When was the last time you made a move on someone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ONE time I made a move on someone it actually worked for me. We were in a class in college and ended up in a study group with a couple other students. Not only did we spend time with the class and study group, we ended up spending a lot of time outside of the class, like going to lunch, the occasional movie and garage sales.

Anyway, we were in my bedroom studying and then got bored with studying and started talking and listening to the stereo. We were lying next to each other just talking and I just turned towards her and kissed her. She kissed back and it was the start of a three month fling. That was the only time I really felt confident in making a move on someone.

AnonymousMe said:
Case, Ha-ha, very funny. Seriously though, I guess I should have been more specific. :p

Yeah, I like literal humor sometimes. :)

But to answer the spirit of the question, I haven't made a move on anyone since my last relationship ended two years ago. When it ended, I had no interest in dating, But when I started dating again, I became discouraged by the lack of real connections, so I've been celibate lately. It is what it is, and it's nobody's fault but mine.

I have a female friend who occasionally tries to get me to ask people out, but my heart isn't into it most of the time. Maybe sometime soon, I'll be putting the moves on the single soccer moms in the local park. That isn't creepy, right? :p

It's been 17 years. I'm not necessarily afraid of it anymore, or as shy as I used to be, but I wouldn't really know what to say aside from introducing myself. I'm just never in a position where women are around in an appropriate social setting. I've grown less and less interested in getting involved in activities that other people are interested in. I honestly can't think of a setting or an activity that I'd actually be interested in where I could meet and talk to women.

However, I did got to a Cross-Fit gym today to inquire about the programs they offer. It wasn't my intention to go for social connections though, it's just that rotating between lifting weights at the gym and P90X is getting old. I don't know what the social environment will be like, I guess I'll find out. I hope it's not a meat market with everyone trying to impress each other with how hot their bodies are. The gym I go to is like that, so I never talk to anyone. I've been going there long enough and I go so frequently that it seems the people there have just learned to leave me alone.

Also if I'm in a setting where I plan on returning to on a regular basis, I tend to avoid such interactions for fear of making that particular setting socially uncomfortable for me. Which is one of the main reasons why I avoid talking to women at work or at the gym. I would be okay with rejection, but I would never want to see that person ever again. I really do think that's one of my main hang-ups, the after-effects of romantic rejection. For me that seems worse than the actual rejection itself. The social awkwardness, the forced interaction, the fake pleasantries, and more than anything else, feeling like a big creep. That's been one of the hardest things for me to get over.

AnonymousMe said:
sk66rc,
Wait, so was that the first time you flirted with someone? How did you managed to keep the flow of the conversation? Did it all just… naturally happen as you were talking?

It wasn't the first time I've flirted with someone, though it was one of the rare times I've flirted... Small tables talks aren't really all that unusual... We just seemed to click naturally so I wanted to see how far it would go...

beautiful loser,
Well, you made the move on perfect moment: you were not in a social place; it was just the two of you in your bedroom and that gives an advantage to ALL people. I really can’t decide if it was luck or an achievement due to small confidence, but I bet many guys wish they had advantageous opportunities like yours.

Case,
Nah, I don’t think that’s creepy. You’ll start dating again before you know it, just don’t become TOO discouraged though; everything takes time.

I don't know why many people don't have the guts to go over your crush or someone you're interested in and say 'Hi'.
Last time I did that was on March 11 this year. By March 14 I was dating her. Today we're thinking about marriage (jk, not seriously, just wondering what it would be like).
So, yeah, I'm not afraid of coming up to someone and just ask them stuff. I'm a good conversationalist :cool:

jjessea said:
Also if I'm in a setting where I plan on returning to on a regular basis, I tend to avoid such interactions for fear of making that particular setting socially uncomfortable for me. Which is one of the main reasons why I avoid talking to women at work or at the gym. I would be okay with rejection, but I would never want to see that person ever again. I really do think that's one of my main hang-ups, the after-effects of romantic rejection. For me that seems worse than the actual rejection itself. The social awkwardness, the forced interaction, the fake pleasantries, and more than anything else, feeling like a big creep. That's been one of the hardest things for me to get over.

"Feeling like a creep" is low self-esteem but also social conditioning.

Less attractive men don't "make moves", the concept is alien and ridiculous; we have everything to fear and lose from the fallout of rejection.

^I dunno what the deal is with this, but good or bad, I love it when somebody quotes me.

Latest posts

Back