Why do women carry a purse and not just a wallet?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not love handbags. I don't like them. If I'm going to waste money buying a bag at all, I'd better get something better than a handbag.

wannabeXL said:
ledchick said:
Purses are mysterious and you never know what will be found in one.......

Looks like the secret's out.

2208816398_9582fc9e6f.jpg

Holy honeysuckle. That's crazy. I have a bunch of Aldi's bags, a wash cloth, Walmart food receipts, one Walmart receipt for the red trash can I bought about 2 weeks ago, a pen, one of my mom's scripts, a new pack of Extra Classic Bubble, my wallet, and an anti-wrinkle chapstick, which I don't use because I don't have wrinkles. =/ But I do have a whole bunch of change. Probably like 10 dollars worth of change.

Really, it's not that much. >_>

I don't really care for handbags. I have one or two, and they were gifts; average size, affordable, non-designer bags. I went through a short phase of carrying one (for practical use, back when I had a job and was working), which I could put my cell phone, wallet, bits of everyday make-up, change, a small book or crossword puzzle, etc in it. Nowadays I just use my wallet, like I did before, although I can't fit it into my pockets, so I usually just carry it around or take it with me in my car.

In my purse I have my gallaudet ID. Tons of cards I keep in a pounch in the front (like buisness cards, credit cards, insurance cards) a billfold, tons of reciept, change, my check book, a pen, a pad of paper (so I can write to people), my cell phone & it's charger.

Its just too awkward not to have a purse. All those things would be floating around freely in my backpack otherwize.

My purse is small. I actually need a slightly bigger one because my checkbook wont quite fit in the one I have now :l. But the one I have now is a hand-made bag i bought from a hindu shop in a mall. It has the throat chakra sign on it :)

But....what if we're wearing pants that have no pockets? Or a skirt? I really short one, with no pockets? :p
Then wtf are we supposed to do with our wallets? Oh, and not to mention if we're a MOM! What would I do with my tissues (you HAVE to have tissues when you're a MOM), my crayons and coloring page (for when we're out and she gets bored), her potty "neat-seats" for when she has to go potty (you CANT let your child sit on public toilets =\...), hand sanitizer, and a plethora of other kid-related paraphernalia?? :p

Yeah, I'm a mom - I've got hand sanitizer, kleenex, moist wipes, crayons, a mini First Aid kit with Hello Kitty bandaids, anti-itch cream and other things. Plus all the necessary "emergency female items," and I don't mean makeup, though there's plenty of that as well. I have emergency safety pins for when a hem falls or a button pops off. I have a mini eyeglass repair kit.

I also always keep a notebook for when inspiration strikes me. I often have my calendar as well, plus several pens and pencils. Rounding out the list is about 7 pounds of loose change in the bottom of my purse.

I think women don't use wallets because they don't want to stuff something in the back pocket of their jeans. They want people to be able to see their butt without having that bulging pocket obstructing the curves. :p

lol but seriously...I think what cheaptrickfan said is pretty much it. Most women that I've known have carried TONS of stuff around with them...and it's just impossible to carry all of that stuff around in a wallet. :)

----Steve

yesm said:
Mcguyver shoulda had a purse... coulda had like a nice survival kit in there

Get messed!! Macgyver doesn't need a survival kit. He IS the survival kit!

An archist said:
yesm said:
Mcguyver shoulda had a purse... coulda had like a nice survival kit in there

Get messed!! Macgyver doesn't need a survival kit. He IS the survival kit!

In Soviet Russa you dont eat the food, the food eats you! O_O

В России Cоветской, пища - водка.

In Soviet Russia, the food is VODKA. :D

----Steve

By the way, a lot of women's pants don't have pockets!! Back when I didn't carry a purse, I was buying men's pants. One day, I was like, "Forget this mess. I'm carrying a purse!" I don't use pathetic little ones, though. My purse is large enough for me to hide in, if I run out of weapons.

Badjedidude said:
В России Cоветской, пища - водка.

