I'm 21 and I don't plan on going to a bar any time soon, unless I arrive soused, then I might do some karaoke just to annoy people haha.

Bars/clubs without dancing are pretty boring. At least some of them will have pool tables. Otherwise, they are just places for alcoholics to commiserate, honestly.

I could never "get it" what was pleasurable about night clubs either,but lots of other people seem to like it, so I always figured it was just another incomprehensible social custom that it was my fault or failure that I didn't understand how to do properly.

Like going out on dates. Is dating meant to be fun? Going out on dates was always an ordeal that was a relief to over with. Is it better to do something in public instead of alone, so she feels safer in a crowd in case I'm some kind of creepy guy? Do we go to a play? A film? Maybe have a bite to eat in a restaurant later and talk about the play? Or some noisy night club where we have to shout over the music? Do I expect there might be some alpha male type guy who's going to stroll over and say to her, "Come with me......" and do I have to contend with him like in some kind of macho trip meets macho trip confrontation? Oh that really sounds like fun.

What a shitty world when you just "don't get it" how to have any kind of fun and not much of anything that other people like to do seems enjoyable. i don't seem to enjoy much of anything.

Well I like keeping honeybees and tending my little orchard and doing volunteer work is likeable enough to absorb the tedious stuff and still be worthwhile. That's as close as I get to fun. I went to culinary school as a hobby for about 2 1/2 years, in retirement, but that's been over for 2 or 3 years.

constant stranger said:
I could never "get it" what was pleasurable about night clubs either,but lots of other people seem to like it, so I always figured it was just another incomprehensible social custom that it was my fault or failure that I didn't understand how to do properly.

Like going out on dates. Is dating meant to be fun? Going out on dates was always an ordeal that was a relief to over with. Is it better to do something in public instead of alone, so she feels safer in a crowd in case I'm some kind of creepy guy? Do we go to a play? A film? Maybe have a bite to eat in a restaurant later and talk about the play? Or some noisy night club where we have to shout over the music? Do I expect there might be some alpha male type guy who's going to stroll over and say to her, "Come with me......" and do I have to contend with him like in some kind of macho trip meets macho trip confrontation? Oh that really sounds like fun.

What a shitty world when you just "don't get it" how to have any kind of fun and not much of anything that other people like to do seems enjoyable. i don't seem to enjoy much of anything.

Well I like keeping honeybees and tending my little orchard and doing volunteer work is likeable enough to absorb the tedious stuff and still be worthwhile. That's as close as I get to fun. I went to culinary school as a hobby for about 2 1/2 years, in retirement, but that's been over for 2 or 3 years.

I don't think it matters what other people think is fun, as long as YOU like what you do. To me, volunteer work and meditation are fun. I can't say I really ever had "fun" partying and drinking, though I told myself I did, I was mostly miserable.

I don't understand the whole night club thing. I like to go out at night, but I like bars that have music in the BACKGROUND so that you can have a conversation, not the ones that have it blaring so loud you can't think.

I have a few friends that always move onto the clubs from the bars after a certain time of night and the very few times I decide to come along, I regret it almost instantly. I don't see any joy in standing in a noisy, hot, crowded, smelly club with awful music blasting out and the drinks are double the price. They are soul destroying to me.

Case said:
Rainbows said:

I actually know of a cool bar in Cardiff that has board games all over the place. You go in, grab a table and pick whatever game you want to play with your friends. It's good fun.

Where I live is in the middle of a long road lined with Ilex trees with ineffective street lights, and the town though not far away has night clubs of the type I would wish not to visit. Being family orientated where I am mummy to my kids does limit my nocturnal activities, but then I run a B&B which in season can be very busy in the evenings. Unless I go on a cruise with our family.

Cruising is fun and creche is available 24/7 for young children, so enabling me to enjoy a nightlife onboard and having a few drinks which otherwise would be impossible if one is driving next day. I will dress up and look and feel absolutely great; it's the only time I have when on holiday to thoroughly enjoy myself. Just that at the end of the voyage I'll have racked up a mighty bar bill, heh heh heh! :D

I'm curious about the part about "people all done up looking their best." Are you saying it's a waste because they aren't doing anything or making some other comment?

People like to go out after work and on the weekends to drink, vent and unwind from work/life. I understand loud music being annoying in this case, but I think people generally go out to talk/socialize, not do nothing. If socializing isn't your thing I guess it wouldn't really be fun. I don't do well with vacuous people, but I like to socialize with people that I can hold down a real conversation with, unfortunately those interactions are far and few between. But in those cases I do like going out, if I had people like that in my life I'd want to go out with them all the time. Am I in the minority as someone that likes "going out?"

SarcasticJuan said:
I just got back from a 'night out' with my sister and her friend, they were all excited about it so I figured I'd come along, I've been out before with friends but it's really just us sitting doing nothing in a place that's way too loud and dark, and guess what, that's all I got tonight, it's all I've been to, and these places are packed with people all done up looking their best.

I don't get it, why do people just like sitting doing nothing? These aren't even dance places I go, they just have loud metal type music playing and nobody doing anything except drinking overpriced alcohol. Everyone is just sitting! :(

I don't get people. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back