Your Favorite Game of All Time?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a specific list of all of my favorites by genre:

Action Adventure: Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Beat Em' Up: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

Fighting Game: Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

Hack and Slash: Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition.

JRPG: Not exactly my favorite genre, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Xenogears, as the battle system was a lot of fun and the plot and characters had more invested into them than a lot of other Squaresoft games from what I remember.

Multiplayer FPS: I remember having the most fun with Call of Duty 4 back in its heyday.

Racing: Haven't played many in this genre, but I remember having fun with Burnout 3: Takedown on PS2.

Single Player FPS: Haven't played enough to make a decision.

Stealth: Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Strategy RPG: The Front Mission Series, a series that unfortunately was never given a chance by Squaresoft of Japan for localization simply because they thought we were "too stupid for strategy games." Thanks to this, most of the Front Mission series of games that are in English is thanks to fan translations. In any case, I loved the detail that Square put into the universe's world, complete with an actual in-game Internet in the 2nd and 3rd entries!

Survival Horror: Resident Evil 2.

Third-Person Shooter: Gears of War series.

WRPG: Mass Effect Trilogy. (This could change...)

Ikarmue said:
Topic.

My favorite is Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Every time I play this game, I always try something new, be it using only punches and kicks, using magic attacks like nothing else, or trying to beat the game as fast as I can. While I am certainly no speedrunner, I am still good at playing through a game at a really fast pace. Not to mention, this is the game that made me want to play video games like crazy more than 10 years ago.

What is your favorite game(s) and why?

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on the original Xbox, being able to make choices that effect the game, be light or dark side, great story and it made great replay value.

It's difficult to say, I have literally played thousands of video games and comparing one genre to another is almost entirely impossible. I can however make a shortlist based upon many different criteria.

Phantasy Star Online Series (v1, v2, Ep 1&2, Blue Burst, PS0, PSP1, PSP2)
Borderlands 2
Morrowind
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Shenmue 1&2
Osu! Tatake! Ouendan
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Frontier: Elite II
Super Mario World
Deadly Premonition
The Walking Dead - Season 1
Demon's Souls
Heavy Rain

Yeah, all I've learned from this is that it's an impossible question and I apologise for even attempting to answer it.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX
Star Ocean 2
Ocarina of Time
Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind (with the MGSO graphics overhaul)
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age Origins
Planescape Torment
LA Noire

Trying to play through Dragon Age: Inquisition atm. Surprised how good it is, given all the hate over the internet.

ardour said:
Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX
Star Ocean 2
Ocarina of Time
Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind (with the MGSO graphics overhaul)
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age Origins
Planescape Torment
LA Noire

Trying to play through Dragon Age: Inquisition atm. Surprised how good it is, given all the hate over the internet.

The Mass Effect series was great, though I was let down by 3, it was not a bad game, but a lot of the things that they said would be in it wasn't, and the ending you could tell was rushed, the free DLC helped, but just overall it needed a longer development time which I blame EA for.

Dragon Age Origins also a great game from Bioware, but 2 was rushed and meh, the third one was a lot better, I just kinda hated that it was a bad port to Xbox 360 from the next gen consoles, I wish they would have developed a non port version for the older consoles, but I am sure that would have cost more money and again EA isn't going to do that.

Majora's Mask, but that is at serious risk of being toppled by the Witcher 3 which I am absolutely bloody loving at the minute.

RickSanchez said:
Majora's Mask, but that is at serious risk of being toppled by the Witcher 3 which I am absolutely bloody loving at the minute.

...different tastes. I'm trying to give it a chance, but I just can't get into the world or role-playing Geralt. Dialogue is well written - It would make a nice low fantasy drama series similar to Game of Thrones.

Nuke1967 said:
The Mass Effect series was great, though I was let down by 3, it was not a bad game, but a lot of the things that they said would be in it wasn't, and the ending you could tell was rushed, the free DLC helped, but just overall it needed a longer development time which I blame EA for.

They sure know how to ruin a good thing but in this case it was one of the best things and they ruined it too. Oh well, let's hope they don't do the same with upcoming title.

PenDragon said:
Nuke1967 said:

They sure know how to ruin a good thing but in this case it was one of the best things and they ruined it too. Oh well, let's hope they don't do the same with upcoming title.

I used to kinda of shrug when I heard all the hate toward EA, but in the last 4 years or so I can see what people are talking about, when they bought Bioware and the rush jobs on some of their best gaming series and the Sim City 5 debacle which they ruined that title probably forever, and I loved Sim City.

GTA V but I'm a fan of the GTA series, so I like most of them almost as much as V.

Morrowind. I can think of a few others that would be close as well. UFO: Enemy Unknown (original), Star Wars: TIE Fighter, KOTOR 1.

