pet peeve about people in relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbaloot said:
If you find it that rude, I don't see why you'd have anything to do with them or still suffer their company. If you still like them as a person, I don't see why you wouldn't bring it up to them.
I have never in my life found this tendency to be annoying, not even when I was single. I simply left them alone and moved on. Couples usually prioritize each other over others, I accept that, I never felt any ill-will or annoyance towards anyone who did. I still find the sour grapes attitude about it to be unreasonable.

There are some profoundly wrong things with your statement. "Them" as a person? So they are not individuals in a relationship? That sort of annoys me because I hate sheeple who are not individuals. Maybe I am being pedantic and misread what you meant.
You should not have to bring it up... If they are being rude then they are being rude and you should not have to talk to them about it. Yes leave them to grow up together alone with no friends if they choose to be rude and ignore friends in their presence.

I realise how I could sound very bitter but I really am not. I just hate how rude some couples can be in this area. It actually sounds to me like you have not actually met some couples who do this all the time in social situations.

It sounds to me like you are thinking of smaller normal common gestures and public affection which is totally fine and nice to see people being happy together do not get me wrong. There is a limit though where it becomes socially unacceptable and can be very rude.

No one really needs to cater to you or your needs, especially when it comes to how they behave with each other in their relationship. Would it be nice if they were a little more considerate? Maybe. But is it worth being remotely bothered by? Absolutely not. People are often self-absorbed, they are often inconsiderate, and no amount of anyone being irritated by it will change that or accomplish anything but make you feel worse. Just simply leave them to do as they will and do your own thing. I can think of few situations where you have to be around close couples, and usually, if you find your own relationship, or even your own lot in life to keep busy with, you really don't care about what other people do (when no one is being directly harmed anyway)

Also, I meant "them as a person" as in, one party in the relationship. That was my error in English. But, certainly, a relationship is a "them" :)

Barbaloot said:
No one really needs to cater to you or your needs, especially when it comes to how they behave with each other in their relationship. Would it be nice if they were a little more considerate? Maybe. But is it worth being remotely bothered by? Absolutely not. People are often self-absorbed, they are often inconsiderate, and no amount of anyone being irritated by it will change that or accomplish anything but make you feel worse. Just simply leave them to do as they will and do your own thing. I can think of few situations where you have to be around close couples, and usually, if you find your own relationship, or even your own lot in life to keep busy with, you really don't care about what other people do (when no one is being directly harmed anyway)

Also, I meant "them as a person" as in, one party in the relationship. That was my error in English. But, certainly, a relationship is a "them" :)

Yes ofcourse no one needs to cater to your own needs and ofcourse considering this subject it is not a need for them to behave as YOU wish in the first place anyway, that would just be selfish... There is a point where it does become very inconsiderate though. It is a shame when good friends find someone and just get totally absorbed with each other to the point that they ignore everything and everyone around them especially in social situations. Things will irritate you in life whether you like it or not because some people can be so ignorant sometimes.

You find as you grow up couples will do this less and less in social situations, especially the more mature people and couples probably because it is rude, immature and as you said not very considerate. It really is something that mostly includes younger new couples who have some infactuation for each other.

ShybutHi said:
Barbaloot said:

Yes ofcourse no one needs to cater to your own needs and ofcourse considering this subject it is not a need for them to behave as YOU wish in the first place anyway, that would just be selfish... There is a point where it does become very inconsiderate though. It is a shame when good friends find someone and just get totally absorbed with each other to the point that they ignore everything and everyone around them especially in social situations. Things will irritate you in life whether you like it or not because some people can be so ignorant sometimes.

You find as you grow up couples will do this less and less in social situations, especially the more mature people and couples probably because it is rude, immature and as you said not very considerate. It really is something that mostly includes younger new couples who have some infactuation for each other.

If your friends essentially cut you off for a new relationship, they were probably not very good friends to begin with. But still, there's no point in being annoyed. If they didn't give a honeysuckle about you, there's no point in giving a honeysuckle about them. Live your own life, do awesome things and you won't have to care.

I still know and have known plenty of older couples who don't want much of anything to do with other people. Sometimes it gets more pronounced as they get older. I would even hazard to say that most couples in my area are that way. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It just often goes with the territory of being in a close relationship with someone... and how difficult it is to find anyone worth being friends with. But, live and let live, it's not my business.

