Wondering about guests who post once

• Thread starter Searching_4_My_Soul-Mate
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To respond to your inquiry: no, there may also be a type of forced loneliness.

What I intended to mean by socially "unique" was a courteous way of stating the many personality and social afflictions of those here.

AaronAgassi said:
Of course, conditions of ambivalence subverting the resolve to end loneliness can only be dealt with on their psychological level, one way or another. But is such the only sort of loneliness? Indeed, dare may I ask, exactly what does it mean to be socially "unique" in scare-quotes?

No, this is not what I meant. I would label most peoples' dilemnas on here neither overblown nor in their heads.
Robin said:
What Vortex mean with "unique" is that the people who come here most often have some sort of overblown dilemma in their heads which deny them to live a normal life.

Vortex, for prior context, Robin does not believe that any problems of loneliness are located in external reality, and that external reality should never be any focus of problem solving. He also believes that all emotional problems are amenable to motivational speaking pep talks alone.

I'm aware of his stance, but thank you.

AaronAgassi said:
Vortex, for prior context, Robin does not believe that any problems of loneliness are located in external reality, and that external reality should never be any focus of problem solving. He also believes that all emotional problems are amenable to motivational speaking pep talks alone.

AaronAgassi said:

No, that is actually 100% wrong. I have agreed with many to simply ignore You since You aren't worth to be debating with since the only things You are willing to discuss are thet things that You already believe in so strongly; You're not even helping Yourself since You won't let anything in behind Your box fort. "Pep-talks" don't solve anything, but they are a great way to make someone feel welcome. When are You going to stop comparing me to those who barely lift their fingers to assist anyone? Since You obviously are the most dumb person who ever came across this forum i won't waste any more time writing long posts trying to convice You that You time after time say the very opposit of the way i am and what i think. Everything is external, i've already said that several times, but that is nothing that we can do to help people change anything external with practical means, they have to do that themselves, which is what we should spend out time helping them with instead, including You and Your completely useless existance for a place like this.

1) Generally, one does debate advocating ones own position, and in areas of one's own interests or concerns. Is that unusual?

2) I, for one, do not feel welcomed by bogus pep talks. On the contrary. So, perhaps I am different. Or else, you don't know what real welcome is. I submit that real welcome might consist of acceptance in the form of genuine interest, at minimum.

3) I wouldn't know what else you do to assist others, save for motivation. I only know from what you tell me, Robin!

4) I am amazed that you insist that nothing can be done for others in regard to external problems. People assist and advise one another deal with external problems only every day! So, here we disagree, very specifically. And it will be necessary for you to register in your mind, that we do, indeed, disagree, and on this point in particular, in order to begin truly arguing, back and forth, instead of insensately repeating yourself, endlessly.

Yes, of course i understand how a debate functions, but since this is about helping people feel better isn't it also so that we should listen to and learn from others and try to create some form of middle-way? I only know from what You tell me, as well, and that is far from making something good of Your presence here as it could have been, simply because You are so incredibly stubborn, which is what a great deal of my definition of "dumb" stands for; not being able to learn anything from others because You're way is always better. Everything that we do here You have said something negative about, how they heck do You then think people are going to do anything else than flame You? You are the one who don't seem to want to come to an agreement of any form, but only keep pushing Your own ideas through without leaving room for anything else.

Well, You sure are quite different if You don't actually feel welcome when people try to welcome You, perhaps the only one who publically admitted this, so far, too. I don't understand what Your definition of "Pep-rally" actually means to 100%, but the threads that i've been posting in myself always has led to a much deeper interest of the thread-author's problems, either in that thread or via PM's which is a matter that You seem to have forgotten or never learned about.

You obviously aren't the slightest interested in finding out what i've done to assist others, for that matter, which is why i find Your lies about me so aggravating.

Seriously Aaron, could You perhaps show us what You so far have in store for Your idea of helping people? Could You reproduce an example and go to action? Since You have nothing but speculated about how much better it must be to do this Your way, how can You be so certain that it will even work at all? Why do You think nobody, including the one's here who truly spend many hours every day to help people (both on and off this forum) have gone near trying the method that You are cooking on? Is it because we're not caring enough? Because we simply aren't intelligent enough? Do You think that we do not try hard enough because none of us have been so rough in finding out an idea of how to help people with the external obstacles they have, as You have?

