what do you think about judging others by Religion ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stella said:
Just_Some_Dude said:
all minorities are bad.

is that ok?

i didn't single out any particular segment...:)

stella said:
So i am bigot for expressing my opinion?? i find that ironic. i have not slated anyone for supporting a particular religion, nor have i called out on anyone in particular unlike you have. i think you will find that it is you that is the rude bigot here just some dude.

as far as i am concerned people can worship whoever and whatever they like, it makes zero difference to my life. i am merely stating the facts, millions of people through out history have died in the name of religion and i don't think that it a very good thing. if you do, then you are just as deluded as the rest of the religious zealots.

yep. that's me baby. i'm a religious zealot. i come from the church of 'agnosticism'. oh, and by the way, opinions start with "i believe" or "i think" or even "in my opinion". you didn't state opinions, you stated ignorance as though it was fact.

i'm done here. i was just bored. usually i wouldn't even entertain such ignorance.

good. go back to your cave of delusion. oh and by the way, my name isn't 'baby' its Stella. :club:

haha. again with the cheap shots, and no true response to the content of my post or even a vague reference to the general point of discussion.

you must find yourself terribly frustrated at times when you are reminded that you don't have the sophistication or intelligence to back up your venomous zeal. :D

Come on people, lets play nice.

Minus said:
Come on people, lets play nice.

the "not nice" didn't start with me, i was just once again, responding truthfully to a nasty post directed at me.

the poster in question makes sweeping bigoted generalizations meant to inflame people of who have beliefs different than hers, can not back any of it up, and hides behind passive-aggressive cheap shots that are altogether unsophisiticated and not very convincing.

Better pay 'tention, folks. Minus be ready to close this shindig.

Bad Mistuh Kitty! At's a bad Mistuh Kitty!

*insert picture of Cartman hitting Mr. Kitty here*
(P.S. I was too lazy to search for one)

Certain things make my brain start to tune people out and not pay attention to them. One is religious people that feel a need to constantly discuss their faith - "The Bible says...", "The Qur'an says...", etc... Even when I am reading something, I see the word "God" and I take whatever I am reading less seriously.

Another is people that curse excessively. I can curse with the best of them and occasionally it helps emphasize a point, but I think it makes people sound like idiots when they do it all the time.

I think that religion is a strong belief is a value system. I believe in the values and virtues of the companions of teh Lord of the Rings. Honour, respect, faith in one's spirit and their friends and loved ones. Hope for brighter days to come after the darkest of times.
This is my faith :)

Orthochromatic said:
Certain things make my brain start to tune people out and not pay attention to them. One is religious people that feel a need to constantly discuss their faith - "The Bible says...", "The Qur'an says...", etc... Even when I am reading something, I see the word "God" and I take whatever I am reading less seriously.

Another is people that curse excessively. I can curse with the best of them and occasionally it helps emphasize a point, but I think it makes people sound like idiots when they do it all the time.

wow, i thought i was the only one. i see the word god and i am the same way. i take it less seriously or i dont want to read it anymore. it does fascinate me though to see the ways people respond to it. i just think its insane the things that have been done in the name of god.

as for the cursing thing, well... id probably be one of the idiots your talking about, lol. i dont even know how it started but i do it all the time. but... i do know who to say it in front of and who not to.

Just_Some_Dude said:
haha. again with the cheap shots, and no true response to the content of my post or even a vague reference to the general point of discussion.

you must find yourself terribly frustrated at times when you are reminded that you don't have the sophistication or intelligence to back up your venomous zeal. :D

i work 13 hour shifts in a hospital operating on people with serious illnesses, by the time i get home im screwed, i really don't have the brain power or desire to sit about bringing up facts and quotes and god knows what to improve my opinion, and its just that, my opinion. you are the one that got enraged by it, i wasn't attacking anyone in the first place, you started attacking me out of no where. more importantly, i really really really don't care, if that is what you want to do then go ahead carry on. are you going to make my life any worse than it already is? no. so just carry on.

