Learning something new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perfanoff said:
The problem would be the detector efficiency, I gather it would be abysmal and you would have to use incredible power inputs to create a reliably detectable signal.

I'm not up-to-date with neutrino detector efficiency, but if 99.999% pass through the entire Earth without an interaction, then you add up the terrestrial and extraterrestrial noise (there can be no insulation here).. it's a very far shot to think it's plausible at that moment.

But yeah, signal delay would be as small as the delay from a fiber optics cable going straight through the earth. Meaning you'll get a roughly 37% decrease in the latency than from conventional round-the-world means.

Yes I was going to point out the delay between the detectors, I don't think there would be many (if any) advantages for doing this, I think it would just be a proof of concept project, costing millions in tax.

I think fiber optics is the choice for the modern family.

I learned that I can't be bothered to read most of the other threads anymore. Guess I'm getting lazy.

9006 said:
perfanoff said:
The problem would be the detector efficiency, I gather it would be abysmal and you would have to use incredible power inputs to create a reliably detectable signal.

I'm not up-to-date with neutrino detector efficiency, but if 99.999% pass through the entire Earth without an interaction, then you add up the terrestrial and extraterrestrial noise (there can be no insulation here).. it's a very far shot to think it's plausible at that moment.

But yeah, signal delay would be as small as the delay from a fiber optics cable going straight through the earth. Meaning you'll get a roughly 37% decrease in the latency than from conventional round-the-world means.

Yes I was going to point out the delay between the detectors, I don't think there would be many (if any) advantages for doing this, I think it would just be a proof of concept project, costing millions in tax.

Yeah pretty much.
Anyway, research is what drives this world, so let them spend their millions.

Don't forget how the transistor came :)

perfanoff said:
9006 said:
perfanoff said:

Yeah pretty much.
Anyway, research is what drives this world, so let them spend their millions.

Don't forget how the transistor came :)

No! I prefer the vacuum tubes, I liked having a room dedicated to my TV :D

I learned that I can be victim to the same paranoia and acting out that I accuse others of. I feel like a childish *******, but I improve from these moments of stupidity. Also, I learned that I can be very irrational. I was told to get this abnormal amount of fluid around my gall bladder checked out, but I prefer blissful ignorance and can't stand waiting rooms. It can't be too serious, right? Right?! Le sigh.

flaneur said:
I was told to get this abnormal amount of fluid around my gall bladder checked out, but I prefer blissful ignorance and can't stand waiting rooms. It can't be too serious, right? Right?! Le sigh.

Hey, you should check it out .. better earlier than later.. trust me.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I learned a little about maladaptive daydreaming disorder, and I should read more about it so I can end up thinking I have it only to remember that diagnosing my own self is a pretty bad and silly thing to do.

I learned that there's a movie playing with free admission. I didn't think such a thing was possible, especially not in NYC.

I've learned that i've still got problems and shouldnt keep them burried. I should stay motivated to sorting them out

I learned Sigur Ros is perfect train music especially with a beautiful cloudy sunset to look at.

May sound really stupid - but I used to think the uvula was what people were referring to when saying "tonsils"... Of course the spelling/saying of "tonsils" and not tonsil implies TWO not one thing in your mouth, but that never occurred to me. My sister laughed her ass off at me when it came out that I got confused.

perfanoff said:
I learned again that Eminem's old stuff is awesome.

You mean his evaluations on patent applications? :D

Latest posts

Back