Thinking about online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackdot said:
I have found that the best way to get contacted by people on pay sites like Match is to let your account expire. Out of the blue people will start trying to contact you.

Just don't pay to re-join to see who they were. Most are fake accounts.

Match used to have a loophole in their system where you could figure out who mailed you even if you no longer had a pay account. I would get these mails and I would check who wrote it. In most cases it was someone whose account vanished after 1 day. Other times it was someone that had no single similarity to me.
Once you pay to get an account again, no more messages come your way.

I knew it!! I've seen that my account has views on it bu they had no pictures or anything. Those scumbags would of course make bot accounts to lure people in. That's the main reason why I don't like dating websites is because of stuff like this. I had that done to me on zoosk. But I have heard that tinder(which I have not downloaded yet) is rather legit.

Got a little update for you all.

Well I set up a profile on okcupid.. haven't filled in all the profile yet. It's kind of late here and my brain doesn't really want to think anymore lol. Feel a little freaked out about it all already as I had a message before I'd even filled anything in.. which just seems weird to me lol. I'll probably fill in the rest tomorrow and then freak out some more :p

A couple of quick questions:

Should I limit my profile to okcupid members only? - I wondered if there was a privacy/security issue here.
Also there's a 'pick 3 people' part of the setup.. do I need to do that.. feels kinda weird this early on with no info.

Katerina said:
Got a little update for you all.

Well I set up a profile on okcupid.. haven't filled in all the profile yet. It's kind of late here and my brain doesn't really want to think anymore lol. Feel a little freaked out about it all already as I had a message before I'd even filled anything in.. which just seems weird to me lol. I'll probably fill in the rest tomorrow and then freak out some more :p

Should I limit my profile to okcupid members only? - I wondered if there was a privacy/security issue here.
Also there's a 'pick 3 people' part of the setup.. do I need to do that.. feels kinda weird this early on with no info.

I would limit to OKC members only, no real reason, except that at least you're only going to be viewed by people who've actually gone through the same process.

Doing this doesn't exactly bulletproof your privacy/security - but do be careful what information you give and be very careful with pictures - if you use a picture that exists elsewhere on the web, say on a work page or something, there are programs that can match pictures and so someone could find a lot of info about, so be careful.

I think the match 3 people is just to get a rough idea, I don't think it makes all that much difference, it doesn't mean you'll be contacted by them or have to contact them!

I am wishing you lots of luck with this!

ETA: you will get lots of messages. You can search OKC and select "who's new" as a filter, some people do this so they can message people they haven't messaged before, you'll have to learn to filter out a lot of nonsense!

If you get stuck post here, it will be interesting to see how you get on!

I just scared off another person on a dating website. This time it's someone I used to know in person! ha ha ha!

Multiple times now, just by initiating a conversation has turned into the person on the other end saying they are tired of dating websites and instantly deleting their account.

Katerina said:

I never have my profile get shown outside the website. I didn't noticed OK did that. I know Match does. Always thought it was creepy thinking my picture was going to show up on some advertisement on webpages for people I know at work or in person to see.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to the pick 3 though.

The 'pick 3' thing is at the end of the profile setup where I think it wants me to pick 3 guys I'm attracted to that are near to my location. I think the idea is that okcupid does some number crunching on what kind of person I'm looking for. Well I did what it wanted.. in fact I think I clicked on 2 instead of 3.. so who know's what the third one is lol.

I changed the settings to make it more private, including visitor notifications, as I didn't really like them. The photos on the site I haven't used anywhere else but I still think I'd be an easy person to track down to anyone who tried hard enough as I need to have an online profile as an artist and my name is pretty unique too.

I have to say there is part of me thinking 'what have I done?' and wanting to quit out of the awkwardness of things lol :D

I had someone track me down and figure out my e-mail address and contact me. She and I talk periodically in e-mail. She is sort of a match for me but sort of not. I'm probably too picky to date her but it is nice to have someone talk to me. I especially like that she hunted me down. A lot of people freak out about someone stalking you down like that. I find it a turn on especially since I do the same thing. I just don't contact the person. :)

You can make a fun game out of trying to hunt down people on the web that you see on a dating site by using the information they put in their profile.

blackdot said:
I just scared off another person on a dating website. This time it's someone I used to know in person! ha ha ha!

