Learning something new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned a quicker way to cancel out specific characters in a string without having to write a whole function for it.

I learned that killing every named NPC in Fallout New Vegas and many, many generic unnamed NPC's doesn't really change the ending that much.

9006 said:
I learned a quicker way to cancel out specific characters in a string without having to write a whole function for it.

Pfft, I did this.

10 Print "Hello ";
20 Goto 10

Boom!

Edward W said:
Pfft, I did this.

10 Print "Hello ";
20 Goto 10

Boom!

What elementry language is this? Looks more like a loop to me.

When looking up interactions for my father's BP med, I learned that a fruit called a Seville orange (also known as bitter orange) can enhance its potency because it contains a chemical that interferes with its breakdown, as well as that of other drugs. Grapefruit juice is another, as is more commonly known. And limes could also be problematic. Not that my dad eats any of these fruits, so nothing to worry about. Interesting, though.

Edward W said:
9006 said:
Edward W said:
Pfft, I did this.

10 Print "Hello ";
20 Goto 10

Boom!

What elementry language is this? Looks more like a loop to me.

What I recall from Sinclair BASIC, the ol' ZX Spectrum.

Hilarious! Do you remember AMOS on the Commodore? That was the very first program language I learned.

I learned that a histogram of an image's gradients follows very closely an exponential decay function. Very unfortunate. I was hoping for some really obvious peak I can use to choose the thresholds.

Also I learned it's a good idea to normalize the gradient filters according to the estimated blur in the specific direction.

I learned today that this forum has members who speak in a language I do not understand. But it makes them sound like geniuses so I'm happy anyway :)

There's a difference between dating and being in a relationship. A thread on here brought it to my attention. I figured if you are dating..you are with them. *shrugs* lol.

Today I learned that people are lame. Complete strangers treat one another like they're less than human. Any given day you can step into a retail store and instantly watch so much degradation and misconduct. But there are moments when you just need to applaud the human spirit. When a person places their own needs last and chooses to help other people. Today I briefly met somebody who wakes up each morning at a miserable hour just to volunteer at a local hospital. I think that's just awesome.

Okiedokes said:
There's a difference between dating and being in a relationship. A thread on here brought it to my attention. I figured if you are dating..you are with them. *shrugs* lol.

Yeah I realised that there's a difference too! Used to think that if you're dating, it means you're in a relationship.... but it doesn't necessarily mean that.

Today I learnt that perfanoff is a smart-ass. He speaks of things beyond my understanding.

I learned that messaging/texting doesn't make up for the fact that weekends are usually the only time I have some sort of life. Ah well, it'll have to do for now.

neutrinos can be used for transfer data faster than optic fiber, by letting them go through the Earth core and have this machine "catch" the information on the other side (maybe I didn't get the technical side that well)

Peaches said:
neutrinos can be used for transfer data faster than optic fiber, by letting them go through the Earth core and have this machine "catch" the information on the other side (maybe I didn't get the technical side that well)

Neutrino's don't travel faster than light (Actually it's still in dispute but it's not been proven yet), you probably wouldn't save all that much time anyway since light travels three quarters of the speed in a vacuum. The benefit would be the bandwidth, technically it would be unlimited!

But I'm not sure it would even work because they would have to use the particle's "spin" to send the information and as far as I can remember every particle is effected when emitted from the same source, aka "action at a distance".

I learned listening to Joni Mitchell all afternoon makes you want to run away to 70s California.

The problem would be the detector efficiency, I gather it would be abysmal and you would have to use incredible power inputs to create a reliably detectable signal.

I'm not up-to-date with neutrino detector efficiency, but if 99.999% pass through the entire Earth without an interaction, then you add up the terrestrial and extraterrestrial noise (there can be no insulation here).. it's a very far shot to think it's plausible at that moment.

But yeah, signal delay would be as small as the delay from a fiber optics cable going straight through the earth. Meaning you'll get a roughly 37% decrease in the latency than from conventional round-the-world means.

<Reads post on neutrino communication devices, sighs and picks up phone>

"Hello?"

"Yeah, look that idea for a really long string and a couple of yoghurt pots, I think we might be a bit behind on the technology."

"You've sent out the press releases!?"

"Okay, well lets just pretend it was a joke, its nearly April."

Latest posts

Back