Windows 7 or vista..?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suddenly I have to use xp, vista and win 7 and only I can use is xp... I do not know what I should know about vista and win 7. That is kind of funny, lol like is there a differences between vista and win 7, I have not noticed that at all lol.

I got Windows 7 Enterprize on my laptop about a month ago and love it! Windows Vista is a joke. Oh Microsoft...

Ubuntu/Linux is way better than anything Microsoft is coming out with.

Funny how Windows seems to be growing exponentially in size and requirements to run it with each new OS developed. Sure, computers are also coming out with 2-4GB RAM and 1.6Ghz (and more) processors these days... but really, there's no need for an operating system to be as large or demanding as Windows 7 is. There's no reason for it at all.

You can run Ubuntu on a machine with about 256MB RAM and 300Mhz processor (min. requirements), and it does the same (or better) job that Windows 7 does. Oh, AND it comes with an OpenOffice suite (which is compatible with all Microsoft Office document types), so you don't need to spend an extra $200 or more for retarded Microsoft Office honeysuckle.

lol

rant over.

Samuel said:
I just hope 7 is better than Vista.

VISTA SUCKS!!!

I still use XP Pro.

I've used Windows 7 and it's is a lot better then Windows Vista. When I get enough money I will buy Windows 7: Ultimate or Pro. The only thing is that I miss the Windows XP icons.

You will see much improvements on Windows 7 compared to Vista.

Badjedidude said:
Ubuntu/Linux is way better than anything Microsoft is coming out with.

You can run Ubuntu on a machine with about 256MB RAM and 300Mhz processor (min. requirements), and it does the same (or better) job that Windows 7 does. Oh, AND it comes with an OpenOffice suite (which is compatible with all Microsoft Office document types), so you don't need to spend an extra $200 or more for retarded Microsoft Office honeysuckle.

oh man you know how crap GNOME is on old hardware? Yea try running an update to date Ubuntu distro on something with old hardware. GNOME and KDE are such hogs. Windows XP ran better on a 256mb, P2 than GNOME. Fluxbox + Arch though has been quite good to me.

It depends on your idea of "old." :p Anything pre-1998 is probably going to need a great gob of tender-luvin' to work with GNOME.

For the really really old stuff (1991-1997), I generally stick with smaller distros like Puppy or DSL. :p

I use Windows 7 Home Premium

This is a new computer and thats what it came with.

I really dont see the difference between operating systems, or different browsers - I never had any issue with anything, ever

I would probably still use Windows 98 if it is what the computer came with.

All I do is surf the innerweb and DL Torrents

I also have 3 GB Ram, so that may be it...

I used window 7, its nice operating system. Great speed of this operating system. I have there are lots of themes, wallpapers, task bars etc being created based on Windows 7 for Windows Vista.

ok, here is one persons take on all this...

neither of those is really a great choice. though, whatever you buy will almost certainly have one of the two pre-installed. this might sound really odd to everyone, but if you're going for a microsoft product at all, i'd step all the way back to XP pro.

now, having said that, what if i told you that you could get a better product for free? here are links to a couple of websites you should check out.

first is the free software foundation
www.fsf.org

second is a site called distro watch
www.distrowatch.com

a linux/gnu distribution like "fedora" is very user friendly even for beginners. there is somewhat of a learning curve, but there is also tons of online documentation available, as well as lots of people out there that will gladly help in the spirit of linux, gnu, and open source software.

If you're going to argue for open source software, it's generally better not to include the FSF zealots.

oarivan said:
If you're going to argue for open source software, it's generally better not to include the FSF zealots.

hmm, zealots eh? kind of pejorative don't you think? i didn't say one has to agree with everything that they say, only to be aware that such a thing even exists.

ever look at the source code? you'll find that GNU GPL license in a whole lot of programs that do extremely useful things. programs with the same functionality as those that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars.

maybe you don't use open source personally, and that's fine. the FSF does help keep open source open and free. before you knock them take a moment to think about what you're saying. i'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you've visited more than one website or sent more than one email in your life then there is a very good chance a linux server running GNU GPL'd programs was involved. if so, then those zealots helped make your day better, didn't they?

eris said:
I dont know what the last 3 posts in this thread even mean

*sigh*

well, before microsoft windows was even a glint in bill gates eyes there existed an operating system called unix. linux is a freely available "clone" of unix. what this all means is that there are more choices for a computer operating system than windows vista or 7 (let us not forget mac either).

you can only listen to people say things like, "7 is better", "no vista is good", "hey i'm still using XP and think it's great", so many times before you have to throw out something else, dig?

beguiled said:
hmm, zealots eh? kind of pejorative don't you think? i didn't say one has to agree with everything that they say, only to be aware that such a thing even exists.

ever look at the source code? you'll find that GNU GPL license in a whole lot of programs that do extremely useful things. programs with the same functionality as those that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars.

maybe you don't use open source personally, and that's fine. the FSF does help keep open source open and free. before you knock them take a moment to think about what you're saying. i'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you've visited more than one website or sent more than one email in your life then there is a very good chance a linux server running GNU GPL'd programs was involved. if so, then those zealots helped make your day better, didn't they?

Hahaha... you have NO idea who you're talking to. :p

Badjedidude said:
beguiled said:

Hahaha... you have NO idea who you're talking to. :p

oh, i'm sure scared now! really, what does that even mean? do you think that i care even a little bit? i just remembered exactly why i don't like talking to people, most of them are absolutely intractable. i simply point out that you can get a pretty decent operating system for free and end up getting into a flame war. "no, free stuff sucks and people help make that stuff free are zealots", that's about the extent of the other guys argument. then you post back trying to, what exactly, scare me or something? gee whiz, i'll be sure not voice my opinion again because someone else doesn't like it.

this conversation is stupid and pointless, so goodbye.

Wow, beguiled, you really assumed A LOT in BJD's 8 words that ended with a smiley face. You are REALLY defensive FOR NO REASON

And you also assumed that I dont know what a computer is because im joking about all the technical jargon. Do you assume everyone is stupid, or something ?

Well, I know what a computer is, dig ?

Great job.

eris said:
Wow, beguiled, you really assumed A LOT in BJD's 8 words that ended with a smiley face. You are REALLY defensive FOR NO REASON

And you also assumed that I dont know what a computer is because im joking about all the technical jargon. Do you assume everyone is stupid, or something ?

Well, I know what a computer is, dig ?

Great job.

really defensive for no reason? what does "hahaha... you have NO idea who you're talking to" imply to you? i assume nothing in that statement. smiley face or not, it certainly doesn't read as friendly to me. would anyone else like to throw in their two cents? i'd love a second or third opinion on this one. was i actually speaking with some computer god and didn't realize it?

anyway. no, i don't assume that everyone is stupid or that you don't know what a computer is. obviously you do, as you used one to post the message. you did say "i have no idea what the last three posts mean", so i did assume that you'd never heard of unix or linux before. i used computers for years before someone gave me a copy of linux one day, it was the first time i'd ever heard of it. i only learned of unix after reading up on linux. maybe it was a bad assumption, but it seemed reasonable. unix is old, but not really well known outside of IT administrators. linux is gaining popularity, but most people have only heard the name in passing, if at all.

anyway, i didn't mean for that to come across as insulting to you if that's how you took it. dig? :) (there's a smile for you, i almost never say dig)

Latest posts

Back