Religions were created as tools to control the masses. My own view on religion in general is not favourable, however, it is everyone's personal business what they choose to believe. It wouldn't matter to me what religious beliefs or lack thereof someone holds if they do not incessantly quote <insert title of any religious scripture> because that's simply annoying (and, yeah, I consider such people 'sheeple'). I do not seek to impose my views on anyone else and in return expect the same.

That said I'm actually a believer, just not the religious kind.

Orthochromatic said:

Lol :D Same here. If I spot the word "God" in the text I often just stop reading right there.

I have stated previously in this thread that I do not approve with religions, but God itself should not be something that makes people take the text less seriously. Often God is used as a term very different from Jesus, Buddha or other religious fantasy. Scientists like Einstein used God's name quite often, and would you say that he was wrong about General Relativity because of that, or that his science was invalid because he believed in such entity as God? Of course not.

Solitary said:
I have stated previously in this thread that I do not approve with religions, but God itself should not be something that makes people take the text less seriously. Often God is used as a term very different from Jesus, Buddha or other religious fantasy. Scientists like Einstein used God's name quite often, and would you say that he was wrong about General Relativity because of that, or that his science was invalid because he believed in such entity as God? Of course not.

You're right, I should have been more specific. :) I definitely did not want to say that 'every' writing with the word 'God' in it is full of misconceptions and ridiculous notions but that quite often it is the case.

I think that Sauron was the closest to a God in the book and was as horrible as he was scary. I think that as long as our Gods are good and they have good values that work for us then we are free to prosper from their idolisation. I would not worship Sauron or any other nasty greater spirit or entity.

Silvernight I clicked on your bug and it went up a level to 86

Silvernight said:
Solitary said:

You're right, I should have been more specific. :) I definitely did not want to say that 'every' writing with the word 'God' in it is full of misconceptions and ridiculous notions but that quite often it is the case.

Indeed. Sadly, excluding those several examples of reasonable people using this term, usage of 'God' is ridiculous, just like you said. I find it excruciating to listen when my grandma starts explaining the formation of rainbow in Biblical terms. Painful :D

I am not I don't even judge between fictional and real. Values are values and hopes are hopes. They are important. I consider the characters of fiction every bit as important and as real.

Solitary said:
Scientists like Einstein used God's name quite often, and would you say that he was wrong about General Relativity because of that, or that his science was invalid because he believed in such entity as God? Of course not.

If you value Einstein's opinion about god, you should know that he also wrote something like "The word God is the product of human weakness" a year before his death.

Solitary said:
I haven't been up long, am still nursing a cup of coffee and will regret it, but I'll step back into this...

Of course god can mean things other than a religious deity. I am talking about when people are referring to the old bearded guy, etc... (or even Sauron :) ) and claiming their god of choice intervenes in day to day life. When people feel the need to tell me how "god" would feel about something, how "god" did such and such for them, how "god" took their loved one for a reason, etc... That is when I am "judgmental". I honestly do think less of those people and spend as little time around them as possible. I am not a Marxist, but one thing he had right "Religion is the opiate of mankind".

As for Einstein's religious views, they have been studied and studied. I am no historical expert on him, but I think he claimed to have been an agnostic of sorts most of the time. He did talk about his wonder of structure, nature, mysticism and spirituality in several articles and his later books. As he aged his views on religion seemed to shift around more frequently which is normal. People get more spiritual as they get older and face their own mortality. It has been several years since I have taken a physics class, but "god" isn't actually a part of his hard science from what I recall. Mass-energy equivalence is "E = mc2" not "God + (E = mc2)". God is not brought up in or used as a scientific part of General Relativity (or in Einstein's field equations).

and..... while I am freely admitting to pre-judging others here, I just noticed my new neighbor outside again. I also think less of these guys that think they are cool wearing crooked trucker hats and Ed Hardy t-shirts. I know it is suppose to be fashion thing and it is probably my age, but when I see a guy in a crooked hat - I think of Gomer Pyle. (He just looked at me with a confused stare yesterday when I pointed out his hat was crooked)

Latest posts

Back