I see no problem with lovers having their own language and spending time apart from the rest of us. Private jokes, the giggling, the wish to be alone with each other... there's absolutely nothing wrong with these things. Even in older, more mature couples.

Barbaloot said:
If your friends essentially cut you off for a new relationship, they were probably not very good friends to begin with. But still, there's no point in being annoyed. If they didn't give a honeysuckle about you, there's no point in giving a honeysuckle about them. Live your own life, do awesome things and you won't have to care.

I still know and have known plenty of older couples who don't want much of anything to do with other people. Sometimes it gets more pronounced as they get older. I would even hazard to say that most couples in my area are that way. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It just often goes with the territory of being in a close relationship with someone... and how difficult it is to find anyone worth being friends with. But, live and let live, it's not my business.

Well some people are easily influenced by others and also go off in their own little world with their partner which I think is actually a real shame Barb. I think people should keep friends whether they are single friends or other couples. Infact I could say a good old friend is even worth more in life than a new partner.

I was not talking about older couples going off and doing their own thing. I was talking about the fact older couples do less personal banter and gestures and stuff with each other when out in social situations with friends. That is atleast what I have witnessed. They do not keep everything to themselves as much quite as much and share more with friends. Feel no need to have lots of silly immature banter with their partner infront of people because, maybe for some, they are more comfortable with their relationship and are with each other all the time anyway so they involve themselves with their peers rather than just being indulgent with themselves. lol :p

ShybutHi said:
Barbaloot said:

Well some people are easily influenced by others and also go off in their own little world with their partner which I think is actually a real shame Barb. I think people should keep friends whether they are single friends or other couples. Infact I could say a good old friend is even worth more in life than a new partner.

I was not talking about older couples going off and doing their own thing. I was talking about the fact older couples do less personal banter and gestures and stuff with each other when out in social situations with friends. That is atleast what I have witnessed. They do not keep everything to themselves as much quite as much and share more with friends. Feel no need to have lots of silly immature banter with their partner infront of people because, maybe for some, they are more comfortable with their relationship and are with each other all the time anyway so they involve themselves with their peers rather than just being indulgent with themselves. lol :p

Well, I'll be sure to hold you to this philosophy when you meet a girl. :p

Barbaloot said:
Well, I'll be sure to hold you to this philosophy when you meet a girl. :p

Hahaha :p I wont meet a girl I am unattractive physically and mentally to women, but I am the sort of person who sticks by their philosophy anyway.

Badjedidude said:
shybuthi said:
I wont meet a girl I am unattractive physically and mentally to women

Well you sure won't meet one with THAT attitude.

I think it is true though.
Although I am not all knowing and can not predict the future and neither can you. :p

baby talk is so gross and annoying i hope one day when i am married or something that i never do that

ShybutHi said:
Badjedidude said:
shybuthi said:
I wont meet a girl I am unattractive physically and mentally to women

Well you sure won't meet one with THAT attitude.

I think it is true though.
Although I am not all knowing and can not predict the future and neither can you. :p

Stop mind reading. It's a cognitive distortion that leads to depression.

When they can't do anything by themselves. Everything they do, their significant other has to be involved.

EDIT: Not saying that everyone does this, but the people that do....******* annoying lol.

My Brother does this. Makes me laugh. Trust issues I think. I don't let relationships get that bad before ending. I am glad that I have standard, even if it does mean I am not right for most women :)

My goodness it annoys me, consistently reminding me of what I don't have.

My grandparents and parents are the types of couples that finish each others' sentences, have goofy little sickeningly sweet nicknames for each other, give each other little slaps, pats, pinches and have secret little convos just by making eye contact. I LOVE it...I WANT it....in no way, do I get irritated with it. It tickles me to watch them, and I can only HOPE that one day I am so fortunate as to find that same 'bond' with someone.

Barbaloot said:
Yeah, god forbid we just be happy for other people's happiness instead of being bitter and jealous about it.

Maybe you deserve to be alone if you can't be happy for other people?

Can't you be both? I feel happy for people who find their significant other, but it also makes me feel even more lonely and, yes, envious.

i know, right?

i long for the day when i am completely codependent on another person for even basic human functionality and pervert the english language into some sort of backwoods hermit-speak.

You know what I hate? People who use the phrase "I love you" in every ******* sentence when they don't really mean it!!
They make the word is so empty! >.<

Well I'm definitely not in danger of losing myself.
But I enjoy inside jokes and the like :)

Latest posts

Back