In Soviet Russia, the food is VODKA. :D

----Steve

I hear the alcoholism rate is quite high in Russia so this is probably truer than it first appears :p

Soph said:
I hear the alcoholism rate is quite high in Russia so this is probably truer than it first appears

LOL yeah, in the WEST they call it alcoholism. In Russia they call it light drinking. In fact, I'm not sure there is such a concept as alcoholism as a disease in Russian culture. I don't think there is a Russian word for it. :p

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Soph said:
I hear the alcoholism rate is quite high in Russia so this is probably truer than it first appears

LOL yeah, in the WEST they call it alcoholism. In Russia they call it light drinking. In fact, I'm not sure there is such a concept as alcoholism as a disease in Russian culture. I don't think there is a Russian word for it. :p

----Steve

So basically Russians right now are poor alcoholics. And the alcoholism is really having a bad impact on the russian economy. Its like an epidemic that is paralyzing the nation. :S

Moscow - Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is campaigning for more sobriety in his country and has launched a large-scale offensive against excessive vodka consumption. Putin wants to reduce the level of alcohol consumption by half by the year 2020. "Vodka can turn any person into a Russian!" is a popular drinking toast and is an indication that drinking vodka is widely accepted in Russian society. Hardly any social occasion takes place without vodka, no business meeting would be complete without some kind of distilled liquor and no family gathering without Russian sparkling wine.

It is quite common to see men on their way home from a day's work stopping off at a kiosk to buy a bottle of beer. Russian leaders have also been known to be fond of a drop. Former leader Boris Yeltsin, who died in 2007, was famed for his love of vodka.

Beer, sparkling wine and above all vodka are Russians' favourite beverages 'Äì as well their biggest burden. The citizens of St Petersburg and Vladivostok consume about 18 litres of pure alcohol a year. In comparison, another nationality known for its fondness for things alcoholic -- the Germans -- drink about 12 litres per annum.

Alcohol addiction has seriously scarred Russian society and it has even been blamed for Russia's declining population. The mortality rate from alcohol addiction in Russia is far higher than in Western Europe. According to official figures, eight Russians die every hour from drinking alcohol to excess. The annual death rate is over 75,000. These figures have spurred Putin to pursue his initiative.

"Vodka is healthy. I don't understand what the problem is," says Natalya. The sales assistant is standing in front of a battery of vodka bottles in a shop in Moscow. "Of course you should drink sensibly," adds Natalya after some thought. Perhaps her eye was caught by a sign beside the vodka shelves forbidding alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.

Before Putin's campaign consumers could buy cheap vodka from street vendors, some of whom had watered down the spirit with anti-freeze. Last year an estimated 750 million litres of vodka was produced illegally. Since then Putin has imposed a minimum price for vodka.

A half litre bottle now costs at least 89 rouble 'Äì about three dollars 'Äì over the counter. Putin's aim is to send a warning signal to the public that they should beware of cheap vodka which is probably adulterated and dangerous. Another goal is to encourage vodka lovers to buy a better class of product.

Russia's President Dimitry Medvedev declared war on drunkenness when he came into office in May 2008. Health officials had made repeated calls for effective measures to combat alcoholism, however, there is little to show for that.

Russia is now banning alcohol from sport and leisure facilities and Putin has ordered the health ministry to spend 11 million dollars on an awareness campaign. The Kremlin is also giving a further 12.5 million dollars to regional governments to invest in medical equipment.

It appears that Putin is taking the issue seriously but his critics have warned that raising the price of vodka will only drive more Russians to buy cheap vodka that has been mixed with industrial alcohol.

Putin is putting his personal popularity on the line in his struggle against what he has called the "national catastrophe." The example set by the Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980s should be a warning. Gorbachev tried to fight alcoholism with a prohibition but after massive protest he had to quickly roll back on his campaign.

Nevertheless, there is a great need for Russia to deal with the problem. A growing number of Russians are turning to drink because of the global economic downturn with the aim of forgetting their problems in a cloud of alcohol. As a result sales of vodka grew by five per cent in 2009 compared to the year before.

Original Article Link: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/308616,russia-steps-up-campaign-against-alcoholism.html

Soph said:
Its like an epidemic that is paralyzing the nation.

Nawww... that's the least of Russia's problems right now.

I don't know...it's not really a disease for them. Their entire culture holds a very different view on drinking. To them, it's not degenerate at all to end up stumbling around tripping over nothing after an evening meal. That's an extreme example, though. They don't all drink that much...but those that do aren't really seen as having PROBLEMS or being sick or diseased.

EDIT: That's an interesting article, Sophster...but there's a big difference between what the government advocates and what the people (culture) believe and practice. :)

----Steve

Lol I don't need to. I've been to former USSR republics and I've talked to (and drank with) lots of Russians. :p I'm giving you first-hand accounts of what their culture believes and practices.

----Steve

P.S. Russians can DRINK. @_@ Don't ever let one challenge you to a drinking contest. I can hold my liquor, but...****.

Latest posts

Back