Multiple times now, just by initiating a conversation has turned into the person on the other end saying they are tired of dating websites and instantly deleting their account.

I honestly don't think that's true. Unless you are writing all sorts of insulting stuff in your conversations. And I doubt that. I just don't buy that you are some sort of poison and the second you get in touch with people they run a mile.

Katerina said:

I never have my profile get shown outside the website. I didn't noticed OK did that. I know Match does. Always thought it was creepy thinking my picture was going to show up on some advertisement on webpages for people I know at work or in person to see.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to the pick 3 though.

blackdot said:
I had someone track me down and figure out my e-mail address and contact me. She and I talk periodically in e-mail. She is sort of a match for me but sort of not. I'm probably too picky to date her but it is nice to have someone talk to me. I especially like that she hunted me down. A lot of people freak out about someone stalking you down like that. I find it a turn on especially since I do the same thing. I just don't contact the person. :)

You can make a fun game out of trying to hunt down people on the web that you see on a dating site by using the information they put in their profile.

So somebody is interested in you yet you reject them out right without giving them a chance ?

And then you complain nobody wants you ?

Sorry to be harsh but you need to change the way you think.

Triple Bogey said:
So somebody is interested in you yet you reject them out right without giving them a chance ?

You're absolutely right. This person may or may not have been the right one but to jump to a conclusion that there was something the matter with them just shows cold feet.

Triple Bogey said:
blackdot said:

I haven't rejected them. They live too far away to meet. But given what I know about her, it would be an extreme struggle since some important things we are completely different on.

Don't need to change the way I think.

I understand that so much of this is soul-destroying especially when you get no replies in, what, 18 months? I've even seen some posts of men who claim to have a lifetime reply rate of literally 0%, as in, no replies ever, on any site!

I was on a site for 3 weeks and got at least 8 replies from different women in that time. Sometimes, given what I see here, especially from "WalkingDead" and others, I consider myself lucky. But then, all of it fizzled out very quickly, and I still had to go through much aggravation and much reassessment of self worth. The fact that it was so painful, just shows how insecure I still am. I won't be going back on ANY of those sites, at all, until I learn to like myself completely, and feel complete by myself. I think everyone else should do the same, if they haven't already.

The other thing I wanted to say, for those who are absolutely *certain* it's only the top 5% of men getting replies. Well, since you've come this far already, why don't you test the theory? And In this way: include the same pictures you usually use. But add an extra 20K or even 30K onto your income. If you don't have a college degree, add one in. Or two.

To avoid local people finding you, see if you can place this profile in a different location. Check to see how much your luck changes.

If there is no obvious improvement, then you know the problem is either:

1) Photos not good enough (there's a reason people are asking professionals to do this, nowadays!) It's not always one's looks, but crappy photos, that ruin everything.
2) Response content, or timing of responses, is off. This is something where if you don't know it innately, you need loads of experience and/or advice to make it work.

Obviously, the intention is NOT to deceive, so do not follow up in conversations. This is more a test to see what your problem is. Again I do not advocate lying.

Batman55 said:
I understand that so much of this is soul-destroying especially when you get no replies in, what, 18 months? I've even seen some posts of men who claim to have a lifetime reply rate of literally 0%, as in, no replies ever, on any site!

I was on a site for 3 weeks and got at least 8 replies from different women in that time. Sometimes, given what I see here, especially from "WalkingDead" and others, I consider myself lucky. But then, all of it fizzled out very quickly, and I still had to go through much aggravation and much reassessment of self worth. The fact that it was so painful, just shows how insecure I still am. I won't be going back on ANY of those sites, at all, until I learn to like myself completely, and feel complete by myself. I think everyone else should do the same, if they haven't already.

