Why does society look suspiciously upon the loner?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the "walking aimlessly with a camera" thing is cool. I'm guessing the coolest photos are of scenes you just happen to come across.

I never EVER have my camera... When there happens to be a really awesome picture to take. I missed out on a lot with not having my camera....

Yeah, if some guy is walking around by himself with a camera snapping pictures, then yes i am going to think that is weird and suspicious. So, if you don't WANT people to look at you that way, then don't act that way. If you do, that's on you.

However if people stopped judging people by one simple act, or even a hobby... They'd realize they do not need to be so paranoid.

Brianna-1982 said:
The Wikipedia Loner entry says:

The modern term "loner" can be used with a negative connotation[3] in the belief that human beings are social creatures and those that do not participate are deviant.[4][5]

I have always wondered why society views the loner type person as somebody that needs help or has a personality disorder. Obviously that can be true sometimes; Certain loners do need help, but others might have perfectly justifiable reasons for needing isolation.

What do you think about this? To what extent are human beings social creatures?

Because loners are usually douchebags.

Standing around in the mall snapping pics isn't a hobby. Sometimes you have to look at your own behavior and how it makes people feel as well.

So, having friends and not being a loner means you are 'incapable of thinking for you yourself"? Um yeah, perhaps losing the attitude would make you seem more appealing. Sheesh.

If folks don't have a problem with me, I don't have a problem with them. Respect is a two-way street. If people insist that I adopt all cultural norms without question, then I feel disrespected.

Not sure why society gets on the loners, but I believe some people view them as being odd or thinking that they'll do something extreme. In High School I was pretty quiet and didn't talk to that many people cause I had a hard time trusting anyone. Lots of people stayed away from me, cause I believe deep down they thought I'd do something crazy. Lots of people judge others so easily these days but I try not to let it bother me. Now I'm a little bit more social than I was growing up but I'm still a loner.

One day I was having a conversation with my mother awhile back and she told me she thinks it's good that I'm picky on who I talk too and can understand why I keep to myself most of the time. Think for some people though it's hard for them to understand and that's why there so quick to judge.

Lady Gaga Snerd said:
Standing around in the mall snapping pics isn't a hobby. Sometimes you have to look at your own behavior and how it makes people feel as well.

So, having friends and not being a loner means you are 'incapable of thinking for you yourself"? Um yeah, perhaps losing the attitude would make you seem more appealing. Sheesh.

So... Everyone who has a camera, stands around in a mall...? Not sure how a place is relevant. I've seen wicked pictures done by people who WERE standing in the mall. And in national parks. In their own yards. Middle of nowhere.

Some people are incapable of thinking for themselves. Not sure they meant EVERY person with friends. I have friends. Not many, but I do. And I sure as Hell think for myself.

You seem to tend to jump to conclusions, and just assume of people on here. It's quite disheartening.

Senamian said:
Lady Gaga Snerd said:

So... Everyone who has a camera, stands around in a mall...? Not sure how a place is relevant. I've seen wicked pictures done by people who WERE standing in the mall. And in national parks. In their own yards. Middle of nowhere.

Some people are incapable of thinking for themselves. Not sure they meant EVERY person with friends. I have friends. Not many, but I do. And I sure as Hell think for myself.

You seem to tend to jump to conclusions, and just assume of people on here. It's quite disheartening.

Um, no. I am responding the conclusions that were jumped too. The one that being a loner means you can "think for yourself" somehow implying that others who are not loners do not. So, i would suggest a more thorough reading of my posts.

I can't get past all the i's.

Lady Gaga Snerd said:
Senamian said:
Lady Gaga Snerd said:

Um, no. I am responding the conclusions that were jumped too. The one that being a loner means you can "think for yourself" somehow implying that others who are not loners do not. So, i would suggest a more thorough reading of my posts.

I try... I really do. But I can't get past all the i's.....

I don't feel like thoroughly reading negativity. Sorry.

Alientated: Beware the i in alienated. The i's are surely everywhere.

Latest posts

Back