Reflecting on my choices I've realized one thing that they all have in common. An awesome soundtrack.

surely they're can't just be one overall?!

I just remember epic moments from different genres , one of my favorites:

gears of war 1 final boss - using the zoom weapon for a headshot, loved this!

I simply can't name only one game, so here's a (relatively) short list of my favourite games of all time:

- Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy: While NOT my favourite game of the list (mostly because it is plainly vanilla on its own), it IS obviously the game I spent the most time with. I had played it for literally years, with shorter and longer breaks. I even learnt how to make mods (skins, maps) thanks to this.

- Jade Cocoon: One of my old time favourites on Playstation. Not only the first game involved Studio Ghibli, but also a stunning, atmospheric japanese Role-Playing Game with a great story in a greater world. Did I tell you that it has Monster Catching AND Monster Fusion either?

- Azure Dreams: Another underrated gem from the same console. An incredibly hardcore rougelike, where you not only can hatch your companions from eggs, but also has dating sim and town management elements too. Hard learning curve and bull**** random events, but if you learn it, you will enjoy it.

- Pokémon Gold & Silver: Not the first Pokémon game I've ever played, but the one that I have the most memories with. I literally played 1000+ hours with it until the battery went out of power.

- Soulcalibur III: This game is my favourite from the series. More casual-oriented, more serious than the other entires, and also has an incredible single-player content, like custom stories and character creator.

- Journey (PS3): Even though this wasn't the first art game I've ever played with, but it IS one of those games that will change your life after you've played it. No art game can be on the same level as this one (Ori and the Blind Forest is a close second, though.)

I love most of the games you play gluguy! Great taste.

I myself can not pick just one so here goes.

Tekken 3 (PS1.) - It wasn't my first fighting game, but the only that really appealed to me at the time. I was insanely inlove with the series and went as far back as to collect 1 through 6, including the games that weren't invoked in the story, like Tekken Tag, Etc.

The Sims Bustin Out (PS2) - The Sims Franchise actaully helped me become more social when it came to people, so growing up i was a huge collector of the sims games. (Still am. I should show you guys a picture of the collection, have an entire shelf full! Quite a proud collection. But the reason i choose this game is because it had a fun concept and it wasn't so serious, i loved how dorky it was and it really took me away from most games i use to play.

Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time (N64) - Possibly a game i still to this day love to play. Link was my childhood hero growing up, And i love cosplaying as him to this day. It was my first Zelda game and i must admit it was really most of my weekend hours as a kid.

Battle Arena Battle Arena Toshiden 3 (PS1) - Another fighter, this was the best fighter for me as a kid. Not the best graphic wise but back then it wasn't all about the grapics, the fighting style was so cool and it was the first fighting game i played that had weapons. Whips, Chains, Swords, Rock hammers. (ROCKHAMMERS!?) But it was so cool and it made late nights where i stayed up late really fun.

Hearted said:
I love most of the games you play gluguy! Great taste.

I myself can not pick just one so here goes.

Tekken 3 (PS1.) - It wasn't my first fighting game, but the only that really appealed to me at the time. I was insanely inlove with the series and went as far back as to collect 1 through 6, including the games that weren't invoked in the story, like Tekken Tag, Etc.

The Sims Bustin Out (PS2) - The Sims Franchise actaully helped me become more social when it came to people, so growing up i was a huge collector of the sims games. (Still am. I should show you guys a picture of the collection, have an entire shelf full! Quite a proud collection. But the reason i choose this game is because it had a fun concept and it wasn't so serious, i loved how dorky it was and it really took me away from most games i use to play.

Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time (N64) - Possibly a game i still to this day love to play. Link was my childhood hero growing up, And i love cosplaying as him to this day. It was my first Zelda game and i must admit it was really most of my weekend hours as a kid.

Battle Arena Battle Arena Toshiden 3 (PS1) - Another fighter, this was the best fighter for me as a kid. Not the best graphic wise but back then it wasn't all about the grapics, the fighting style was so cool and it was the first fighting game i played that had weapons. Whips, Chains, Swords, Rock hammers. (ROCKHAMMERS!?) But it was so cool and it made late nights where i stayed up late really fun.

Thanks! Also, I like your choices of games, especially Toshinden. While I always preferred Bushido Blade, Tekken 2 and Soul Blade (Soul Edge) for PSX, Toshinden IS actually one underrated series, which may be "outdated" in some ways even PSX standards, it had a really interesting character pool and overall idea for a fighting game. Another game that's actually really similar is Cardinal Syn: mediocre game with INCREDIBLY good ideas and one of the best character rosters I've ever seen in a fighting game.

Latest posts

Back