Windows 7 or vista..?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beguiled said:
oarivan said:
If you're going to argue for open source software, it's generally better not to include the FSF zealots.

hmm, zealots eh? kind of pejorative don't you think? i didn't say one has to agree with everything that they say, only to be aware that such a thing even exists.

ever look at the source code? you'll find that GNU GPL license in a whole lot of programs that do extremely useful things. programs with the same functionality as those that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars.

maybe you don't use open source personally, and that's fine. the FSF does help keep open source open and free. before you knock them take a moment to think about what you're saying. i'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you've visited more than one website or sent more than one email in your life then there is a very good chance a linux server running GNU GPL'd programs was involved. if so, then those zealots helped make your day better, didn't they?

I have no issue with open source software itself. Over the course of my work though I've had to go to conventions and meet people. Some of the people I've found the most annoying to talk to are FSF folks. There's no arguing that FSF has done significant work to push Linux and OSS to the forefront but they've hurt it almost as much. We're talking about a bunch of people that like to push their ideology to annoying levels in the name of "freedom"

That being said I'm not arguing against OSS but I just can't stand the FSF/RMS folks. It's a personal opinion I have against the FSF from my experiences with them. I can have a long discussion about any *nix but once the FSF is mentioned (Give the OSI some love please), my blood boils. Don't go thinking I'm bashing your choice of Linux. ArchLinux is my poison and I love using it for recreation.

oarivan said:
beguiled said:
oarivan said:
If you're going to argue for open source software, it's generally better not to include the FSF zealots.

hmm, zealots eh? kind of pejorative don't you think? i didn't say one has to agree with everything that they say, only to be aware that such a thing even exists.

ever look at the source code? you'll find that GNU GPL license in a whole lot of programs that do extremely useful things. programs with the same functionality as those that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars.

maybe you don't use open source personally, and that's fine. the FSF does help keep open source open and free. before you knock them take a moment to think about what you're saying. i'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you've visited more than one website or sent more than one email in your life then there is a very good chance a linux server running GNU GPL'd programs was involved. if so, then those zealots helped make your day better, didn't they?

I have no issue with open source software itself. Over the course of my work though I've had to go to conventions and meet people. Some of the people I've found the most annoying to talk to are FSF folks. There's no arguing that FSF has done significant work to push Linux and OSS to the forefront but they've hurt it almost as much. We're talking about a bunch of people that like to push their ideology to annoying levels in the name of "freedom"

That being said I'm not arguing against OSS but I just can't stand the FSF/RMS folks. It's a personal opinion I have against the FSF from my experiences with them. I can have a long discussion about any *nix but once the FSF is mentioned (Give the OSI some love please), my blood boils. Don't go thinking I'm bashing your choice of Linux. ArchLinux is my poison and I love using it for recreation.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, it's just zealots seems like a harsh term to me. you can look at almost anything and find people that could be considered zealots by someone else. you can easily consider microsoft the same way as a polar opposite to the FSF, right? for instance, the license on an OEM version of windows is really a pretty sad thing to read.

i don't have any personal experience with the FSF, i've only looked at their website a few times. however, as i said before, you see that license in lots of programs that do good and useful things... to that end, providing functionality to myself and others that often couldn't justify the expense of a non-free equivalent. basically what i was trying to say in the beginning is that it's a really nice thing that people wrote those free programs and that there is such a license to put on them.

beguiled said:
oh, i'm sure scared now! really, what does that even mean? do you think that i care even a little bit? i just remembered exactly why i don't like talking to people, most of them are absolutely intractable. i simply point out that you can get a pretty decent operating system for free and end up getting into a flame war. "no, free stuff sucks and people help make that stuff free are zealots", that's about the extent of the other guys argument. then you post back trying to, what exactly, scare me or something? gee whiz, i'll be sure not voice my opinion again because someone else doesn't like it.

this conversation is stupid and pointless, so goodbye.

and

beguiled said:
really defensive for no reason? what does "hahaha... you have NO idea who you're talking to" imply to you? i assume nothing in that statement. smiley face or not, it certainly doesn't read as friendly to me. would anyone else like to throw in their two cents? i'd love a second or third opinion on this one. was i actually speaking with some computer god and didn't realize it?

?

What the fresia is your problem?

I made a slightly teasing, mostly humorous comment and you respond with this? I wasn't trying to "scare" you. It was a simple comment. If you're going to overreact to everything people say to you, then maybe you shouldn't be here, eh?

Please, for your own sake, update your ******* attitude.

Badjedidude said:
beguiled said:
oh, i'm sure scared now! really, what does that even mean? do you think that i care even a little bit? i just remembered exactly why i don't like talking to people, most of them are absolutely intractable. i simply point out that you can get a pretty decent operating system for free and end up getting into a flame war. "no, free stuff sucks and people help make that stuff free are zealots", that's about the extent of the other guys argument. then you post back trying to, what exactly, scare me or something? gee whiz, i'll be sure not voice my opinion again because someone else doesn't like it.

this conversation is stupid and pointless, so goodbye.

and

beguiled said:
really defensive for no reason? what does "hahaha... you have NO idea who you're talking to" imply to you? i assume nothing in that statement. smiley face or not, it certainly doesn't read as friendly to me. would anyone else like to throw in their two cents? i'd love a second or third opinion on this one. was i actually speaking with some computer god and didn't realize it?

?

What the fresia is your problem?

I made a slightly teasing, mostly humorous comment and you respond with this? I wasn't trying to "scare" you. It was a simple comment. If you're going to overreact to everything people say to you, then maybe you shouldn't be here, eh?

Please, for your own sake, update your ******* attitude.

Ah. Arguments over Operating Systems. You just can't beat these. :p

duty_calls.png

^^^There IS no argument over operating systems, Soph. I think it's been established that we all said we prefer OSS.

The conflict was about an overreaction and an attitude problem.

It had nothing to do with talking about different operating systems.

lol

I think windows 7 is better then vista and vista is nieghter better then windows xp because vista has not been able to produce the quality like them.

*And one more again fail spam essay link*

From the my point of the view Windows 7 is batter because there are so many features available like Multiple Instances of Same Program. Automatic Changing of Desktop Wallpaper. Full 64-bit support. Direct Access Feature. Fast Booting.

That's not even a choice, the computer gods compel you to choose Windows 7.

If you want to buy a new laptop or PC, it is best thing but which OS is best for you? According to me Windows 7 is best instead of Vista. It has many new facilities with the comparison of Vista. We can not install many software in the Vista.

Neither!:p Go with good ol XP. My laptop would probably catch fire by running something as resource intensive as Windows 7 or even Vista

Windows 7! Vista really sucked for many people. I had it for awhile, and even though I didn't dislike it, W7 is much better IMO. XP and 7 are the best, but I miss the windows 95/98 days... XD

I use all 3 myself, Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu Linux

Well according to my point of view,I think that vista has a lot of promise, but over-reaching in all the wrong areas. Changed a wide range of infrastructure and operating models of the operating system at the same time, while not being nearly aggressive and to improve the interface.

Latest posts

Back