I say what i say because i can't find any other logical way of helping people, via this forum alone, than what i'm already doing. This is what You, obviously, have failed to explain even to the one's who truly do understand everything that You are writing. Since i don't find any logic in what You're trying to do, because i don't understand WHAT You are trying to do or how anything than what already is being done could help anyone, is there really a wonder that i and several others see You more as a predator promoting a website than someone who are trying to help anyone?

Of course there is endless repeat at a place like this; we have incoming folks posting their pretty inspecific first-posts of help every day. If the newcomer wants to get specific, we'll get specific with him/her. I do believe there actually is alot more going on behind the scenes, via PMs, than what's going on in the boards, all the time. I have almost twice as many PMs in my inbox than number of times i have posted, and i'm not even that popular.

You are more a mystery than an answer to anyone's pleas, that is why we (You probably know which people i mean by now) don't truly see You as an enemy, but Your attitude, mixed with Your knack to confuse, it's not easy to see what Your true intentions are.

No, I cannot provide you with any example of a discussion that I am still seeking to initiate, Robin.

Although, I do believe that you may discover that when I do offer advice, first I generally do attempt to engage in discussion seeking further details, and with any genuine interst, instead of simply jumping right in with more cliché and encouragement or commiseration. -And sometimes upon practical questions of real world challenges.

Ah, well I can tell you why I initially was planning to post and run. I think it is that weird need to be heard when you think no one else can hear you. Sometimes you have to decide if you want to hear people back. Strangely, it is sometimes that nameless post and run that at least for a few hours of your day might give you some relief.

What do you mean: "Not listening is an art". That sounds like there is any creativity, effort and positive result involved. To me "not listening" is the easiest way out, something which doesn't take any effort and which certainly doesn't contribute to anything.

The sophisticated manipulative tactics of not listening can be creative indeed! But, no, that hardly implies any constructive result to such destructive bahavior.

When I said
"Sometimes you have to decide if you want to hear people back"
I didn't stop to equate that to not listening. I don't know why, because that is what it is. But I don't think that is why people feel that way. I mean for myself when I decide if I want to hear people back it has to do more with isolation which ironically is definitely a way to make yourself more lonely.

I just had a major moment of clarity in myself. I am making my own situation worse. I am lonely and I know what I want, but because I feel lonely and sad I shut people that know me out. And now I am way off topic from the original post, but I abolutely know why people post and run because that is what I was planning on doing and I know exactly why I was going to do it.

Humph.

It is important to establish one's boundaries. Perhaps what you need is better criteria.

And you wouldn't be the first person to tell me that actually. I am reworking my criteria right now; I am sure that is why I feel off as a person.

On the whole I haven't changed much in most of my life. In fact people that know me would say that same thing and are even sort of weirded out by it. I am always interested when I meet people that tell me they are vastly different than they were 20 years ago. I wonder if I will ever change that much.

That being said, I do believe that I am in a personal time of some change and a change in criteria is a very good way of looking at it.

What, then, might make for more desirable criteria in accepting and rejecting contact?

For example. I just realized in myself that I reject contact because as a person when I am sad I prefer to be left alone; however, by rejecting contact not only am I keeping myself alone, but I am not being sensitive to the needs of others.

Say I am having a bad day. My friend calls; I see their number, I hear them on the answering machine, but I decide to screen it because I am having a "bad day." This has two negative outcomes - a. they cannot rely on me, b. I am further isolating myself.

Lately I am trying to answer the phone regardless of my day and I can chose to be honest or not that I am really really down, but at least I am not closing out the friends I have. They are all people that deserve to be cherished and cared for.

This is actually a big realization for me. I am rotten, ROTTEN under stress. It is totally how I cope to completely shut down. I always saw it as a lifesaving skill; but I never stopped to think about how rude it was to the people in my life.

Of course, you could always call them back later. -And even make sure to do so, not just to procrastinate. But striking while the iron is hot and reaching out for help when you actually most need it may be advantagious.

Yah, I am ashamed to admit there was a time I didn't even call back. Maybe a month ago a friend that has known me for years asked if something went wrong would I even tell them about it? It got me thinking about my behavior and the meaning of being a friend.

I am learning that reaching out for help when I most need it does really pay off - and I don't mean only connecting to dump on someone. I didn't like it at first because I tend to be publically very unemotional. It meant that people who had known me forever and never seen or heard me cry got to experience that. But in the entire scheme of things - it didn't kill me and honestly I think it has strengthened some of my friendships.

Latest posts

Back