are some people too broken to have a significant other?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey dude you just have to find the right person there is a perfect person for everyone

I've wondered this about myself, to be honest. I think, with me, it's less to do with me being "broken" as it is to do with me being a bit undisciplined and immature, as well as my exacting personality coming into play. I've had flings and friends with benefits, but no one good enough for me to consider "relationship material". But then again, with everything going on with my life at the moment (work, school, etc.), I'm really not at all serious about trying to look for a significant other anyway, so... :rolleyes:

Thinking that you're too broken to have a significant other is a sure way to never have a significant other. Saying which, I do believe that I'm too broken and messed up a person to ever have a significant other. I don't know how human relationships work.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
Thinking that you're too broken to have a significant other is a sure way to never have a significant other. Saying which, I do believe that I'm too broken and messed up a person to ever have a significant other. I don't know how human relationships work.

Very true, but you also have to prove to the other person that you are relationship material...

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:

Very true, but you also have to prove to the other person that you are relationship material...

But I'm not relationship material. I'd be a nightmare. I wouldn't recommend myself to anyone I like. I'd either be insecure and clingy or insecure and distant. I'm better off alone. Saying which, I know that if anyone showed me the slightest bit of affection I'd be like a puppy rolling on it's back and begging you to rub it's tummy. But I'd probably feel ashamed of myself.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:

But I'm not relationship material. I'd be a nightmare. I wouldn't recommend myself to anyone I like. I'd either be insecure and clingy or insecure and distant. I'm better off alone. Saying which, I know that if anyone showed me the slightest bit of affection I'd be like a puppy rolling on it's back and begging you to rub it's tummy. But I'd probably feel ashamed of myself.

This.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:

Not being judgmental at all, but shouldnt you give the other person a right to make an opinion? Dont decide for him/her.
The person one is with has all the rights to decline, leave, stay, or anything. His or Her choice. you can choose to be with them freely. Shoulnt they have the same chance?

ladyforsaken said:
WishingWell said:
I don't want to have a significant other at this time. Does that mean I am broken?

Not at all. Nothing wrong or broken with that.

I agree. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. It's not necessary to have a significant other. It's just nice in some moments.

Well I don't know if I would use the word broken to describe my situation but I'm sure my past relationships have affected how I get into new ones. I hate to admit I may have baggage but I probably do. My previous bf gave me trust issues and insecurities. I'm trying really hard to change them and I'm staying out of dating to give myself time to heal. I would agree with others that its possible to still find relationships though. I mean if psychopaths can find each other, broken people shouldn't have a problem ;-) and if you find another broken person you can help each other heal...if that makes sense.

I don't know. I'm beginning to think that. I'm a geek, can be shy and socially awkward. I'm not manly like other guys girls would go for.

It seems I have no personality due to the above. Plus I get depressed about being lonely. It's a downward spiral. I think I'm broken to some extent. Maybe I'm hoping a relationship can fix that and that's not the way to be.

I feel I am. I can't really take care of myself too well so how would I handle someone else. Sometimes I feel courageous and try to meet someone but it never pans out. Or I do start to talk to someone and decide to meet up and I chicken out. It's like the scene in Swingers when Mike gets the number and is already breaking up with the girl that exact same night. I put up road blocks before anything even starts in my life no matter what it is.

Some of us have become so scared and resentful of the opposite sex.

I find the most minor thing, like not a returning a smile in one instance, can take you from being on good terms with somebody, to them hating you and never speaking to you again. It like you can't go through any personal turmoils or just have a bad day without people judging you for it.

It's up to you to prove your worth to others but nobody bothers to try and understand you. They can be as rude you they like and still expect you to want to talk to them, but you have to be outgoing and friendly at all times, otherwise that's it - never talk again!

That's a persistent feature of the perpetually lonely imo; they're always assumed to be the 'lesser' in any relationship.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I am beginning to believe that I am simply too broken to get into a relationship.

I don't see anybody finding me attractive enough to date, first of all. And second, I don't see myself being a good boyfriend. I think I would be terrible in bed, too.

Does anybody else feel this way?

At least I am. I don't think I could ever find someone who understands my pain, my issues and my past.

Broken? No. Unorthodox, yes. Either way I pretty much live through the internet and rarely see people in person so I guess I just gave up on the idea somewhere along the way.

lmph8885 said:
At least I am. I don't think I could ever find someone who understands my pain, my issues and my past.

I don't know if that's worse or better than finding someone who does understand.

I think based on past bad experiences with the opposite sex someone can become too jaded.

Latest posts

Back