The other thing I wanted to say, for those who are absolutely *certain* it's only the top 5% of men getting replies. Well, since you've come this far already, why don't you test the theory? And In this way: include the same pictures you usually use. But add an extra 20K or even 30K onto your income. If you don't have a college degree, add one in. Or two.

To avoid local people finding you, see if you can place this profile in a different location. Check to see how much your luck changes.

If there is no obvious improvement, then you know the problem is either:

1) Photos not good enough (there's a reason people are asking professionals to do this, nowadays!) It's not always one's looks, but crappy photos, that ruin everything.
2) Response content, or timing of responses, is off. This is something where if you don't know it innately, you need loads of experience and/or advice to make it work.

Obviously, the intention is NOT to deceive, so do not follow up in conversations. This is more a test to see what your problem is. Again I do not advocate lying.

I invited a guy up once. Made him wealthy and good looking. I (He) got 30 replies in 20 minutes. Some of them very risky. This was on POF. I changed it to make him unemployed and the interest died off very quickly.

Triple Bogey said:
I invited a guy up once. Made him wealthy and good looking. I (He) got 30 replies in 20 minutes. Some of them very risky. This was on POF. I changed it to make him unemployed and the interest died off very quickly.

My idea is more about practicality, and figuring out what one's problem is within the realm of online dating. Of course, an attractive and wealthy guy will get lots of replies. That said, men who are both highly attractive and wealthy are very rare. Using this template is therefore not useful, other than to affirm the fact that humanity chooses the superficial above all else.

But let's use a more realistic and civilized voice, now. Most men AND women are between average and mediocre in all the areas that "count" in today's mating world. Also, MOST men and women (who, like I just said, are mediocre) do get dates, do have relationships, and so on.

So this is about pinpointing one's problem. As I said it's done by using the same photos one would usually put up, but, if you're a man, enhancing one's statistics a little bit--the things that COULD be changed, not things like height or essential physical features. Just see where it takes you. Use the knowledge you glean from it.

Batman55 said:
Triple Bogey said:

My idea is more about practicality, and figuring out what one's problem is within the realm of online dating. Of course, an attractive and wealthy guy will get lots of replies. That said, men who are both highly attractive and wealthy are very rare. Using this template is therefore not useful, other than to affirm the fact that humanity chooses the superficial above all else.

But let's use a more realistic and civilized voice, now. Most men AND women are between average and mediocre in all the areas that "count" in today's mating world. Also, MOST men and women (who, like I just said, are mediocre) do get dates, do have relationships, and so on.

So this is about pinpointing one's problem. As I said it's done by using the same photos one would usually put up, but, if you're a man, enhancing one's statistics a little bit--the things that COULD be changed, not things like height or essential physical features. Just see where it takes you. Use the knowledge you glean from it.

I have totally lost interest in online dating. Just a waste of time and money. I went thru a phase of maybe a few years when I tried it. Nothing ever good came out of it.

Simply put, I have better things to do with my time.

Triple Bogey said:
Batman55 said:
Triple Bogey said:

I have totally lost interest in online dating. Just a waste of time and money. I went thru a phase of maybe a few years when I tried it. Nothing ever good came out of it.

Couldn't agree with you more, TB. Likewise I've got better things to do, and also, have a young family who need me.

Triple Bogey said:

This totally. I tried it maybe 3-4 years ago but gave up when all the profiles started looking the same and saw that it was hard to weed out men who just wanted to hook up or cheat on their wives from the men who wanted a serious relationship. Also, I've heard the websites manipulate what profiles members see and send fake messages to people whose memberships are about to expire - to get them to renew and pay again. And the free sites? Well as the saying goes, if it's free, you're not the customer, you're the product.
That said, if you've never tried it and are curious, there's nothing wrong with trying.

-Teresa

Semi-off topic and not addressed to anyone in particular:
Personally, I have zero respect for people who "make up" on line profiles and fresia with people's heads. People on dating sites aren't there to be your own personal experiments as to why you have no luck. Stop wasting people's time and energy.

Latest posts

Back